How/when does Ford update navigation map data?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WattsUp

Hi,

I can't find any anything online that indicates how future updates to the navigation system's maps take place with the FFE.

When I was recently on an 2013 FFE test drive, I asked about map updates and the sales-dude mumbled some things and pointed to the SD card slot inside the armrest. Based on what he mumbled, it wasn't clear if the SD card was just for updating software, or actually carries the map data. I tried to clarify, but he really didn't seem to know. Nor could he say how frequently updates could be expected.

So, is the map data in fact updated via the SD card?
Or, are the maps just kept updated automatically via the intrinsic MyFord Mobile connection? (would be cool)
Or, are we required to somehow manually update the map data if/when we choose? (i.e., go download something)

In any case, are there any hidden costs involved in keeping the maps accurate?

Thanks,
- Matt

Not positive, but it looks like Ford cars with "myford touch with navigation", such as FFE, use a new SD card to update myford touch, so I would guess a new card would have updated map data too. I don't see any kind of a schedule.
http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/software-updates-sync-myford-touch

Back