LED tail lamps or not?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WattsUp

Hi,

All the information I've found online suggests that the FFE has LED tail lamps, or at least LED "accents" on the tail lamps.

Even the factory sticker images you can bring up via the inventory search at form.com say plainly list "LED tail lamps" as a standard feature. Here's an example:
http://www.inventory.ford.com/services/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FADP3R40DL126034&refid=FD

However, when I went a Ford dealer today to test drive a 2013 FFE, I had them turn on the illumination to see how things looked. While the headlamps have LED "eye brows" (a la Audi), the rear tail lights clearly had simple incandescent bulbs in all positions (brake, tail, indicator, and back-up). I couldn't even see any LED "accents".

Can somebody with a 2013 FFE explain where, if any, what Ford means by "LED tail lamps"? Did the 2012 have LED tail lamps, but were removed for 2013, and they've forgotten to update the feature list?

Thanks,
- Matt

Does anyone know if these accent strips still exist on the 2013?

When I was at the dealer (and asked to see the illumination turned on), I didn't really notice any strips... but it wasn't dark outside.

- Matt

My 2013 FFE's manual, p 135, says the LEDs are the front side marker lamp, license plate lamp, and high-mount brake lamp. The low beam headlamps are HID (type D8S).

The rest seem to be incandescent:
High beam headlamps are H1. Brake and tail lamps are 3157K; turn lamp, 3757 AK; reverse lamp 921.

Thanks mountaineer... yeah, pretty standard stuff. I was able to find the 2013 manual online and saw those same references to LEDs.

So... the high-mount uses LEDs, but it seems misleading to list "LED tail lamps" on the window sticker if that is what they are referring to, especially if the LED accents don't exist either.

I know you are referring to the 2013 FFE, however, my 2012 does in fact have LED acccents on the headlamps and taillamps..... I gather from the posts there have been several features removed from the 2013 model - autosensing wipers, auto dimming rear view mirror, garage door opener in visor, and now the LED accent strips. Lotta bucks for a car to loose some pretty common amenities.

The "LED tail lamps" does exist on the window sticker and Its looks nice, I have used it.

http://www.lacoteimmo.com/prix-de-l-immo/location/pays/france.htm

The 2013 FFE rear tail lights do have two LED accent stripes. They come on when the running lights come on. I discovered this when I replaced one of tail lights with an LED. With the lower lamp removed the red LED accent stripes remain on. :p

jeffand said:
The 2013 FFE rear tail lights do have two LED accent stripes. They come on when the running lights come on. I discovered this when I replaced one of tail lights with an LED. With the lower lamp removed the red LED accent stripes remain on. :p
Finally got around to taking a photo when working on my tail lamp assemblies recently.

Here is (only) the LED strip illuminated:

The bottom bulb is disabled (not illuminated) in this photo.

I just wish there was some way to illuminate just these LED strips some way normally, but there isn't. They look cool!

Back