120V convenience charging cable

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountaineer

This cable, carrying a maximum of ~1.4 kW to my 2013 FFE while I get a 240V charger, is very handy as a slow expedient. Anyone wanting a second one won't find it listed online in the fordparts.com database (I've asked them to fix that), but they tell me it's part #FM5Z-10B689-A and lists for, I think, $547.62 FOB their warehouse.

This is excellent information, I've been scouring the parts website for that with no luck!

Looks like some online vendors have it for in the ~450$ range.

I'm hoping that someone sends one out to EVSE upgrade to see what they can do with it, although even then an upgraded unit would only be the "slower" 3.3 kwh Level 2 charge speed.

Here is some technical info on the cable:
http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=33360

I contacted fordpartsgiant.com and got this part number info:
Hi,

The part number is FM5Z-10B689-A and it usually takes five business days to get parts from the depot that has them.

Regards,

Brandon
Customer Service
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seems like a lot of money to me. I am geting a 240V charger installed so I will not be relying on the 120 cable except for emergencies. Seems like $450 is a lot for the 120 charger, I would think someone would put together a cheaper after market unit.

"I'm hoping that someone sends one out to EVSE upgrade to see what they can do with it, although even then an upgraded unit would only be the "slower" 3.3 kwh Level 2 charge speed."

I did send my Ford EVSE to EVSE upgrade and they told me the Ford unit was not worth upgrading. The gauge wiring was too weak and would all need to be replaced. As a courtesy they sent me the Nissan 240v upgrade and I have been using it ever since. You are correct it is only 3.3 kWh. I have a ChargePoint level 2 40 amp at home and recharge in a couple of hours. I leave the Nissan upgrade in my trunk and use it at work, it takes about 4 hours for the same level of charging. What is nice is that it has a 120v adapter so where ever I am I have the ability to charge.

Has anyone figured out how to secure the cable? I park in an area that's not great, security-wise. The lot owner would be willing to let me plug in, but I don't want to come back to a missing cable. I'm thinking of routing it through the car (with the windows JUST tight enough), but I don't really want snow/rain in the car, or tape on the windows, or someone breaking into the car because the windows are down a bit. Thoughts?

JFS said:
Has anyone figured out how to secure the cable? I park in an area that's not great, security-wise. The lot owner would be willing to let me plug in, but I don't want to come back to a missing cable. I'm thinking of routing it through the car (with the windows JUST tight enough), but I don't really want snow/rain in the car, or tape on the windows, or someone breaking into the car because the windows are down a bit. Thoughts?

One easy way is to get a "long hasp" padlock. Loop the cable around literally anything and secure it with the lock.

There is a hole in the release button for a lock to lock it to the port. I have also heard that some people loop the cord through the steering and close the window on the cord without pinching it so someone would have to break the window or cut the cord to steal it.

FFEsquared said:
There is a hole in the release button for a lock to lock it to the port. I have also heard that some people loop the cord through the steering and close the window on the cord without pinching it so someone would have to break the window or cut the cord to steal it.
Through the steering wheel?! (slaps forehead) :roll:

I've also head of creating elaborate loops through the wheel spokes with a steel cable and a padlock, or driving over the cord to "lock" it under a tire (which, btw, is very damaging to the cord).

Why do people resort to such silly things? Simply lock the EVSE unit under the hood and run the cords out the front (near the grill). Plug both ends in and done!

The cords easily fit through the front weather seal with the hood fully closed. This is as good as "locking up" the EVSE any other way, as the hood can only be opened from inside the car, but requires no special cables, locks, or parking techniques.

The worst somebody could do is unplug the EVSE or the car, but they won't be able to steal the EVSE from under the hood. (Okay, the worst they could do is damage the cords, or the car itself.)

WattsUp said:
Through the steering wheel?! (slaps forehead) :roll:

Why do people resort to such silly things? Simply lock the EVSE unit under the hood and run the cords out the front (near the grill). Plug both ends in and done!

The cords easily fit through the front weather seal with the hood fully closed. This is as good as "locking up" the EVSE any other way, as the hood can only be opened from inside the car, but requires no special cables, locks, or parking techniques.

This seems like a good idea.

The steering wheel trick might be employed to avoid using an extension cord like the above idea would require unless I didn't understand the placement.

Also, I checked and the 2015 Ford EVSE came with a hole to lock it but the 2013 one didn't.

FFEsquared said:
The steering wheel trick might be employed to avoid using an extension cord like the above idea would require unless I didn't understand the placement.
No, I think you got it.

And yes, to be fair, a "special" extension cable would actually be required when using the Ford EVSE (which has a very short wall cord) to run out from under the hood, but maybe not if using a different EVSE (with a longer wall cord).

Then again, an extension cable really should be standard equipment for anybody driving an EV, IMO. The first time you need a charge, and find a socket, three feet further than the stock EVSE cords can reach, you'll quickly decide that always carrying an extension cord is a good idea. ;)

In any case, the steering wheel + partially-closed window trick seems a bit precarious and, since it might be strange-looking, likely to attract unwanted attention.

We lock our EVSE under the hood when concerned about safety. I have a heavy duty extension cord which is properly rated for the amperage pulled by the EVSE. It works quite well.

I'm a bit confused about this post, so please bear with me. Does the car come standard with a plug / cable that allows it to be plugged in to a 120 volt household circuit? Or, is this what is being referred to here? I'm about to pull the trigger on a FFE, and it will be a few weeks before I will have my 240V charger installed at home. I was assuming that in the meantime, I had everything I needed to charge on a 120V circuit.

Keith

campfamily said:
Does the car come standard with a plug / cable that allows it to be plugged in to a 120 volt household circuit?
Yes the plug/cable is called an EVSE or "charger" (even though it isn't a charger). Ford calls it a "convenience charging cable".
2014driveelectric2.JPG

The Ford EVSE is the one on the far right (the middle one is a Clipper Creek LCS-25p and the left one is a JuiceBox premium).

Thanks, guys. Appreciate the clarification. Was figuring the car would come with a standard charger for household current. Assuming I make a deal for the car (working with a dealer right now), I'll end up having to use it for a couple of weeks before I get my 240V charger installed.

Keith

There is a place under the hatchback to store the FFE's included 120V EVSE unit+cable.
I keep it there for emergencies and if you need to charge away from home anywhere there is a 120V outlet.
In my garage I have my 240V/30A Schneider EVSE unit for home regular fast charging.

I used the Ford 120V unit for a few weeks when I first got my FFE last year until my 240V garage EVSE unit was installed.
Its OK for charging over 50% overnight if you aren't making long trips everyday.
But the 240V/30A EVSE can do a full charge in under 3 hours even if the FFE's battery was nearly empty.

Don't underestimate the utility of the stock 120V cord. It's not just for emergencies.

Personally, I use my 120V cord at work all the time. With 10 hours or so to spare during the day (while working) you can easily put back 50% charge by the end of the day. My company has installed several 120V wall sockets dedicated to EV charging for this purpose (we have over 100 EVs were I work).

Likewise, I used the 120V cord on a weekend trip once. With two nights (12 hours or so) parked at my destination I was able to charge back to 100% for the trip home, even with a few small trips around the vicinity while visiting.

JFS said:

I park on the cord and have no problems.

Back