Things new onwer should know?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naterry

Hi, I just leased a 2012 FFE and expect it to be shipped next week. Since I get the car from out-of-state, I won't have SA to go through the car with me. So I was wondering what things I should know as a new owner (never own an electric car before). Thank you.

Hi and welcome!

That is a big question. I would suggest going through the tips and tricks in this forum. Are you familiar with electric vehicles in general? Do you want to know about efficient driving? 240 chargers? How the stereo works? Ask away!

Put the Key in your pocket, get in the car. with the shifter in Park step on the brake and push the Start button. Drive away. Enjoy a great driving experience.

As danholl mentioned, make sure you hold down the brake pedal when you press on Start button. If you don't, then the car will be able to move about 20 feet and then it will stop (I made that mistake and was confused for a bit, wondering what was wrong).

It's a great car. Welcome to the family. :D

Thank you all. I am glad I join this family and can't wait to drive this car. :)

Yes, I definitely wanted to know about efficient driving since I need to commute long distance (60 miles round trip). Since I have solar system at home, it is better not to charge the car anywhere else.

Step on brake when pushing the start button is a good example. I wanted to know any stupid things I should not do on this car. Oh...is there a document showing where to download Ford Mobile App and how to use it? I searched Apple Store and couldn't find the app.

Also, I was thinking to join Blink network in case I need to charge on the road. I heard they also provide 110V. Do I still need to pay if I use 110V?

Thanks again. Merry Christmas.

naterry said:
Can you tell me where I can find the tips and tricks in this forum? :)

Thanks.

There isn't a tips section, just read through all the posts.

I'm not sure what the dealer does when they go through the car with you, my dealer didn't do it with me. They suggested I could schedule it, but it seemed to be on me to make it happen and I wasn't THAT interested.

Get a Level II charger if you need a full charge available for next morning AND you almost deplete the battery in the course of your driving (40+ miles day). If you just run errands you might find the 120v charger to be sufficient for topping off. I went ahead and installed a level II anyway. I've used it once in the month I've had it installed.

naterry said:
I have installed a Schneider Level 2 charger. Very useful....
If you end up needing to use public charging, Blink and ChargePoint are two of the bigger networks. And getting an RFID card from them ahead of time will expedite things, as many sites begin billing to charge. Recargo.com and Plugshare.com are charge site aggregators that have websites and smartphone apps to help you locate charge sites if the need arises.

Back