60 miles a day

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naterry

Hi, I need to commute 60 miles a day. 90% of them are freeway. Can FFE make it in a single charge, especially in Phoenix summer?

Thank you.

My commute in San Diego is about 50 miles/day. I have plenty of charge left at the end of a typical day. I've only run the air a little, but it did not seem to use much energy. The heater is a different story, it uses a lot of energy. You should be fine with your 60 mile commute.

Keep in mind the FFE is liquid cooled - which is very important in Arizona. The Leaf I think it air cooler and I have heard of problems in that state. Your driving habits will greatly impact the range, as will running the AC.

I downloaded an iphone app called Recargo as was total amazed at how many charging places there are around. I hope to purchase a FFE tomorrow and it will take a week or so the get the 220 installed at home, so I am drive to the dealer which is about 4 miles from work and charge while I eat lunch near by. So there are options if you think you will not make it. Good luck

I would say yes. My commute is 56 miles round-trip and I often add ~5 miles running errands. Without extra trips, I regularly return home with 22-25% charge remaining or 15-20 miles of range. I purchased in July and live in SoCal so I've seen my share of hot days here. I would run the A/C at 72 deg. and never felt concerned about range. Note that if you drive 70-80 MPH average you can expect your range to decrease by 10 miles, so you may have to adjust down to 65 MPH average (which appears to be a sweet spot for speed vs. range) to get there easily in summer.

hplbiking said:
Keep in mind the FFE is liquid cooled - which is very important in Arizona. The Leaf I think it air cooler and I have heard of problems in that state. Your driving habits will greatly impact the range, as will running the AC.

That's why I have spot on FFE now. Thank you.

Thank you for all of your responses. I am little more confident now. Few questions regarding to the charging.

Normally, what is the cost to use charging station on the street? I know there are two big networks available, blink and charging point. Which one is better?

Thanks.

I drive 60 miles a day easily on the battery.

If you are driving 80+ on the freeway and it is uphill though, be careful. But you can easily get that on a fresh battery.

The best charging stations are the free ones. :)

I would just go based off of rate and convenience. It ranges from free - $2 an hour. With the Ford Focus' charger, charging is really quick compared to a Leaf or a Volt.

Download all the apps like Plugshare, Chargepoint, Blink, etc and then just see whatever is around your area.

thait84 said:
I drive 60 miles a day easily on the battery.

Can you share the percentage of freeway and surface street for those 60 miles you drive every day? I need to drive 90% on the freeway so not sure whether FFE still can make it.

Thank you.

I'd say 80% of my commute is freeway or at freeway speeds.

I drive 56.6 miles round trip and 12 miles of those are surface streets. There are at least 4 of those surface street miles where my average is 50-60 MPH.

Back