DonoraiL

Down hill gental bake or coast? for recharge

Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:40 am

I live in Los Angeles, CA USA area and I go down some long hills. I have been lightly braking thinking that I am engaging the generator function of the motor (because of the indication on the dash), but not wearing the brake pads, but I wonder if the car automatically regenerates while coasting or maybe in "low" gear. Anyone know for sure the best way to recoup energy on long down hills?

GTOGreg

Re: Down hill gental bake or coast? for recharge

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:51 am

DonoraiL wrote:I live in Los Angeles, CA USA area and I go down some long hills. I have been lightly braking thinking that I am engaging the generator function of the motor (because of the indication on the dash), but not wearing the brake pads, but I wonder if the car automatically regenerates while coasting or maybe in "low" gear. Anyone know for sure the best way to recoup energy on long down hills?
Ride the brakes...that's what I do. I gain +8 on my little "video game" every morning coming down my grade. L is an engine brake and if anything cuts into your energy efficiency...you won't regenerate as such. I thought using L might provide some efficiency coming back up the hill at the end of my commute, but i haven't found it to be any more efficient than just keeping it in drive.

Now, if you're starting out with a full charge and have no place to store the regen, then it might make sense to "downshift" to L and preserve some brake wear while offsetting the distance to get down the hill.

yakers

Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:52 pm

Thanks for the response, I had the same question. So I will keep light pressure on the brake on long downhills (I also live in LA area) and skip trying to figure out if low has any usefullness. Just one thing, I thought if the brake is pressed lightly the brake pads don't engage and I didn't think regenerative braking wore out anything, am I wrong?

danholl
Site Moderator

Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:39 am

yakers wrote:Thanks for the response, I had the same question. So I will keep light pressure on the brake on long downhills (I also live in LA area) and skip trying to figure out if low has any usefullness. Just one thing, I thought if the brake is pressed lightly the brake pads don't engage and I didn't think regenerative braking wore out anything, am I wrong?
Pressing the brake part way brakes with regen. Brake pads don't apply until pedal is further depressed. It usually obvious when they engage as much stronger braking occurs. That is why it is recommended to start gently braking a ways before you want to stop. Don't roar up to the red light or stop sign and then Jam on the brakes. Then you get no regen and do wear out your brake pads.

GTOGreg

Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:42 am

danholl wrote:
yakers wrote:Thanks for the response, I had the same question. So I will keep light pressure on the brake on long downhills (I also live in LA area) and skip trying to figure out if low has any usefullness. Just one thing, I thought if the brake is pressed lightly the brake pads don't engage and I didn't think regenerative braking wore out anything, am I wrong?
Pressing the brake part way brakes with regen. Brake pads don't apply until pedal is further depressed. It usually obvious when they engage as much stronger braking occurs. That is why it is recommended to start gently braking a ways before you want to stop. Don't roar up to the red light or stop sign and then Jam on the brakes. Then you get no regen and do wear out your brake pads.

+1

You'll get the hang of braking early. It isn't going to wear any more than the late brake/high friction stop. It will feel natural...and if you're applying too much brake you will stop ;)

dwf123

Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:42 am

Gentlemen,
Check the owner's manual. "D" Drive will begin regenerating when you take your foot off the accelerator. "L" Low increases generation and slows the auto down faster. Lightly pressing the brake adds to the regeneration when in D or L. "N" Neutral is pure coasting. In ICE automobiles the brake pads lightly touch the rotors or drums during all periods of driving and is why even in neutral a car will slow down. In the FEE the brake pads are completely disengaged.

I live in RI and commute over two very tall bridges daily. I have experimented with using drive and low on the down side of the bridges and coasting in neutral. By far the fastest way to regenerate is using neutral and not using any energy to operate. Time your crest on the hill and slip into neutral and your car will coast many miles. If you begin traveling too fast slip into drive or low and it will slow down considerably. Using neutral to approach stop lights is another great advantage. Just be careful of who is behind you, because the brake lights do not come on. I really enjoy this slight re-creation of a manual transmission and it keeps my watts per mile average pretty solid.

Kindly, Wood Foss
2012 Ford Focus Electric. Delivered 5/29/2012

Yoyogee

Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:48 pm

No brake lights in Neutral!!!! (That sounds like a class action lawsuit in waiting). Thanks for the tips!

danholl
Site Moderator

Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:53 am

No cars have brake lights on when in neutral and brakes are not applied.

All cars including the EV have brake lights when you step on the brakes no matter what gear you are in including neutral.

It is not recommended by any manufacturer that you put the car in neutral to coast.

BuddhaGorilla

Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:34 am

Anyone else doing the neutral for downhill coasting? I have a lot of low grade hills where I can preserve my speed in neutral but staying in drive w/ regeneration slows me down too much and I need to lightly press the accelerator.

Anything wrong with coasting in neutral?

DavidJohnson

Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:31 am

I don't recommend anyone operate their vehicle (any kind of vehicle) in neutral. It seems like you're taking one of the main controls away from your vehicle. I can't see where the benefit outways the potential disaster. Just my humble opinion... I'm a mechanical engineer, just not in the automotive industry.

Return to “General / Main Focus Electric Owners Forum”