Rate Aware Charging

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTOGreg

I've owned my FFEV for a week now and have been indiscriminately charging it. I have a 240v Schneider Electric charger that should be here any day now and that will get my charging window down to 3-4 hours max, so that I can accomdate a lower-cost window to charge. I've set the option ont he instrument cluster and I believe I also set it in the MyFordMobile app as well...how do I know if it is charging at preferential rates short of looking at my meter or waiting on an electric bill? I heard there was certain MSFT smart software for monitoring and enabling this, but unless something is working behind-the-scenes in super-stealth mode, I have no way of knowing for sure if it is working as it should. I'm in CA btw, so if there are any recommendations of working smartly with PG&E I'd certainly appreciate any advice.

I'm interested to know how easy to install is your Schneider Electric charger. Thanks.

If you go on your phone for MyMobileFord, there is a trip and charge log. Doesn't it tell you when the car was charging and if it was using value charge?

wplate said:
I'm interested to know how easy to install is your Schneider Electric charger. Thanks.

It's coming tomorrow (Fri). Will post up when I install. I will probably install it very close to the subpanel, since the car will be charged close-by.

thait84 said:
If you go on your phone for MyMobileFord, there is a trip and charge log. Doesn't it tell you when the car was charging and if it was using value charge?

Yeah, I think I have it figured out. I was trying to do everything from the mobile app. Logging onto the site from the computer provides more flexibility and scheduling capabilities. Once I scheduled it from there all was well. I've set it to charge between midnight and 6 am...if that's not off-peak I don't know what is. I don't think the MSFT rate-aware deal is all that sophisticated, just kind of a generic assumption of when rates are lowest. Was probably over-thinking it.

GTOGreg said:
It's coming tomorrow (Fri). Will post up when I install. I will probably install it very close to the subpanel, since the car will be charged close-by.

I ordered one and it arrived today. This weekend I'm going to look at the wall where I intend to install the unit which is basically right next to my panel. I am eager to hear how your install goes. :)

I'm seeing some videos on YouTube that make it look easy. http://youtu.be/UVTXocm8tMA

I installed my Schneider Electric 1st gen charger yesterday. It went quite smooth and only took a few hours including my trips to the hardware store. I ran my 8 gauge wire through 1/2" steel flex tubing that exited the bottom of my panel, exited the wall then went up to the charger.

The small knockout on the bottom of the charger was too small for the 1/2" flex/end adapter thing, but when I knocked out the larger ring of the knockout it was too large for the adapter. So I got a 3/4" to 1/2" reducing washer to make it fit (shown in first pic).

photo_1.JPG

photo_3.JPG

photo_4.JPG

Back