Getting Acquainted with the Focus Electric

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charged Up

stop-safely-now-550x310.jpg

Having put over 31k behind the wheel of a Volt since January 2011, I am inclined to compare the Ford Focus Electric to the Volt. But in fairness it should be said that the Volt and the FFE are not really competitors. The Ford would be best suited as a local commuter car and offers the advantage of greater electric mile range and efficiency coupled with zero emissions and zero engine maintenance. Also throw in game changing recharge times. The Volt because of its “range extending” gas engine can be driven anywhere, anytime, and offers better handling and a much more useful cargo carrying capacity. The FFE’s clear competitor is the Nissan LEAF, not the Volt.

THE JOYS OF EARLY ADOPTERHOOD

Sadly I must report a serious issue with the FFE. After about 10 days of having the car it started displaying a “Stop Safely Now” message with an exclamation mark in a red triangle symbol. Power cycling two or three times would clear it, and I could then drive.

Two other owners have reported the same issue. At least one owner reported it happening while driving down the road, and was subsequently unable to get the car to start again and had to be towed...
http://insideevs.com/getting-acquainted-with-the-focus-electric/

i had this happen the other day when I was out running an errand. Car sat for 5 minutes while I "power-cycled" - because what else can you do really? Started back up and hasn't been a problem since. Anyone know if there is a TSB for this, maybe a SW update?

Back