Under Reported Mileage on myfordmobile.com

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fluke

I keep a detailed daily mileage and charging log on both of my cars (Chevy Volt and FFE). I have found the reporting of mileage on the myfordmobile.com site to be inaccurate. The individual trip reporting number gets truncated (rather than properly rounded or reporting a fractional mile) for every trip resulting in small individual errors that add up over multiple trips to being miles off overall. The more short trips made, the worse the error gets.

Over the past week, I've kept track of the errors and they totaled 12.5 miles under reported on 231.5 miles total resulting in 5.4% under reporting of mileage. Does not sound like much, but over a year, it would under report by 650 miles over the ~12,000 miles that I typically drive.

Anyone else seeing this inaccuracy in reporting?

With the Volt, there is an opt-in website (voltstats.net) that gathers data from OnStar and accurately reports the daily mileage and other statistics. This website currently tracks about 1400 of the Volts sold to date.

I've been using both the MyFordMobile app on iPhone and myfordmobile.com website and have noticed that they truncate/round a number of reported measurements. I haven't looked at the details as much as you but will start doing that.

I just compared my odometer reading to MyFordMobile app:

1412.2 Odometer
1411 "Oil-free miles" from the website

This is not on the order of your error, but it is under-reporting the mileage. My commute is 55 miles/day on weekdays so not so many short trips and that may be the difference.

It appears to be tied to the Key Personalization feature. I think I had 11 Miles on the other key when I finally started using my key.

The Info window next to my total miles says this:

This is your personal odometer. It will not match the odometer in the vehicle, rather a total of your trip miles. This is more accurate when Key Personalization is used.

I think the overall reported miles on myfordmobile.com is probably accurate, it is the individual trip mileage figures that get truncated when you look at the "trip and charge log" details.

Not sure if it will help, but I sent an email to myfordmobile.com support to request they use 1 or 2 more significant digits instead of integers for their storage and calculation.

Back