110 Miles + CLUB

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slyastro

Ok Focus Electric owners !!

We need some competition here :mrgreen:

We know that the FFE EPA specs are 73 Miles range on one charge.

Please POST here your best range on only one charge. Reset your TRIP 1 or TRIP 2 (use detailed so that we have the KwH used).

The RULES are the following:

1) ONLY the miles TRAVELED counts (not the miles LEFT)
2) You have to return to the point of origin, so that it cancels out any change of elevation (altitude)
3) You have to start with a full charge and no recharge during the trip.

For the rest ... no restrictions (speed, tire pressure, etc). Please leave the important parameters that might affect range (radio on/off? AC on/off? weather conditions? Tire pressure?

After 5 days of ownership of the FFE, I intend to try it out THIS week ... I pretty sure I can beat the 110 miles mark ...

Please be careful to not run out of juice ... :oops:

By the way, even if you do not reach the 110 Miles, please post your best «EV Range» ... the goal is to share real life Ford Focus owners experience!

Sly

I like this idea. I'm planning on doing it next month when I'm crossing from the east coast of FL to the west coast via Alligator Alley. 90+ mile stretch of highway with only 2 rest stops and 2 exits in between!

blavenn said:
I like this idea. I'm planning on doing it next month when I'm crossing from the east coast of FL to the west coast via Alligator Alley. 90+ mile stretch of highway with only 2 rest stops and 2 exits in between!
Ha ha, well good luck and hope you don't have dinner with the gators!

The 110 mile range is based on the equivalent energy contained in one gallon of unleaded gas, roughly 34KWH. As the capacity of the FFE battery is substantially less than that, roughly 2/3, no one expects to get 110 miles on a charge.

But good luck, sly. I think it would be interesting to see what range people do get, several have already stated they exceed 80 miles, even using the AC. You would want to end up near home by the time you get down to the warning light and just keep driving around the block. None of us want to see a bunch of headlines about dead EVs in the middle of nowhere :)

I am interested to see what max range people get, but don't want anyone to get stranded!

I think you might get close to 100. My best effort is 85 miles with 9 left in battery. AC on, 60 mph cruise control, Newport north to Providence with one 15 minute stop, then south to Westerly on I-95 in coastal RI. Good luck....

A bunch of Nissan Leaf drivers have been posting drives of over 100 and 110 miles per charge. There aren't a lot of us Focus drivers yet, but I think that sets an achievable bar.

I hope to try at least a 100mi run I the next 2-3 weeks. I'm still primarily driving my gas car right now to say goodbye before I sell it.

Hello everyone!!

Okay, I did it last evening!

As you can see with the pictures as proof, I ended with 207.3 KM (128.81 Miles) !!

That means that 130+ MILES would have been possible since I had 10 KM left on the battery range!

By the way, 18.8 KwH were used, and I still had 10 KM left, meaning that I estimate that the portion that we can use out of the 23 KwH battery is around 19.6 KwH.

Conditions were optimal here:

Outside temperature was at 24° C at the beginning and 19°C at the end. No AC was needed!

I used Chemin-du-Roy (which is a small tourist secondary road that follows St-Laurence River), Between Trois-Rivieres and Quebec City. Maximum speed is between 30 MPH and 40 MPH. Almost no elevation changes (very small hills). Since I began late last evening, there was almost no traffic, so I very rarely had to come to a halt.

My average speed was between 30 and 35 MPH.

Tire pressure were at 39 PSI.

END OF TRIP: RESULTS
Arrivee-record.jpg

MID TRIP
mi-chemin-record.jpg

BEGINNING
depart-record.jpg

:D

Rwbill said:
blavenn said:
Ha ha, well good luck and hope you don't have dinner with the gators!

The 110 mile range is based on the equivalent energy contained in one gallon of unleaded gas, roughly 34KWH. As the capacity of the FFE battery is substantially less than that, roughly 2/3, no one expects to get 110 miles on a charge.

But good luck, sly. I think it would be interesting to see what range people do get, several have already stated they exceed 80 miles, even using the AC. You would want to end up near home by the time you get down to the warning light and just keep driving around the block. None of us want to see a bunch of headlines about dead EVs in the middle of nowhere :)

I am interested to see what max range people get, but don't want anyone to get stranded!

Rwbill !! Don't underestimate your FFE efficiency!! I did almost 130 MILES with a urban speed of 30-35 MPH under very good conditions !!

COOL car !!

Sylvain excellent! I have a feeling your record will stand for a while.

Hmm, have you signed up on Ford's site, you've probably unlocked an "achievement" with that.

Do I read that right 4hours 48 minutes of drive time?

That's a long time in the saddle, what did you have going for audio?

Did you get any sort of low battery warnings? If so what was the sequence of that?

Charged Up said:
Sylvain excellent! I have a feeling your record will stand for a while.

Hmm, have you signed up on Ford's site, you've probably unlocked an "achievement" with that.

Do I read that right 4hours 48 minutes of drive time?

That's a long time in the saddle, what did you have going for audio?

Did you get any sort of low battery warnings? If so what was the sequence of that?

Yes, 4 hours and 48 minutes ... if you take 128 miles divided by 35 MPH, you get over 3 hours and a half ... add the coffee stops and walk stops I made, and it match.

Yes I'm on Ford site, and got a «long distance on one charge achievement». But unfortunately, after the first stop (40 KM), I shut down the FFE for a coffee break. It's okay for the trip 2 settings since it stays there until you reset it, but it did split off the «achievement» to only 175 KM. Fortunately, I tough about that and left the FFE «ON» during the other breaks!!

Yes, the first warning came at 16 KM of range left. You get a message and then you have to push «ok» ... then the battery gets yellow instead of green. Thats it !!

For audio, I just did shutdown for half of the trip, otherwise it was music from my iPhone library ... Liked the silence when no music ... I opened the windows a little (since ventilation was off) and could hear the outside ... at this speed, even the tires are quiet!!

Sly

Very Nice!

I was interested in the terrain aspect. I have a rechargeable electric lawn mower, and if, due to rain, or laziness, I mow the lawn when it is really long, that really taxes the battery. I was wondering if people live in hilly or mountainous terrain and if hills (fighting gravity) really suck the life out of the battery.

That's pretty incredible, at that city speed you were averaging just 90wHr per km, or about 150 whr per mile, much less than the 250 - 280 people were getting, and I was expecting over 300 whr per mile. 90 whr per km is exceptional.

Hope you were near home when the warning light came on, lol. Nice job!

Rwbill said:
Very Nice!

I was interested in the terrain aspect. I have a rechargeable electric lawn mower, and if, due to rain, or laziness, I mow the lawn when it is really long, that really taxes the battery. I was wondering if people live in hilly or mountainous terrain and if hills (fighting gravity) really suck the life out of the battery.

That's pretty incredible, at that city speed you were averaging just 90wHr per km, or about 150 whr per mile, much less than the 250 - 280 people were getting, and I was expecting over 300 whr per mile. 90 whr per km is exceptional.

Hope you were near home when the warning light came on, lol. Nice job!

I was back in my neighborhood with about 18 KM left (the yellow low battery warning appears at 16 KM). I did run around my block until there was 10 KM or range left ...

Sly

Back