Rwbill

Re: Is the heater/defroster a range killer?

Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:29 am

Thanks for the info. It's a little hit and miss everywhere. Each of us has to dig around and apply to our own situation.

Rwbill

Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:44 pm

So, I'm pretty much All In. Dominion Power replaced my meter and put me on the EV Plus Whole House plan, for better or for worse. This should work okay as long as I don't have much running from 1 pm to 7 pm, which I don't. Right now the AC runs a little even when set at 80 - 82, but hopefully these 90 - 100 degree days will slacken off as it's almost September. This meter collects usage in 30 minute increments, with 0100-0500 billed at 5.+ cents per KWh, a perfect time to charge the Ford Focus Electric on Level 2. In fact, all time slots except the afternoon are billed below average. Running the electric clothes dryer after 10 pm is super cheap, but I'm not staying up til 1 am for the super duper cheap rate just to dry clothes. I'd probably be up watching reruns of King of Queens or Seinfeld, but no energy left to fold laundry.

I filled up my 4 cyl Saturn Vue yesterday, get about 28 mpg with it, staring at $50 on the pump, and wondered how many more of those I would see, as my FFE was supposedly manufactured earlier this week.

This is the new meter for the EV Plus Whole House plan.

This is a close up of the label at the bottom.

They installed it by mid morning and by 7 pm I had 15 KWH used already. Not sure what that little logo that looks like a light bulb with the "A" is. Automatic, or something. I have a fairly large house, once had 5 kids living in it, have been spreadsheeting my KWH per month for several years. July - August and Dec - Feb are peak, maybe 1300-1500 KWH, spring and lovely fall it drops to 600 - 800 KWh.

The display alternates every 3 seconds or so between this generic look showing all the icons...

And this view showing KWh used.

Next step, Tuesday meet with the Best Buy contract electrician to survey my electric panel and where I'd like the Leviton charger placed.

Next step, install the charger.

Next step, delivery from Michigan Assembly Plant to Richmond, VA.

Next step, drive home, plug it in, then drive!

Why the Leviton charger? Because my brain was too fried taking this all in so I figured I couldn't go too wrong.

msmunger52

Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:02 pm

Great info. Look forward to hearing about your experience with Best Buy and the EVSE install.

j79guy

Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:57 am

Back to the OP, is the heater a range killer? Certainly, but it depends on where you live and how severe your driving conditions. Up here in Northern British Columbia, I don't skimp on the heat. For the price I paid for this car, I'm going to be comfortable, so the climate control gets set at 21C., the seat heaters and window defrosters are on. Im seeing about a 40% reduction in range, in comparison to ideal summer driving conditions, averaging 57mph on the highway. Right now, the weather daytime highs are in the -4 C. range. (27 F.)

Robin.

msmunger52

Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:00 pm

Wow, a 40% reduction! I"m fortunate living in a mild climate. It will be interesting to see the amount of reduction I get when it gets colder down here. Thanks for the info Robin.

Hocus Focus

Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:20 pm

I turned on the heater and also notices a big hit. Go to MyViee and configure the view to show power draw. The bar moves to 5+kW when the heater is on Hi compared to3-4kW to run max AC. Seat heat seems to draw off the 12V system as Insee a slight increase in the "Other" power usage. Bundle up in he cold if you need the range to avoid using the juice!

Charged Up

Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:44 am

Hocus Focus wrote:I turned on the heater and also notices a big hit. Go to MyViee and configure the view to show power draw. The bar moves to 5+kW when the heater is on Hi compared to3-4kW to run max AC. Seat heat seems to draw off the 12V system as Insee a slight increase in the "Other" power usage. Bundle up in he cold if you need the range to avoid using the juice!

Go where to show power draw? The only place I have found that you can see energy usage is in the "Trip" log, on the left DIC. However, Ford has set that up so you can NOT get an instantaneous look at energy usage. It runs the mi/wh up to 999 and then it comes down from there as you drive along. You can get a pretty good guess.

There is an energy usage screen but that shows it in 5 minute intervals. Not fine enough to determine exactly how much any one draw might be pulling.

Rwbill

Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:33 am

We started discussing this in another thread, possibly even different forum. There is surfacing a noticeable reduction in range, and some of that even appears unavoidable as it may be going for conditioning the battery within a certain temperature range, as even if I kill the climate I still seem to be pulling 330 - 350 WHr per mile, and see a reduction in range. In the morning I drive about 20 miles and see a reduction in range of maybe 30 miles, down to 42 miles from 76 or 79.

But even this is not a big deal in my situation. If one could plug in the 110V cable after lunch or sometime and help top off or warm up the car before heading home, range won't usually be an issue.

The good news for you in San Diego is that this will rarely if ever be an issue. This extra pull did not start appearing here in Virginia until the temperatures got down well into the 40s at night with highs in the 50s, and some nights have been in the 30s so far. I noticed a slight up tick when some nights were in the 50s but by the end of the day it was pretty much back to normal and getting the normal 76+ mile range.

If your daily commute is 60 miles or less, or you have a place to plug in at work or your interim location during the day I would eliminate range and heating as a worry or consideration. This is a tremendous car, and I haven't bought any gas for my small Saturn SUV since September when I got this car.

It's a fairly sizable amount of money to lay out, but I now spend about $4-5 a week in electricity vs. $35-$40 in gasoline, which is 50 cents cheaper per gallon here in Virginia than in California.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Rwbill

Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:50 am

Please take a look at the other topic "Real Time Look at Accessory Power Consumption", or something like that. Good photos on how to see your real time usage of battery power.

j79guy

Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:55 pm

-20 celcius here, my indicated range has been reduced by 60%. I park my car in a heated garage (+5 C.) and pre-heat the car on-plug for 5 minutes before leaving for work. At work, the car is kept on-plug, but parked outside. Cold plus ice radials are range killers. My commute is short, but I did not expect this big of a hit. Otherwise the car has been great in the snow and on the ice. (Once the Blizzaks were put on.)

Robin Sipe

Return to “General / Main Focus Electric Owners Forum”