Hood Help

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fluke

Could anyone who has received their Focus Electric help me out? My car has a bumper paint problem that was discovered during installation of a clear bra that needs to be fixed before I can get the bra put on the car. When I go talk to Ford about the paint issue I want to cover another topic if its an issue with my car.

The surface of the hood at the front edge is not flush with the mating edge of the front bumper and I don't know if this is intentional - can anyone confirm? To expand on what I see on mine - if I laid a straight edge on the hood at the bumper to hood joint, there would be about a 3/16" gap between the bottom of the straight edge and the surface of the bumper.

I may have to post a picture for this to be clear...

I understand what you are talking about. When you close the hood, the hood is slightly elevated above the top edge of the front grille/bumper. My car also has a 3/16" inch elevation. I attributed that to the foam/rubber seal between the hood and frame. It didn't bother me too much.
Along the same conversation with the hood. In order to get my hood to latch securely I have to raise the lid about 18 inches and drop it, so it kinda slams shut. If I bring it down to a few inches and drop it, it will not latch securely. If I lay it on top of the frame and push on it, I cannot get it to latch. So I carefully let it slam. Now that bothers me a little. However, accept for showing of the engine, I never have to open the hood - no maintenance required.

Thanks for the reply. They may all be this way, right or wrong. The rubber seal just below the hood-to-bumper joint does not seal properly and actually sticks out on both ends on mine and I'd call the gap between panels to be excessive.

Here is a photo that may show help others understand what I'm referring to.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79851664@N08/7416588030/

Is that supposed to be a seal to keep airflow smooth to increase the CoD? Maybe sticking out a little bit is actually better then being recessed... or maybe all of them are just a little goofy.

I am not liking the picture... My seal does not stick out. Go to a dealer and compare with an instock model.

dwf123 said:
I am not liking the picture... My seal does not stick out. Go to a dealer and compare with an instock model.

If only I could go to the dealer and see another one...unfortunately, the closest dealer with cars is ~1200 miles away in New Jersey.

Fluke said:
If only I could go to the dealer and see another one...unfortunately, the closest dealer with cars is ~1200 miles away in New Jersey.

Finding an in-stock model may still be rare, but maybe someone on here who lives by one can go take a pic and post it? Or what about the salesman that is on here and posted that he had two in stock and ready to go? Time to step up and help out, show your interest in helping out an owner after-the-sale rather than getting a signature and waving bye-bye, which unfortunately too many salesmen these days tend to do...

http://www.winmedic.com/2012_Focus.htm

Here are a few pictures of mine.
Hope this will help.
If you need a close up just let me know.

Dave

Thanks for the help guys!

I have discussed the original paint chip problem with Ford and they will be doing a full strip, repaint and bake of the front bumper under warranty. I've been assured that when it is re-installed they will take care of the original incorrect installation of the bumper that resulted in excessive gaps and poor panel alignment.

I have 2012 Ev and have the same exact hood issue. I just got mine. I need to see some 2013 and see if its the hood issue only w 2012.

I also wondered about that, the hood has a slight ridge all along from left to right. I do not see any evidence of mis-assembly and it seems tight and secure. The seam is not smooth as I've come to expect in other cars, but the slight off set is uniform and everything seems tight.

I put it out of my mind but interesting to read others' reactions to it as well.

I took mine back to the dealer to have them fit the hood under warranty. Mine was the same as described here, the hood was proud of the top of the front fascia by about 5mm. The dealer was able to improve it a couple of millimetres but they said that if they lowered it anymore the hood would get into the headlamps.

Back