Owners section on the Ford Focus Electric Forum

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FocusE

Administrator
We've finally created a spot for you Ford Focus Electric owners to discuss everything related to owning and operating your Ford Focus Electric!

If there are threads in other areas of the forum that you think should be moved to this section, please send me a PM and I will move it.

Thanks!

I spent some time in the car while it was plugged in (Level 2) and the A/C (whole car) on, just reading the owner’s manual. It seemed that the A/C was drawing more current than the Level 2 cord could supply and the battery was going down while plugged in. How much power does the A/C need and is the 120V convenience cord supply enough to match the A/C need?

With Level 2, car can draw about 6.6kw from wall but then about 800watts are used for accessory. Now with full AC on, you may draw more than 5800watt and so your high voltage batt may drop but this should be a very slow and small drop.
With level 1, car can draw 1.4kw but with 400watts for accessory, you only have 1000watt Vs more than 5800watt draws with max AC. So you will deplete high voltage faster.

While in pre-conditioning (how you set up you go time and temp for car to condition for your trip), these draws are managed smartly and so high voltage battery drop in that scenario is less.

Whit - Only a nuclear engineer could answer your questions.... :D

It is hot up here in RI 92 degrees yesterday (probably not like NC) and I have been preconditioning my car every day (using evseupgrade.com level 2 - 16 amp 3.84kWH capable) and driving to work with the AC on all the time (normal "auto" not "MAX" 72 degrees). I drive a steady 60 mph on a four lane highway (old US Rt 1) with 15 stop lights and one big arse bridge, (Newport Bridge).
I am impressed. The status indicator tells me I am right on budget. My normal charged battery is 78-80 miles, I drive 38 miles and the battery reads 42 miles. My status will be +/- 2-3 miles depending on traffic and how many lights I hit. And, the auto is very comfortable.
I read people complain about the AC and Heat not being adequate but I can attest the AC in my car is very adequate for my environment. We will find out about the heat next winter.

That's encouraging news on power consumption. I was unsure how big a draw, or drop off in mile capacity using accessories would be. Does not seem significant under summer conditions.

When I turn the AC on, the battery budget drops 5 or 6 miles right then. Anybody else see that?

(RWbill, Gallman is a Mechanical Engineer at a nuclear plant )

Well, nothing yet to report as to A/C (I pick my car up on Wednesday, June 27th.) but I'm sure going to see how things work this winter. I may have the most Northern FFE (Until one shows up in Alaska.), and it does get cold here. No doubt in a few months, I'll be reporting on the opposite end of the heat/cold spectrum from you guys.

Robin Sipe.

whitgallman said:
When I turn the AC on, the battery budget drops 5 or 6 miles right then. Anybody else see that?
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

5 or 6 miles running the AC is certainly something I could live with, insignificant on a 25 mile return trip home from work in the afternoon. That's good news, if you could trust a Mechanical Engineer.

The next thing would be winter of course, keeping the windshield warm enough to not ice up, maybe running the elements in the rear window for a few minutes too. Again this is starting to point up to probably not much of an issue with a round trip under 60 miles or one way of 25 or so, even with a side trip to Target on the way home.

Whit and Rwbill -
I also see a drop of 5 miles on the battery gauge. I found if I start the car ahead of time, while plug-in, I do not loose the 5 miles. I think they call that "preconditioning" the car.

Back