2017 FFE DC Charging issue

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amg65

Hi there. My Focus electric 2017 charges DC fine from ABB DC EVSE using CCS adaptor from CCS2 to CCS1.
However, trying to DC charge from EvBox DC chargers fails when using the CCS2 to CCS1 adapter as the EVSE requires the lock to be activated (unlike ABB DC EVSE).
As soon as the lock is engaged it quickly goes in and unlocks again causing the communication session with the EVSE to fail and as result i am not able to start a DC charging session. I thought there might be an issue with the EVSE but using the same adapter other cars such as E Golf and BMW i3 and other with CCS1 sockets charge normally. Only Focus doesn't complete the communication session. We tried 4 different FFEs and all resulted with the same issue even the 2018.
Any ideas what might be the problem?

Because all 4 vehicles have the problem,it makes me think that the issue is a protocol mismatch between the car and the dc charger. Or the adapter.

I believe your 4 vehicles were made for the US market. The DC protocols were probably only those applicable to the US. In Egypt, you probably have European-Middle Eastern protocols at your DC chargers.

Since ABB makes DC chargers for the US, they might have legacy US protocols still used anywhere there is an ABB DC charger, as they developed the protocols, and see no reason to bother to remove them.

EVBox, while having offices in Illnois, Los Angles, and San Francisco, I have never heard of them or seen their chargers publicly in the San Francisco Bay Area. They are headquartered in Amsterdam.This makes me think that their chargers are European - Middle Eastern centric. At least in those parts of the world. So there is no protocol to communicate with US cars.

Alternatively, the protocols might be extremely similar, but just a slight timing/voltage difference.

If you had the problem with only one of the cars, I would have suggested that you check a certain HV connector near the 12V battery. As that one has a reputation of being improperly connected.

I cannot remember, but maybe a few FFE were sold in England. If you could get the firmware for the onboard DC charger for those vehicles, and put it into your US vehicles, it might work. Or, you were to pull the DC charging equipment from those England vehicles to retrofit into your US vehicles.

It sucks that there is not a world wide charging standard, as you would think they would have one by now.
Reminiscent of the Beta/VHS wars.

Thanks Heima for your response. I also thought the same way. In Egypt yes all chargers are European specs type 2 and CCS2. We tried different adaptors on the FFE and same result. The same adaptors we tried on VW E Golf 2016 and 2019 with CCS1 it charged perfectly. Even BMW i3 with CCS1 charged but it only charges if you connect the adaptor to the car first.
All electric cars in Egypt are imported from US, the E Golf, the BMW i3 and the chevy spark.

So I know a lot of these cars went to Jordan (that's where mine went when I traded it in), and there is a Ford Focus Electric Club over there that I hear is pretty active. Wonder if they could perhaps steer you to a solution?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://business.facebook.com/FFEJO/&ved=2ahUKEwjJ4KWrpY_qAhWXCjQIHdluCjYQFjABegQIBhAC&usg=AOvVaw1RUJOSMiQK2MV8xjiyAItL&cshid=1592618293868

Keith

why use an adapter?
it is more convenient and cheaper to change the port, as I did
YEFoD74cu-hdskzj2SqfmAO9FaBPZUmYNLBsbsqmP_bc64t4UlmDdOmzlQeXMmkMYPoJ8S_b3T4bHcdFlp-BC2twrF4ZW9NSuh0M8isjZV2_EpTwc7RGXJIq3j9ogE5mzdja_PPoVGQbfDDWvXSFed3ntsfVvD61_nRcebCY5kmGC6lRGIqQJR3k0XJ6iVj_5bzm9190AcJJMZs5L0vTB3c3fhSk38gE40xZe9Sn7vyWNbLCEnyvZQDqQE77OT8hZ_fGCRnQuH5tvYfKoqmwhiiS9Br90ihSxsgTkTiO11HbXriBP25ka7c_FgWt4Xi9p9jl0drhL_VMl16Zy0gjeGGHJcR4H9Ck5B1a3d1BkK6cY1DMky6D-XbL4hEeD2FJTQdVbE3dfTVLeNSgMx5sTPXDp7zLkEZXkWNQ2yWuJXBwXm5_ZoslrlOza7dBMFOWsbFf1lA4X6ieVPxL2RqSNDlI3YwNaKE-sGtnYlSHJahY9xvozBoAJS4j85ZrBB7ky5csyq8HiHNq6azo-90UIkZlUIoHJ9Y-cMsBUNd_xEDUVxSNECrDDHOCiqClWgQ0b0kMlt2_fOpzZYlpz77z0Vr5SI2QKHgC1SgjGJOWmv9VyKnotNswC4kn12rJ6NwBLgCJJqiF_7i3-UilzcwNX05FYj1G8xw-N4dGdwfXgvcM4WYzHaDl5rSnjxbTGg=w738-h982-no

Hi Dobrinia,
Can you tell me exactly what have you changed?
the issue is not with the adapter i believe ther is an issue that happens from the evse during the handshaking.

Back