AC not reliable in warm weather

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mantis

Hello all. I've got a FFE 2017 that I generally have no problems with.

However, whenever the car is 'out in the heat' for a while, the air conditioner becomes really unreliable. For example, entering the car after its been sitting out in 26degC+ (80degF+) weather is a guarantee for the AC to be fully functional for maybe 5 minutes, before starting to blow hotter and hotter air.

At this point, I might as well turn on the heater; the air from the vents is that hot.
Sometimes, fully rebooting the car or letting it sit for a little while causes the AC to be functional again, for around the same amount of time.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this something to do with cooling of the batteries?

I thought about going to the dealership, but my confidence in them being able to diagnose properly is... slim. Also, whenever the weather is calmer, the AC works perfectly fine. Any cooler and it is freezing cold.

In hot weather, the cooling system prioritizes cooling the HV battery before cooling the cabin. So the air conditioning compressor is running, but it's not your turn to get cold yet. After the battery temp is at a manageable level, cold air is diverted to you. This is normal.

Surprising though. It's been in the 90's here for a bit. I'll usually remote start, however even if I don't I get frigid air immediately out of my AC. Love the AC in the FFE. I could store meat in the car in the middle of summer with no issue.

kalel14 said:
In hot weather, the cooling system prioritizes cooling the HV battery before cooling the cabin. So the air conditioning compressor is running, but it's not your turn to get cold yet. After the battery temp is at a manageable level, cold air is diverted to you. This is normal.

Thanks. Should I be leaving the cabin AC on, or will leaving it off have the same effect?

The car won't cool the cabin until the battery is happy, so you'll get warm air if you leave it on. But there's no indicator the battery is happy, so you'll never know when it's ready for you to turn the air conditioning on.

I just hit remote start and let it start cooling the batteries before I get to my car, but in the 100+ weather we have been having lately, its taken up to 22 minutes before I feel and cool air due to the heat here. Of course I just leave it plugged in to save my batteries energy while cooling. last five days has been 105 to 109 according to the cars temp gauge.

My 2018 with 16k miles works very well. It was parked on asphalt in 100 degree temps today. When I left the office, it took less than 10 seconds to start blowing colder, and no more than 1 minute to have very cold air. It maintained that as I drove 30 miles, including some long stop lights- and 80 MPH on the freeway.

I had a failure of one of the lines earlier this year. Ford warrantied it and maybe the dealer did a better job setting the high/low pressures? I don't know.

CAUTION: If you have your AC serviced at the dealer, ENSURE they order a bottle of the (compressor?) lubricant AND RECEIVE IT before they start. It took my dealer 6 days to get a bottle. Once they let the oil out of yours, you're SOL until they get the correct lube. The problem is it's not a stocked Ford part number. The dealer actually places an order with another company for it. Just, caution...

Hello all. I've got a FFE 2017 that I generally have no problems with.

However, whenever the car is 'out in the heat' for a while, the air conditioner becomes really unreliable. For example, entering the car after its been sitting out in 26degC+ (80degF+) weather is a guarantee for the AC to be fully functional for maybe 5 minutes, before starting to blow hotter and hotter air.

At this point, I might as well turn on the heater; the air from the vents is that hot.
Sometimes, fully rebooting the car or letting it sit for a little while causes the AC to be functional again, for around the same amount of time.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this something to do with cooling of the batteries?

I thought about going to the dealership, but my confidence in them being able to diagnose properly is... slim. Also, whenever the weather is calmer, the AC works perfectly fine. Any cooler and it is freezing cold.
hi, a newbie from Montreal:)
I had a similar problem with AC. In fact, that's irritating, when there's no escape from the heat and you have to stay in the car for a long time, long trips become unbearable, understand u, man :oops:

Sorry you all have had issues with your AC. Both my 2015 and 2017 FFE's could be used to store meat in the 100+ degree summer days.

I agree, my AC works more than wel enough to keep the car EXTREMELY cold, but every once in a while…cold air is diverted to cooling the battery.

Actually, I haven’t had the warm air blowing issues since I posted last. That fat must have been the perfect trifecta of environmental conditions for the FFE to divert AC from the cabin to the battery.

I've heard of this issue, but have not experienced it personally with my 2017 FFE. I'm in Houston, where the summers are generally very hot and humid. My wife did say she saw it happen once, but it did not last very long. My car is generally in the garage when at home, because that is where it charges. I think the issue may that on newer models, part of the HV pack is in the cabin, so when the interior gets very hot, the battery is heating up as well. I have a couple of suggestions that may help.

(1) we have the darkest allowable tint on the rear windows. This really helps keep the infrared light out of the interior. (2) Use a reflective window shade on the front window. (3) Crack the windows and let hot air out. This will help equalize the interior and exterior temps, instead of creating an oven inside the car. (4) The car can be precooled before departure. I suggest remoting starting the car, or using the preset departure start to give the car an opportunity to cool down before entering. (5) if the full vehicle range will not be utilized that day, the car can be idled with AC running for a long time without suffering a substantial range hit. Once the interior has been cooled, it takes less energy maintain that lower temperature. So if you're out shopping or running errands, you can leave the vehicle running and just lock the doors.

I hope this helps!

Back