Looking for advice

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azdave

My situation is this I am retired, located in Phoenix, have some control re the time of day I would have to use the car, charging at home is no problem either the voltage 120 or 240, a range of 60 miles in a day with the air conditioning on would work fine, I would be buying a used car and would expect to drive approx. 5000 miles a year. It is important that the air conditioning would cool the car down pretty quickly, if it takes 10 minutes that would exceed the travel time in most cases, I could cool the car down before leaving the house but the return trip would be the problem. The car would be parked in the open.
My concerns are what do out of warranty repairs cost, and will most of the Ford dealers service these cars. It seems like most of the cars I see for sale are at dealers which are nation wide and I assume they cannot repair any portion which is unique to the electric car regardless of the warranty they might offer. Finally what is your best guess re service 5 years from now, is a failure of a circuit board going to total the car?
Thank You for any information you can give me.

Every concern you have is valid for an FFE. On extremely hot Florida days, the AC system first prioritizes battery temperature management. Once that is met, I can get cold air. It takes two or three minutes. Once that is done the AC works as well as any conventional car. However, if you remote start the car at your destination for a few minutes before you leave, that problem would be solved.

Anecdotally, mechanic repair skills seem weak, even at the few certified EV dealerships. Perhaps that and parts availability will improve as Ford goes more electric. But at 5000 miles a year, it may take you a long time to break anything.

I use my FFE for all the daily driving, short trips around town, etc. and it has met all my needs.

Thank You for the information re the air conditioning. I have been reading the posting about SSN warnings and the problems people have had getting their cars repaired and it has scared me off. If Ford is either unwilling or unable to repair these cars I don't need to be part of that mess.

You overstate. :D
Ford re-reminds the electric vehicles without problems.
The dealer program has all the necessary procedures for repair and diagnostics, for example, SSN errors.
This error also appears on hybrid cars, but it does not frighten the owners. ;)

You can also use the app to start preconditioning the car before you leave. The key fob to remote start works from about 100yds away so that's another possibility if you park close enough to the building to remote start from inside before going out. Ford's support for this car is abysmal. basically once it is out of warranty it is a disposable car as it will cost far more to fix than to replace. A replacement battery is over $20K and that is just for the part. They generally will not repair any components but will replace whole assemblies. For example the motor, gear box, and VFD are all one non-serviceable component. There were very few of these cars made (I believe less than 10k) so finding junkyard parts will be impossible.

Back