An online Ford Focus Electric Forum discussion group

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:58 pm 

I have a 2017 FFE that used to show 117 miles at 100% charged. For the last month it only gets to 86 miles at 100%. Confused as to if this is a battery degradation issue or user error on my end?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:08 pm 

Neither: Its not called the GOM for a reason (GOM = Guess O Meter).

The mileage shown at full (or any other time for that matter) is based on your driving style and the roads you've taken. If you drive on the highway a lot and then drive "a tank" on surface streets going slow the next "tankful" will show much more miles then drive on the highway again and the next GOM value at full is lower.

You can watch this: Drive on the highway a lot and then find a long stretch of road thats 45 mph or less and drive that with the cruise...you'll watch the GOM value creep up instead of down.

Now other things also affect the GOM's value, like outside temperature, or HVAC setting (turn it on/and off with the heat set to high and watch the GOM value jump up or down at least 10 or 20 miles just by turning the heat on or off).

In addition: When its colder out the car is going to turn on a heater to heat the battery this reduces the driveable range simply because its using some electricity to heat the battery.

Your battery's real reading is the % value..not the range to empty as that is..... just a guess.

2014 Thor Axis (V-10)
2013 Focus Electric (lease returned Jan 2016 for the C-Max above)
https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:06 am 

Thank you for that. I am a 95% HWY driver/commuter with this car, averaging btw 65-80 MPH and do see the range creep up with I get into the City and/or move onto slower roads.