Center Console blaned out - Microsoft Application error

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carrieyhuang

My car is Ford Focus Electric 2014.
About one month ago, the Center Console suddenly turned off by itself while I was driving. It would come back within a few minutes with Sync sign. Before it fully loaded, it showed a Window error box and shutdown again and would reboot again within a few minutes. I even disconnected the 12V battery. It would not reset. So basically, I lost Center Console. A few days later, it came back without any issue. Drove good for several weeks. Today, it happened again. Center Console turned off and rebooted. I used my cell phone to capture the screen and error message. It reads, "Application: servicesd.exe encountered a serious error and must shut down." A Google search indicates this is a Microsoft Embedded CE operating system error. It can be fixed by installing the latest Microsoft update. But how to update on Ford Focus Electric?

P.S. I had a bad accident in November 2016 (18 months ago). The insurance company totaled my car. I repaired and drove 18 months already. So this error has nothing to do with my accident. But Ford has voided all warranty for my car due to the accident. Hence, I can't go to see a dealer without paying huge sum of $$$. Any help is greatly appreciated.

carrieyhuang said:
My car is Ford Focus Electric 2014.
About one month ago, the Center Console suddenly turned off by itself while I was driving. It would come back within a few minutes with Sync sign. Before it fully loaded, it showed a Window error box and shutdown again and would reboot again within a few minutes. I even disconnected the 12V battery. It would not reset. So basically, I lost Center Console. A few days later, it came back without any issue. Drove good for several weeks. Today, it happened again. Center Console turned off and rebooted. I used my cell phone to capture the screen and error message. It reads, "Application: servicesd.exe encountered a serious error and must shut down." A Google search indicates this is a Microsoft Embedded CE operating system error. It can be fixed by installing the latest Microsoft update. But how to update on Ford Focus Electric?

P.S. I had a bad accident in November 2016 (18 months ago). The insurance company totaled my car. I repaired and drove 18 months already. So this error has nothing to do with my accident. But Ford has voided all warranty for my car due to the accident. Hence, I can't go to see a dealer without paying huge sum of $$$. Any help is greatly appreciated.

What version of My Ford Touch are you running?

How do I find that out? I assume it's what came with 2014 Ford Focus, since I have never updated myself. Will the car update itself automatically? Will the problem come from automatic recent update of Windows CE?
When it reboots, it says, "Performing scheduled maintenance". Of course, I have never scheduled any maintenance. While it does that, music will come up. But before the progress bar completed, it will give the error message window and shutdown. Typically, it stops at 80%-90%.

There was a recall extending the warranty on the APIM (screen/computer) that Sync runs on. These are known to fail. Sorry but your only option is to replace it. If ford won't honor the warranty, You'll have to look for a junkyard part or pay out the nose to ford.

Does your car have a salvage or rebuilt title? I guess its blacklisted by the vin for any type of warranty work? The apim deal was sort of a recall to extend the warranty on it. Maybe try another dealer and see if they come up with it covered?

Yes, I have salvage title.
It's really unfair. My accident did not cause those known issues of Ford. But Ford choose to relieve its responsibilities nevertheless. No more new Ford for me after 34 years as a Ford owner with multiple Ford cars.

By the way, the Console came back yesterday by itself, similar to last time. Expect to loose it again in a month. Hope the issue does not come back more frequent. Also, looking for fuses for the Console. Thinking to pull some fuses to reset so I don't have to wait for 5 days for its own recovery.

carrieyhuang said:
Yes, I have salvage title.
It's really unfair. My accident did not cause those known issues of Ford. But Ford choose to relieve its responsibilities nevertheless. No more new Ford for me after 34 years as a Ford owner with multiple Ford cars.

By the way, the Console came back yesterday by itself, similar to last time. Expect to loose it again in a month. Hope the issue does not come back more frequent. Also, looking for fuses for the Console. Thinking to pull some fuses to reset so I don't have to wait for 5 days for its own recovery.

Not sure how this is Ford's fault. Your car was damaged so severely, that it was totaled and your insurance company paid you out. You chose to keep it and keep using it. You assumed ALL responsibility for ANYTHING happening to it at that point. It's the chance you take.

Yeah, I think all salvage title cars are exempt from any warranties. Its not just a ford thing.

scottt said:
Not sure how this is Ford's fault. Your car was damaged so severely, that it was totaled and your insurance company paid you out. You chose to keep it and keep using it. You assumed ALL responsibility for ANYTHING happening to it at that point. It's the chance you take.

What does my accident have anything to do with bad software?
Yes, in my book, Ford absolutely shall be responsible for bad software and any known issues that have nothing to do with accident.
In fact, my accident is not bad at all. However, in California, car repair cost is so high that insurance company decided to total the car. Since then, I have solved a couple Ford problems that have nothing to do with my accident and Ford refused to take responsibility for.
1. The infamous "Stop Safely Now" error. I read Ford actually replaced entire battery pack for some owner. My fix: Disconnect high voltage cables; Clean terminals really good; Reapply ample amount conducting grease. No more issues for 14 months and counting. What does it have anything to do with my accident? None whatsoever. Everything to do with Ford program/software is too sensitive to certain sensors' readings.
2. Audio would not come on after in car phone call. My fix: Turn off HD. No more issues for 12 months and counting. What does it have anything to do with my accident? None. It has everything to do with bad Ford software that sometimes it won't be able to switch on HD audio and the system stuck in between two states.
3. 12V lead acid battery is only good for 3yrs. When it dies, no matter how much energy left in your main battery, you won't be able to open door or start the car. Stupid design.

Your HARDWARE has failed. Your APIM is only good for a paperweight now. No amount of fiddling with software will fix your APIM. You can try to update to the latest Sync2 version via USB but I'd wager a large sum of money that you'd only be wasting your time.

triangles said:
Your HARDWARE has failed. Your APIM is only good for a paperweight now. No amount of fiddling with software will fix your APIM. You can try to update to the latest Sync2 version via USB but I'd wager a large sum of money that you'd only be wasting your time.
What make you so confident that my hardware has failed? I sure love to collect your "wager a large sum of money"! You're certainly clueless.

carrieyhuang said:
scottt said:

What does my accident have anything to do with bad software?
Yes, in my book, Ford absolutely shall be responsible for bad software and any known issues that have nothing to do with accident.
In fact, my accident is not bad at all. However, in California, car repair cost is so high that insurance company decided to total the car. Since then, I have solved a couple Ford problems that have nothing to do with my accident and Ford refused to take responsibility for.
1. The infamous "Stop Safely Now" error. I read Ford actually replaced entire battery pack for some owner. My fix: Disconnect high voltage cables; Clean terminals really good; Reapply ample amount conducting grease. No more issues for 14 months and counting. What does it have anything to do with my accident? None whatsoever. Everything to do with Ford program/software is too sensitive to certain sensors' readings.
2. Audio would not come on after in car phone call. My fix: Turn off HD. No more issues for 12 months and counting. What does it have anything to do with my accident? None. It has everything to do with bad Ford software that sometimes it won't be able to switch on HD audio and the system stuck in between two states.
3. 12V lead acid battery is only good for 3yrs. When it dies, no matter how much energy left in your main battery, you won't be able to open door or start the car. Stupid design.

Again, your car was damaged SO MUCH that your insurance company totaled it. Who knows what modules, components, etc were damaged. ALL bets are off. If something goes wrong, doesn't work, glitches, etc, then you have no recourse, and no one to blame.

There is no way I would EVER trust driving or riding in a salvage titled car. Who knows if the airbags will work if there is another accident, etc. You made the decision to continue to use it. There is nothing wrong with that for you personally, however Ford is 100% off the hook if anything stops working, and you chose to accept that.

Back