Twinstangs

Re: Real Range for 17 or 18 FFE

Sun May 20, 2018 6:11 pm

campfamily wrote:I don't own a 2017 or 2018 with the larger battery, but as a point of reference.....

I also live in SoCal. I have a 2015 Focus with the smaller battery. My commute is about 54 miles round trip. My house is at about 1100 feet elevation, where I leave my car is about 100 feet. My commute is about 2/3 freeway. I use the A/C whenever I need it. I don't use the heat very often (not usually needed, can use the seat heaters on those "cold" 45 deg mornings). I consistently arrive home with 15 to 20 miles range remaining. On rainy days (need to run the defroster, plus for some reason that I haven't figured out rainy days cause higher consumption, even if I don't have the heater turned on) I might only have 10 miles remaining. This on a battery with a new range of only 73 miles.

I think you'll do just fine.

Keith
In IC cars, when you turn on defrost it automaticaly runs the air conditioning, which dehumidifies the air. Probably the same in EVs.

triangles

Sun May 20, 2018 6:19 pm

Yep defrost runs both Heat and AC to dehumidify the air. Also should be used on recirculation and not pulling in outside air.
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)

spirilis

Mon May 21, 2018 6:21 am

triangles wrote:Yep defrost runs both Heat and AC to dehumidify the air. Also should be used on recirculation and not pulling in outside air.
I have always experienced defrost as pulling in outside air, and I don't believe it lets you enable recirc. Focus Electric and C-Max Energi IIRC.

Incidentally my wife stumbled across a workaround - don't hit defrost, instead hit floor vent and THEN defrost, with the two active the power consumption is a little less (think it's not aggressively trying to raise the heater coolant temp) and you can enable recirc - but after a timeout period, the recirc automatically shuts off. You can re-enable it but you have to be paying attention. (My wife uses recirc almost all the time because she hates smelling exhaust or odors outside the car...)
2017 Ford Focus Electric (Magnetic)
2017 Ford C-Max Energi SE (Kona Blue)

jdorff

Tue May 22, 2018 6:48 am

talbert99 wrote: 1. Driving in the rain consume 20% additional (I'm hoping that is not just windshield wipers)
Bjørn Nyland has discussed this on his You Tube channel. A wet road increases the rolling resistance of the tires.
There is a research paper (*) I found online with real data. A few quotes:
"At 80 km/h, 0.65-mm thick water film increases rolling resistance by over 50%,"
"The increase of rolling resistance is higher for higher speeds"
"Water film thickness has a considerable influence on rolling resistance increase"
"At low speeds (30 km/h), even very thin water film has considerable impact on rolling resistance."

* "Influence of Road Wetness on Tire-Pavement Rolling Resistance" Journal of Civil Engineering and Architecture 9 (2015)

kalel14

Thu May 24, 2018 3:17 am

* "Influence of Road Wetness on Tire-Pavement Rolling Resistance" Journal of Civil Engineering and Architecture 9 (2015)[/quote]

Well, if you want to resort to using science, go ahead. But this is the internet and we prefer unsubstantiated theories.

Return to “General / Main Focus Electric Owners Forum”