Not able to set up a value charge profile

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajolley

I've been trying to set up a value charge profile for my 2015 focus, but haven't been able to.
When I try to do it using the car touchscreen, as far as I can tell, it only will let me set up the default profile, which I have set to 9pm-4am. But when I plug my car in, it always charges, even when I have the value option selected.

I tried using the my ford website, and logged in, and tried to set a special profile so that when I'm at home it uses that profile, but it will never save. Also, I noticed that when i try to do anything with my ford app on my phone like remote start, locate, lock/unlock, it will never connect to my car.

A few years ago, I brought my car in to have the modem swapped out since they were phasing out whatever cell service they were using or something. It always worked seamlessly before, but then it worked for a while, but then stopped and I never really tried really hard. It's almost as if they didn't really swap out the modem... But now that this whole not being able to set a value charge is costing me money, it's become more of a priority.

So, my question is, how can i set my profile? Can I do it from the touch screen since the website/app don't seem to want to work.
Also, is there a way to reset that modem or something so that it will work???

I tried removing my car from myfordmobile and re-adding it (I read somewhere that this helped some people). The last step is to confirm on the touchscreen that you want it to be connected, but when I went to start my car, no such message appeared, and now I think I've messed this up even more... So, not sure what to do now.

It sounds like your modem stopped communicating. You probably need to reset your TCU (telematics control unit) that contains the modem. Occasionally they will freeze up and stop working. Coincidentally the value charging function is dependent on the TCU. I'm guessing that's where it stores the value charging profiles. Seems odd to me that the TCU is necessary for the Value Charge function but for whatever reason it is. You probably also are unable to set go times which are also dependent on the TCU. You can pull the fuse for the TCU or unhook the 12V battery for a few minutes to reset the TCU. In my '14 FFE it is the lowest fuse toward the front of the car on the fuse block in the rear hatch area. I forget what fuse number this is referred to as. My replacement TCU went bad 5 months after it was replaced by the recall and it was replaced without hassle still barely under the 3 yr warranty.

Thanks Triangles! I'll try to pull the fuse.
I talked to the support person and he said that my modem firmware was not updated and that was likely the problem. I'm tending towards thinking that's BS. I hope so because if not, then I have to bring it in for them to update the firmware (unless someone here knows how).
Is there a way to tell which fuse to pull? Is the whole world going to come crashing down if I pull the wrong one?

Hey Triangles,
One more thing. Can you be more clear as to which fuse box? Is it in the trunk? I found this diagram of the fuses online http://www.autogenius.info/ford-focus-electric-fuse-box-diagram-usa-version/
Do you know which one there???

Its the fuse block in the DS hatch area behind the tail light. Theres a little trap door in the interior panel that opens for access. Its the fuse all the way at the bottom. I believe its F1. Check your manual to be sure.

Ford-focus-mk3-fuse-box-luggage-usa.jpg

Yes it is the fuse block in the luggage area (rear end, I would say trunk but technically speaking we don't have one :D ) and is the F1 fuse. It's red (5A). Pliers makes the job easier plus you likely will have to pull the liner back a little to reach the fuse at the bottom.

Sounds like that line about firmware was bs. I'd imagine all the dealer would do is pull the fuse and probably charge you for the service. Don't worry if you pull the wrong fuse, nothing bad will happen like your FFE spontaneously combusting. Alternately pulling one of the 12V battery terminals off for several seconds will accomplish the same. I can't remember if it's a 10mm or 12mm bolt.

So, i tried taking out the fuse and putting it back. That didn't work. Then I disconnected the battery. That caused it to reboot when I turned the car on. But still it didn't work. Then I did a reset on the sync system. Again, it didn't work. But it did remove my default profile data (which it never used anyway).

Then it sounds like your TCU may have given up the ghost. I am by no means an expert on this car so it still could be something simple that the dealer could reset but everything I've seen pulling 12V battery is equivalent to rebooting and should reset any module that has crashed/stopped responding. If you're still under warranty you can take it in and they should fix it for free. Otherwise I'd guess it will cost you a few hundred dollars for a new TCU. How much is that functionality worth to you? Let us know what you find out.

Carbuff said:
kalel14 said:
I've never gotten this feature functional on my 2013.

Was the modem replaced as per the recall. Does your MFM app work at all with the car?

Yes, everything else works and is up to date. I don't need it, so I haven't made any effort to get it functional.

I *finally* got my car back from the dealer and after a week and a half of micromanaging, it seems to be working. They had to replace the TCU. Fortunately, it was still covered under warranty.

Back