Is replacing the 12v battery a DIY job?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDJones

The 12v battery in our 2013 FFE is dead, according to my multimeter. Not surprising since it looks to be original (we bought the car used in late 2015). I'm assuming that replacing it is similar to an ICE car and something I can do myself without difficulty, but you know what they say about assuming! :) So, is there anything special I need to know about the 12v battery in the FFE, or can I just swap in a new one without a trip to the dealer? Thanks in advance!

It is as easy as any other one I've changed over the years.
Have you ever changed a car battery before?

Respect the order you remove the terminals... Negative first.
Do not use long bare metal tools when work with a battery!
The plastic battery surround towards the front of the car needs to be removed to allow the battery to slide a bit forward to allow it to be lifted out at a slight angle.

I got my battery from Edmonds battery here in Langley BC.

Good luck.

Chris
2013 FFE
2017 FFE

Thanks for the reply. I've replaced the battery in plenty of ICE cars, but never in an electric (the FFE is our first). I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something I was missing which was unique to an EV. Anyway, it's done now and everything seems to be fine so far, so thanks!

Its an easy job but you may not be able to find a battery that fits outside of the dealer. There were a few threads on this topic and some found it hard to find the right battery from the usual aftermarket sources. Most ended up with the same crappy motorcraft battery. Others fudged it with a battery that was just a bit different sized.

FYI Optima D35 (yellow top) fits. I was going to try and see if a D34 might fit. The optima batteries are AGM and handle being completely discharged better. Supposedly last longer too. Not surprisingly they are expensive.

Back