An online Ford Focus Electric Forum discussion group

It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Car will not start
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:00 am 

It sounds like they're way ahead on yours...narrowed down to a single component! (maybe?)
My car can't be charged or driven at all, until they figure out why it's not "seeing" the HV battery.

My dealer did say Ford is sending out "some" field reps to look at it. I hope that means before end of the month.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:00 pm 

Carbuff wrote:
Got an update from the dealer. They have condemned the TCM...

Wow you get a new motor, gearbox, and inverter!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:23 am 

Yes the TCM is that whole hunk of metal bolted together in the position that would be the engine in an ICE vehicle. It consists of the motor, gear box, inverter, and high voltage junction box. That box on top with the orange wires is the high voltage junction box. You've got the battery coming in on the driver's side and on the passenger side the HV going out to the DC-DC, heater, and AC compressor. I will throw out an uneducated guess that maybe there is a problem with the inverter. Since the inverter is a part of the TCM assembly they just replace the whole assembly as it would be impractical (cost prohibitive) to train the dealership mechanics on how to disassemble a TCM and repair an inverter.

Think of it as like an automatic transmission in an ICE car. A dealer will not disassemble a transmission to fix it. They will replace it with a new one. This is probably because modern automatic transmissions are extremely complicated and it would be impractical to keep someone with the necessary specialized training at each dealer to work on bad transmissions.

Except for the part about the whole assembly being the TCM take the rest with a grain of salt as it's just wild speculation on my part.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:13 pm 

I haven't called corporate yet. What number did you call? And what magic words do I need to say to get connected to Darren? Sounds like he's definitely the guy to talk to.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 200 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 20  Next