campfamily

Re: Car will not start

Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:41 am

Carbuff wrote:
campfamily wrote:
triangles wrote:do any states have lemon laws that past the first 12-18 months?
I was part of a lemon law case a few years ago. What my attorney told me was that showing the vehicle was out of service for a certain period of time within the first 18 months would automatically qualify it for lemon status, and that anything beyond that it was up to the judge to determine, assuming it went to trial. Still being under factory warranty would, I think, help bolster that argument, that the manufacturer should be able to fix the vehicle and return it to full functionality.

I would think that Ford, faced with a formal request from an attorney asking for a buyout, would cut their losses and move on. Certainly would be worth a call to somebody who knows better.

BTW, I live in California. And, I still getting letters from lemon law attorneys who somehow know I owned the vehicle that I lemoned asking me if I'm having troubles with it, and if so, to contact them for possible legal action. And, the vehicle was built in 2004.

Keith
Since my car was used I only had a 90 day lemon law timeframe for the issue to have started. (NY) Unfortunately, I missed that date by about 28 days. Thats why ford denied my buyback. Even though the car was at the dealer for major repairs to the front end within a month of buying it, that does not qualify because it was not this particular issue that is currently the problem. If my car was a normal car, Im sure the dealer would have offered up a replacement vehicle. But since it is a 2013 and an ffe there just are no suitable replacements to be had in my region. I would not accept an ice vehicle, if offered, either as I only bought this car for the EV benefits, not because I needed to be making payments on an ice used vehicle. But yes, I agree that via Magnuson Moss or something of that nature, a lemon law attorney would probably be able to get a settlement. My fear would be that since it was not a cut and dry lemon law case, they might not make ford pay the attorney fees and it might cut into my settlement. I am getting closer to doing this though, as its just getting out of hand. Today the dealer told me that ford is replacing the harness again as the connector on the one put on the car 5 months ago is obsolete and has caused issues in other cars. ????? I feel that even an obsolete part would solve the problem even though it might fail years down the road. It failed the day after it was installed so I dont see this as being a fix. Its just ford dragging its feet, clutching at straws. Trying anything to avoid replacing the battery. I mean, why would the battery be the problem if the error was for the Hybrid battery isolation circuit fault? Ford is dumb.
I would think that by now, Ford would have been ahead of the game if they had either offered to just give you all of your money back, letting you decide what to buy to replace the car (maybe another FFE, maybe not), or replacing it with a vehicle with similar miles, even if it wasn't a 2013. Then, they could have taken your car and turned it into a lab rat, hopefully to help somebody in the future.

Keith
GONE - 2015 FFE, Magnetic with leather interior, debadged & tinted
38,500 miles (since May 2015), average 246 Wh/mile

REPLACED WITH - 2018 Tesla Model3, LR RWD, Obsidian Black
11,000 miles (since Nov 2018), average 235 Wh/mile

triangles

Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:47 am

So out of curiosity I scrolled back to the beginning. You first took it to the dealer Jan 13th 2018... :shock: Over 6 months and counting... At least you got to drive it for a few months before it became Ford's science experiment.
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)

triangles

Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:37 am

Well if anything goes wrong within in 6 mo or so after the warranty expires I'd think you'd have a pretty water tight case to make them fix it for free. I wonder what NY's lemon laws are on used cars. That might be worth exploring too.
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)

triangles

Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:50 am

As much as I hate lawyers it might be worth consulting one about possibly suing Ford for breach of warranty under the federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
https://www.carlemon.com/magnuson-moss- ... n-law.html
2014 Blue Candy FFE

campfamily

Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:51 am

Carbuff wrote:
triangles wrote:As much as I hate lawyers it might be worth consulting one about possibly suing Ford for breach of warranty under the federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
https://www.carlemon.com/magnuson-moss- ... n-law.html
Yes, if the Ford CS girl had a nickel for every time I quoted Magnuson-Moss, she wouldnt need that job anymore. LOL. It very clearly states that something with a full warranty must be fixed in a timely manner or refunded or replaced. Its quite simple. But since Im not a lawyer, they dont seem to care.
This is exactly why you should have a lawyer. I'm telling you, the first demand letter that they (Ford) get from a lawyer quoting legal statutes and legal precedence and possible damages (here in California, damages can be up to 3 times the original cost of the car), and they'll reconsider their position. So long as you have realistic expectations for the outcome (refund of your purchase price minus a reasonable cost for mileage since the purchase), you should come out good. Just make sure you don't pay any lawyers fees up front. And trust me, if the lawyer doesn't think they have an extremely high probability of prevailing, they won't take your case.

It's worth a call just to find out where you stand from a real professional, rather than an Internet pundit!!
GONE - 2015 FFE, Magnetic with leather interior, debadged & tinted
38,500 miles (since May 2015), average 246 Wh/mile

REPLACED WITH - 2018 Tesla Model3, LR RWD, Obsidian Black
11,000 miles (since Nov 2018), average 235 Wh/mile

Return to “General / Main Focus Electric Owners Forum”