Car will not start

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

So, now the car is stuck at my sister in laws house. It wont start. My wife drove it there fine, plugged in the L1 charger and when she went to leave 6 hours later, it wouldnt start. It goes through the motions but instead of getting the ready to drive green light, she gets a message to see the manual and a red ssn triangle. She can clear the messages but still has the ssn and a wrench in the dash. The 12v battery seems fine, everything works, headlights, radio, etc. It is fairly new also. We've tried many things. I even talked her through removing the negative batty cable for a minute over the phone. It didnt work. Opened and closed the doors a million times, tried all sorts of different starting procedures to no avail. It wont remote start either. Via the key or the app. App returns a message saying unable to remote start. The car appears to remote start, as in the lights go on and all but no dice. The app says all systems are fine. It will unlock the shifter and all too but no power or steering either. Looks like its headed to the dealer on tuesday unless someone has a magical idea. My brother in law from florida who was a ford mechanic for 25 years arrived late last night. I know hes gonna tell me what a pos the ffe is. I cant wait. LOL. Oh and earlier in the morning yesterday the car went off the grid modem wise, which was weird. When they did the battery cable thing it started updating again. I guess it reset the modem. Related? Coincidence?

I got it started. I actually got to see the car today. I brought my bluetooth obd tool and my phone with forscan lite. I checked for dtcs and there were a bunch. There was the one for my tpms sensor that they didnt erase, and a bunch related to removing the negative battery cable. Then there was one in the pcm section that said it was active at the time of the scan. It was a fault in the hybrid battery contactor circuit, or something like that. I reset all the codes and it started right up. Prior to not starting it was plugged in via an extension cord. It rained quite heavily while they were in the house for a bunch of hours. I think it got all wet where the evse plugged into the cord and may have caused a fault. Would something like that cause the car to go into fail safe mode in order to protect it against harm?

Carbuff - nothing worse than the day before Christmas eve to have a problem like that. What a pain.

I'm guessing. It sounds more like the 12V battery was low. Even though the lights come on, the radio plays, and all that good stuff - those things will work even if the battery is on the low side. It isn't like the old days with those power hungry tungsten incandescent headlights that took amps of power. All that stuff uses a lot less amperage now.

The key would have been the relays clicking. If when she tried to start the car, if there was either no click or lots of clicking - that would be the main relay not closing. That relay is in the under hood fuse box. I had a low 12V battery that did all the things you described - seemed like the car should run. But in fact there wasn't enough power to pull the main relay closed and it would just click like crazy.

Others have said it before - one of those lithium ion jumper batteries and a USB adapter for the 12V power outlet with a Voltage readout will get you out of a lot of trouble.

The car probably started on its own because the 12V battery got up to a critical voltage that worked. The rain and the extension cord had nothing to do with charging. The rain did have something to do with the 12V battery getting low - windshield wipers, maybe defroster and heater just hit it a little extra hard.

(If you're still on your original 12V battery and this is the 2013 in your signature, probably time to replace the battery).

I'm just guessing though.

I can see your point. Is amazing how most problems like this seem to be the fault of the 12v battery. And yes when I tried to start it prior to using forscan to clear the codes it did not make the clicking and humm sound that it usually does. But it seems strange that ten minutes later, after clearing the codes, it started up as normal. I believe the 12v battery was replaced by the dealer some time between the previous owners turning it in and me buying it. Its fairly new. I have some discovercard rewards, maybe I will look into the lithium battery jumper thing.

The 12V adapter might not be familiar. This is just an example, I did a quick search for them. I have some other brand that I couldn't find.

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Display-Voltage-Current-Samsung/dp/B01M9IKYVH/

The "hybrid battery contactor circuit" error means there is something wrong with the HVB contactors. This is basically the relay(s) that disconnects the HVB when the car is off. You probably shouldn't have cleared that error and let ford fix it under warranty. I am guessing that once that fault is recorded the computer won't let the contactor be energized again to prevent the risk of further damage/fire. I have no knowledge of how this system is on the FFE but I have worked with 480V industrial contactors and they are not something to be trivialized. I had one go poof on me when I was troubleshooting. Luckily other than the dead contactor nothing was damaged except maybe my underwear. A dirty or arc damaged contactor can cause excess heat leading to things melting and a potential fire. The contacts can also end up welding together so they can't turn off (I would hope ford has some redundancy built in here). I hope you are lucky and it was just a glitch. If there really is an issue with your HVB contactors that error will come up again. When it does I'd let ford tow it in and replace whatever is faulty.

Im hoping it was just some glitch possibly caused by a fault in the charging process while it was raining. Hopefully it will not happen again, but if it does it will go back to the dealer for sure.

Thought I was reading the C-Max energi forum for a sec but the forum color scheme wasn't quite right...

Yeah frozen fuel line probably isn't it ;-)

So, the car is dead again in my driveway. I drove it home from work, plugged it in, 2 minutes later I get a text saying the scheduled charge has not started. The charger is blinking as if its charging. I get in to try to start it and I get the ssn red triangle, no dice. Exactly the same as before christmas. Same dtc for the hvb contactor circuit present. Hopefully its getting towed to the dealer tomorrow morning. via roadside assistance. Lets all cross our fingers and say a prayer for a new battery.

Car was towed to dealership this morning via ford roadside assistance. They have it for the next week as I'll be away so hopefully they can sort it all out. The guy will email me with progress and updates. Will keep you posted.

Just got back from vacation. Supposedly they are ordering a new hybrid battery harness or something like that for it. That was the only update I got. I will have to call them monday to see whats up and arrange a loaner if needed.

Hopefully the new wire harness fixes it. I sorta hope its the battery but I only say sorta because if it is, it will likely be shorts weather before you get your FFE back. But the extra range would be worth the wait at least for me :)

triangles said:
Hopefully the new wire harness fixes it. I sorta hope its the battery but I only say sorta because if it is, it will likely be shorts weather before you get your FFE back. But the extra range would be worth the wait at least for me :)

I know. I have the same mixed feelings. Hopefully if it turned out to be the battery I would get a loaner or rental for the duration.

I wouldn't count on a free loaner. Ford will only pay for one where it is specifically called out in a recall (ie the door latch recall). The only other option is if the dealer is willing to absorb the cost. I'd say that's not likely unless you have a very strong relationship with the dealer.

So, they got the harness today and started the installation process. They said hopefully it will be done tomorrow. They said it was a bit involved. I think its the first one theyve done. This is all done from under the car, right? They dont have to tear apart my interior, do they? I thought that was only if they had to remove the upper battery. Under my ford certified warranty, they will pay for a rental for warranty repairs, up to 30 bucks a day. But if its done tomorrow, I wont need it. Also, Im friends with them so if they had a loaner to give, they would. I think they only have 3 and theyre out all the time.

I'm not terribly familiar with the wiring harness but I believe it goes from the driver's side rear wheel well over the lower battery pack and charger then up the the HV junction box on top of the TCM. So they may have to drop the lower battery pack and/or charger which yeah I'd think would be pretty involved.

Back