I still have the FFE

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jloucks

I have not posted in a while but I still have the FFE. Made it to 61,000 before it had it's first significant issue (in the shop for more than 2 days). It has been in the shop a week and now they think it is the transmission. We'll see. I hope its the big battery are we get the new 33kwh battery. :p

I must say that the experience has been good overall. The gas cost savings has been about $160 a month. Over 4+ years that adds up. Some range anxiety issues, but never ran out of juice on the road.

Carbuff said:
What was the problem that made you bring it in? What was it doing?

Well, it is still in the shop. So far they have replaced a few of the computers on the car. Now they are replacing the motor.

They are not sure that will do the trick. If that doesn't work, they will move on to the next part. They are a bit mystified.

Here's hoping the battery gets replaced/upgraded/ :D

jloucks said:
Carbuff said:

Well, it is still in the shop. So far they have replaced a few of the computers on the car. Now they are replacing the motor.

They are not sure that will do the trick. If that doesn't work, they will move on to the next part. They are a bit mystified.

Can you explain what symptoms you are experiencing that caused you to take it to the dealer?

campfamily said:
jloucks said:
Carbuff said:

Can you explain what symptoms you are experiencing that caused you to take it to the dealer?

SSN message as it rolled into the driveway. Tried restarting later, did not work. There were unfortunately no real symptoms before the SSN. Everything seemed to be fine.

Odd that it died the second it stopped at the house. Seems statistically significant.

jloucks said:
SSN message as it rolled into the driveway. Tried restarting later, did not work. There were unfortunately no real symptoms before the SSN. Everything seemed to be fine.

Odd that it died the second it stopped at the house. Seems statistically significant.

I've gotten the SSN down the street (1/4 mile), but was able to drive/coast into the driveway before it shut down.

I have had three SSN notices since I got the car in July 15.
Actually, let me correct that: I have had two and my wife has had one.
Started up right away after turning it off. My wife really hates the car now. She called me, stranded at a roundabout with the car showing SSN. I told her she needed to turn it off, open the door and get out to make it reboot. That worked, but she is still sore about the howls and honks of protest from the drivers behind her while she did it.

Run2forever said:
I have had three SSN notices since I got the car in July 15.
Actually, let me correct that: I have had two and my wife has had one.
Started up right away after turning it off. My wife really hates the car now. She called me, stranded at a roundabout with the car showing SSN. I told her she needed to turn it off, open the door and get out to make it reboot. That worked, but she is still sore about the howls and honks of protest from the drivers behind her while she did it.

Yeah, my wife was just warming up to the car too when she got stuck. She even made up a name for it, Zippy. LOL.She has not driven Zippy since then. Ive gotten stuck twice since then and its been at the dealer for nearly 2 weeks now, with no solution in sight. The techs are stumped and now are awaiting a call from the ford expert to give them some fresh insights into the problem or perhaps to come down and look at the car himself. Looks like a long haul. Maybe Ill end up with a new battery. :D

Update for y'all following this thread.

Car still in the shop. They replaced the motor. Car still dead. Now we are waiting on a FFE expert to be flown in an take a look. That has 'long wait' written all over it :p . Ford gave us a nice loaner car, so I am pretty chill about the whole thing. Still everything covered under warranty.

I am still holding out hope all of this will involve a new longer range battery. :D I think I'd rather have that than a buyback. That car with a 130mile battery would be SWEEEET! ...but I am not spending $15,000 for an upgrade (market rate if I am not mistaken).

Will keep posted.

The market rate is likely BS anyway, it's just marked up to discourage DIY'ers from swapping batteries on older cars vs. buying a new one...

FYI the range on the 33.5kWh battery is 115 miles not 130. Still it would be awesome. Hopefully by the time mine is approaching 8 years old I can get a 200mi battery for the FFE but I'm not holding my breath.

Update: Car still in the shop. Weeks have turned into months. Ford is having a tough time figuring out the problem. They have replace the motor. No fix. They also did something with the 'transmission' (or the electric equivalent). Now they are rebuilding the battery. Unfortunately 'rebuilding' does not sound at all like 'replacing' so my hopes of the longer range battery are dashed. Ford is making good on the long term powertrain warranty. Zero out of pocket expenses and free rental car(s).

jloucks said:
Update: Car still in the shop. Weeks have turned into months. Ford is having a tough time figuring out the problem. They have replace the motor. No fix. They also did something with the 'transmission' (or the electric equivalent). Now they are rebuilding the battery. Unfortunately 'rebuilding' does not sound at all like 'replacing' so my hopes of the longer range battery are dashed. Ford is making good on the long term powertrain warranty. Zero out of pocket expenses and free rental car(s).

I feel your pain. 2 months for me with no end in sight. :cry:

jloucks said:
That's a sad story. Although the good side of things, Ford stood by the warranty. What a pain if you had to pay for all that work. Here's hoping you get the battery - I don't think they rebuild the batteries, or that they can even do that. Cheaper to just put a new one in.

By the way - which loaner car did you get? Something with a big battery I hope, not just gasoline (that would be painful after 4 years of electric driving).

EVA said:
jloucks said:
That's a sad story. Although the good side of things, Ford stood by the warranty. What a pain if you had to pay for all that work. Here's hoping you get the battery - I don't think they rebuild the batteries, or that they can even do that. Cheaper to just put a new one in.

By the way - which loaner car did you get? Something with a big battery I hope, not just gasoline (that would be painful after 4 years of electric driving).

We have had 2. We had an Escape and a base Focus. The latter pretty no bueno after being spoiled with loaded cars over the years. Ford wants to swap tloaners out every 30 days.

Here hoping you're right on the rebuild vs replace! :lol:

Ew yuck an Escape... oh that would make me upset. The Focus isn't so bad - at least it is familiar territory, even though it is a base model.

EVA what's the big deal? There insn't much difference between an Escape and Focus. The Escape is basically the same just a little taller and heavier.

Exactly: They are the same platform and thus handle very similarly (Escape v Focus) (C-Max is also a "stretched" Focus).

The new EcoSport is a "stretched" Fiesta!

Ive got a 2018 escape for a loaner and its a pretty decent vehicle. Not that far off from a ffe. Interior is similar. Its pretty much loaded. But you have to put this stuff called gas in it. How annoying.

Back