Guess-o-meter strangeness

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

So, I have seen how the gom dips 15 miles or so when I use the heat and returns to normal when I shut it off. I usually use heat for short bursts for defogging windows, etc. Usually it reads anywhere from 65-70 when fully charged due to my usual driving habits. When I lend the car to my daughter to drive her 30 mile, each way, trip to work and back, it will be at 80+ when fully charged the next day. Her trip is mostly 45 mph all the way with light traffic. Yesterday was a terrible rainy day in the 50s. My wife and I drove all over running errands, going to lots of stores. We had the heat on most of the time, lights, wipers, heated seats, etc. We probably put 40 miles on the car and the gom said 18 when I shut it down for the day. I was ok with that considering the liberal usage of the heat and poor driving habits. So, this morning with the car fully charged at 100% it says 46 miles. Is this because the car now assumes that I will be driving like I did yesterday? Will this go back to normal once I start driving my usual way? Is it possible that the gom will actually start adding miles once I start driving around normally? I will post back with my results but am interested in others experience with the gom "over-reacting"

Carbuff said:
So, I have seen how the gom dips 15 miles or so when I use the heat and returns to normal when I shut it off. I usually use heat for short bursts for defogging windows, etc. Usually it reads anywhere from 65-70 when fully charged due to my usual driving habits. When I lend the car to my daughter to drive her 30 mile, each way, trip to work and back, it will be at 80+ when fully charged the next day. Her trip is mostly 45 mph all the way with light traffic. Yesterday was a terrible rainy day in the 50s. My wife and I drove all over running errands, going to lots of stores. We had the heat on most of the time, lights, wipers, heated seats, etc. We probably put 40 miles on the car and the gom said 18 when I shut it down for the day. I was ok with that considering the liberal usage of the heat and poor driving habits. So, this morning with the car fully charged at 100% it says 46 miles. Is this because the car now assumes that I will be driving like I did yesterday? Will this go back to normal once I start driving my usual way? Is it possible that the gom will actually start adding miles once I start driving around normally? I will post back with my results but am interested in others experience with the gom "over-reacting"
Yeah, that's basically it. I'm not sure how "far back" the GOM's algorithm goes to figure out what the average Wh/mile is but it basically takes your last X number of minutes (where "X" is unknown) of driving and considers the non-HVAC power consumption vs. the HVAC power consumption and comes up with some estimate. It will morph as your driving changes.

spirilis said:
Carbuff said:
Yeah, that's basically it. I'm not sure how "far back" the GOM's algorithm goes to figure out what the average Wh/mile is but it basically takes your last X number of minutes (where "X" is unknown) of driving and considers the non-HVAC power consumption vs. the HVAC power consumption and comes up with some estimate. It will morph as your driving changes.

Yeah, so I get in the car to drive away today and notice that the heater was left on. I turn it off and boom, its back up to 65. I guess if you leave the heater on upon shutdown it figures the mileage with heater on. This winter should be a learning experience.

Yup it isn't called the guess-o-meter for nothing! LOL

Just drive it at 25 mph for an hour or so and watch the miles go up (if you go long enough you can get it to read 200+ miles).

You basically just drive the car, and figure out how you drive it, and what your efficiency is. Figure out how many watts per mile you average, and then do the math. That will be your typical range.
I know that I generally get 80 miles per charge, so I assume I will get that or less, and pay little attention to the GOM.

Wow so your daughter is an expert at driving the car perfectly. That's amazing, you need to be a proud parent. Ride along with her to figure out what she is doing right.

As others answered - yes that's exactly how the GOM works. It is very sensitive to changes in driving / energy use.

EVA said:
Wow so your daughter is an expert at driving the car perfectly. That's amazing, you need to be a proud parent. Ride along with her to figure out what she is doing right.

As others answered - yes that's exactly how the GOM works. It is very sensitive to changes in driving / energy use.

I dont know how she does it. She borrowed my jeep for a week or so, a few months ago. I had it at 12.5 mpg. She returns it and its reading 15.2. I dont get it. Ive driven with her and shes got a lead foot as far as I can tell. I must just do everything wrong. LOL.

EVA said:
Think about it, typical range of the FFE (23 kWh) battery is only about 75 miles (under ideal normal use).

That's like driving a gas car that only carries about 3 gallons of gas, perhaps even less.

Can you imagine how attuned you would become to how quickly (or slowly) you burned through those meager gallons? You'd probably love to have a very sensitive "MPG-o-meter" letting you know how you were doing at any given moment.

That's exactly what the GOM is for the FFE.

WattsUp said:
EVA said:
Think about it, typical range of the FFE (23 kWh) battery is only about 75 miles (under ideal normal use).

That's like driving a gas car that only carries about 3 gallons of gas, perhaps even less.

Can you imagine how attuned you would become to how quickly (or slowly) you burned through those meager gallons? You'd probably love to have a very sensitive "MPG-o-meter" letting you know how you were doing at any given moment.

That's exactly what the GOM is for the FFE.

I see what you mean. Better to have a meter that tells it like it is (or may be) then to get stuck.

Carbuff, also remember the car's battery heaters kick in when the battery gets below 50F. I'm not sure if being near the ocean keeps you a little warmer or not but here in northern Ohio winter worst case range with the 23kWh battery is about 40 miles. If you tried cranking the heat I'd imagine it could get as low as 35 miles especially with lots of stop and go traffic. 48mi is the worst I've personally experienced but I use the heat sparingly.

triangles said:
Carbuff, also remember the car's battery heaters kick in when the battery gets below 50F. I'm not sure if being near the ocean keeps you a little warmer or not but here in northern Ohio winter worst case range with the 23kWh battery is about 40 miles. If you tried cranking the heat I'd imagine it could get as low as 35 miles especially with lots of stop and go traffic. 48mi is the worst I've personally experienced but I use the heat sparingly.
Yeah it really depends on how long you're sitting stopped at a light with the heat blasting. Doing that just burns up the battery (hence the battery run down test using the heater).

Is the “status” on the dashboard next to the GOM related to the GOM?

I would guess it is (no pun intended), but not sure. The GOM is telling me that I have over 80 miles, but the status will say -4. I am driving VERY conservatively, you could even say gingerly. 100% around town. Never on the highway. Very occasionally up to 45mph but usually <25mph. I am that guy in front of you that takes off like a snail on heroin from a light.

Anybody have a clue as to why I would be getting these disheartening statuses?

I’ve had a SSN issue recently and just got it back from the dealership this morning. Of course they could not duplicate and nothing is fixed. I just posted the before and after dealership experience over in the technical board here.

Please help!!!

The status is totally dependent on GOM. It just shows the difference between GOM milage between start of your trip and current GOM milage + km driven. So basically it's an indicator of how good GOM was at predicting your milage.

About the "Status" read the blog post I posted.

In short: When you start the car it records the GOM range right then and as you drive it shows the status indicator as the difference between the "fixed GOM" value and the current GOM value where the "fixed GOM" value decreases mile per mile driven and the current GOM value is what is displayed.

Back