sync version update

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

My current sync version in my 2013 is 3.5.1 or 12285. Im hoping to have the dealer upgade it to version 3.10 if possible. I had read that a certain upgrade from an earlier version required the apim to be replaced. Is 3.5.1 current enough that it wont need the apim replaced? Or is 3.5.1 too old. The thread I was reading referenced 3.1 as the old version that required the new apim.

You don't need the APIM replaced unless you or the dealer bricks it during the upgrade process. If you have the dealer do it, you're covered if it gets bricked. ;)

I had a REALLY old version of Sync that required a dealer upgrade. I went from 3.1.3 to 3.10 and they did not replace my APIM. They did charge me for it. It was something like $60 for the upgrade. Other dealers in town do the job for about $130. So I lucked out.

My upgrade was a 4 months long nightmare. The dealer was woefully unprepared. But I stuck with it and got it done.

Here's the thread, if you're interested in the gory details: http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3735

As you have a much newer version than I had, your upgrade should go much more smoothly than mine did.

Good luck!

Carbuff said:
My current sync version in my 2013 is 3.5.1 or 12285. Im hoping to have the dealer upgade it to version 3.10 if possible. I had read that a certain upgrade from an earlier version required the apim to be replaced. Is 3.5.1 current enough that it wont need the apim replaced? Or is 3.5.1 too old. The thread I was reading referenced 3.1 as the old version that required the new apim.

Have you tried upgrading yourself with a flash drive?
I have 3.8 on dropbox if you want to try it.

Pearl said:
Carbuff said:

That would be great. Ive had the car at the dealer 3 times for other things, and the sync update, and each time they forgot or didnt have time for the sync. A link to the 3.8 would be great. Thanks.

Carbuff said:

get this last update sync2 3.10
https://fordcom.de/download/sync2-v3-10-build-16180-update-eu/

TareqAwad said:
Carbuff said:

get this last update sync2 3.10
https://fordcom.de/download/sync2-v3-10-build-16180-update-eu/

Will this work for vehicles in the US?

Carbuff said:
Pearl said:
Carbuff said:

That would be great. Ive had the car at the dealer 3 times for other things, and the sync update, and each time they forgot or didnt have time for the sync. A link to the 3.8 would be great. Thanks.

Sent you a PM

Newest 3.8 USB install can be had from here: http://ivsu.binaries.ford.com/swparts/Gen2v38build15128updatepackageNARev2.zip

- Download the file above
- Format a 2gb or larger USB drive with FAT32 file format.
- Extract downloaded zip to your USB drive. In the root directory of your USB drive you should have the install script and a subfolder that contains all the installation files.
- Verify you have an A3 to A7 nav SD card or you will lose NAV functionality.
- Plug USB drive in the FFE
- Start the car and the install should begin. Note: car must stay on until the installation is complete. I've read this can take up to 30 minutes.

I am going to try this and I'll update whether or not I am successful. There is also an unofficial 3.10 update out there. It appears that someone got a hold of the 3.10 install files and put them into the 3.8 install package. Reports on other forums say that things are missing and this is incomplete so you may want to stick with 3.10 from the Ford dealer or just use the official 3.8 DIY.

So, I used the file supplied by tareq. It updated fine and all seems well. The only thing I notice is that the sync voice has an english accent now. My son upgraded his sync 3 a while back and said the voice changed for him too. I will check with him to see what his sounds like. I uploaded the .xml file to ford and the fordowner website now says that Ive got the latest 3.10 sync2. So I can verify that that file works. I would have loved to have tried the other file too but it probably wont let me. Maybe Im stuck with the brit accent. LOL. Funny though, it said that I completed the 3.8 update on the car screen. But I checked the numbers and its 3.10. Ford also says its 3.10. We will see. Is this file the same for a 14 fusion? Or are the files car specific. Can you downgrade? Like from 3.10 to 3.8?

triangles said:
Carbuff supposedly you can downgrade but I think you have to edit some files to trick it into thinking the downgrade is an upgrade. There are instructions here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/wi...d-touch-navigation-activation-t3368080/page97

OK, so normally, with stock files, you cant downgrade? You need to do some trickery to do that? I noticed that my problem with the keyboard for the wifi password being greyed out is all fixed. Also I noticed that in the backup cam there are now some white boxes between the turn lines. Just that Brit girls voice. LOL. I like it when she says "Van Halen". Funny.

Ok, so I have found problems with the EU version of 3.10. Do not use it on your North american car. It creates incompatibility problems with your nav maps. Voice commands will not work for nav. There are probably other bugs that I did not discover. I have since downgraded to the north american 3.8 file and all is working fine and I got my normal sync voice back. Downgrading was pretty easy. I just had to add a line to the one file to trick into working with 3.10. I guess I can wait for the dealer to get around to doing the upgrade to 3.10 or if I can find the file online somewhere I'll do it myself. Im happy just to get out of 3.5. It was slow and buggy.

There are several unofficial version 3.10 floating around, some with missing components or very buggy. I upgraded to this 3.10 version I found on the 2Gfusion forum courtesy of Benk016 on the 2Gfusion.net forum: http://www.2gfusions.net/showthread.php?tid=5658&pid=118714#pid118714 The direct link to his google drive is: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzI_VmiH6K4wUGdNWU9ub04zSTA
It appears to be complete I went thru everything I could think of and didn't find anything not working or odd except this vehicle health report warning. I guess I'll find out in 200 miles if the VHR works or not.

The voice does not have a British accent like some 3.10 versions do. And I didn't try anything with voice NAV yet. I would almost never use this so it didn't occur to me to try it. I just turned on the GPS and verified it showed me where I was at.

Starting with 3.7 from the factory, I upgraded to the official 3.8 Rev2 before installing the unofficial 3.10. I don't know how the install process works, ie does it wipe everything clean and then install what's on the USB or does it install over what's already there. I figured on the off chance if it was the latter I would have at least any parts from 3.8 that were not included in the unofficial 3.10 install. In other words I'm guessing the 3.8 install was a waste of time and completely unnecessary.

It does interact much better with my crappy iphone 6s (no offense to anyone who actually likes apple products). Unfortunately there is no text notification and to use siri I have to have the phone screen unlocked so using siri thru the car to send a text is pretty useless. Really the only other thing I noticed is it seems to handle the album art and song information from the MP3's on my USB drive better. with 3.7 I had a few songs that didn't display properly and it was somewhat of a crapshoot whether or not the album art would be displayed. Maybe there's something I'm missing but between 3.7 and 3.10 it just seems to be bug fixes and better BT phone support.

Edit: 1/19/18 I'm not sure when but it did randomly start notifying me about text messages. If you hit ok on the steering wheel it will read them to you which can be quite entertaining at times. Also vehicle health reports work just fine now.

Back