Programming Replacement Key

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeffroper

They said it couldn't be done, but I was able to program a replacement intelligent access key myself without the need to pay a locksmith or dealer. I have a 2017 FFE and wanted a 3rd key in case I lost one of the others. Apparently you can't program a key yourself without 2 working keys. The instructions to program your key in the owners manual are correct. The instructions that Ford has online are not correct by the way. The owners manuals for the 2015 through 2017 FFE show the same programming instructions so I would assume the process would work for those year model cars as well.

I purchased my replacement key from CarAndTruckRemotes.com. I ordered a remanufactured (used) key for $72 plus $3 shipping after $8 off coupon. Looking at the website today it looks like they just raised their prices by $10. It took them 3 tries to get the correct key to me, but they paid for all the back and forth shipping, so no complaint here. They also sent a new key instead of used on the last round because they felt bad for all the back and forth. They were confused by the change in part number for the 2017 year.

Be sure you order the correct key number. The part number is printed on the black plastic under the emergency key. You will need a magnifying glass and bright light to be able to read these numbers. There are 3 numbers and you need to match all for the key to work. The bottom number on my key started with BT4T. Apparently earlier years used the key that started with CJ5T. Also make sure you order the correct emergency key. Mine was the square laser cut key. Some year cars had an old style key.

Enjoying my 2017 FFE with the extended range and DC quick charging. I was considering a used model, but got such a good deal on a new one, I couldn't pass it up. I paid $23K at the dealer and after $10K in rebates it came to $13K. Used models are selling for that much here. If I could have qualified for the state rebate of $2500, the price would have been $10500. Of course you have to pay the sales tax on the full $23K amount which amounted to about $2K. There aren't many new cars that are selling for less. I figure I save $1000 per year just on fuel costs alone over driving my 20 mpg truck.

I wonder if that will work on the 2012 Focus? I noticed in the 2014 manual that there is reference to programming new keys on your own, but no procedure is mentioned. In the 2012, there is nothing mentioned about programming additional keys, but I think there is very little difference between the 2012, 13, and 14 models.

jeffroper said:
...got such a good deal on a new one, I couldn't pass it up. I paid $23K at the dealer and after $10K in rebates it came to $13K. Used models are selling for that much here. If I could have qualified for the state rebate of $2500, the price would have been $10500. Of course you have to pay the sales tax on the full $23K amount which amounted to about $2K. There aren't many new cars that are selling for less. I figure I save $1000 per year just on fuel costs alone over driving my 20 mpg truck.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTT????? I didn't realize the price thing... That's insane! Congratulations!

davideos said:
I wonder if that will work on the 2012 Focus? I noticed in the 2014 manual that there is reference to programming new keys on your own, but no procedure is mentioned. In the 2012, there is nothing mentioned about programming additional keys, but I think there is very little difference between the 2012, 13, and 14 models.
Following the steps in the owners manual from a 2016 model (I believe this procedure is applicable to the 2015-2017 MY) does not work on the 2014 and earlier models. At least I couldn't get it to work on my 2014. Of course the sensor is on the steering column where the key would ordinarily go, so holding the key to the sensor on the steering column as the only deviation from the procedure below.

1. Open the floor console storage
compartment lid.
2. Remove the tray.
3. Place the first programmed intelligent
access key flat on the symbol at the
bottom of the floor console storage
compartment.
4. Press the START STOP button.
5. Wait five seconds and then press the
START STOP button again.
6. Remove the intelligent access key.
7. Within 10 seconds, place a second
programmed intelligent access key flat
on the symbol.
8. Press the START STOP button.
9. Wait five seconds and then press the
START STOP button again.
10. Remove the intelligent access key.
11. Within 10 seconds, place the
unprogrammed intelligent access key
flat on the symbol.
12. Press the START STOP button.
Programming is now complete. Check that
the remote control functions operate and
your vehicle starts with the new intelligent
access key.
If programming was unsuccessful, wait 10
seconds and repeat Steps 1 through 12. If
programming remains unsuccessful, have
your vehicle checked by an authorized
dealer.

Regarding the 2012 FFE key programming, the FFE owners manuals for all years are available online from Ford. My dealer said that I couldn't program a key myself, so don't expect them to know. I had a hard time confirming that the 2017 FFE key could be self programmed. The manual for the 2012 says that you must take it to a dealer to get additional keys. I bet a good locksmith has the proper tools to program the key for you.

jeffroper said:
Regarding the 2012 FFE key programming, the FFE owners manuals for all years are available online from Ford. My dealer said that I couldn't program a key myself, so don't expect them to know. I had a hard time confirming that the 2017 FFE key could be self programmed. The manual for the 2012 says that you must take it to a dealer to get additional keys. I bet a good locksmith has the proper tools to program the key for you.

Haven't had to do this (yet) with my Ford, but I know my local locksmith (part of a towing company) was able to provide a replacement key for my Nissan and my BMW, both of which have proximity keys. And they did it at about 1/3 the cost the dealer charged. One thing to remember is that you may need to have all of the keys that you anticipate using with you for the reprogramming, as the programming of a new key may make the old keys not work (I know this was true for the Nissan, and I seem to remember was the same for the BMW; don't know if it is true for Ford).

Keith

How did you get $10k in rebates? I just got my 2012 used for $9400 with 17,000 miles this month. I didn't think the deals got much better than that.

What is the average price a dealer is going to charge to make you a new key? I've gone the "make your own key" route the last few cars I've had but each time it's been a big enough pain that I'd second guess doing it this time. I have 2 working keys and have yet to lose any keys for any of my other cars (knock on wood).

mcgavinz26 said:
How did you get $10k in rebates? I just got my 2012 used for $9400 with 17,000 miles this month. I didn't think the deals got much better than that.

What is the average price a dealer is going to charge to make you a new key? I've gone the "make your own key" route the last few cars I've had but each time it's been a big enough pain that I'd second guess doing it this time. I have 2 working keys and have yet to lose any keys for any of my other cars (knock on wood).
McGavin - rebates are only for NEW car purchase. You bought used, none available. Rebates were probably a combination of Ford cash, rebates, and incentives; and federal tax or state incentives.

You didn't miss anything.

mcgavinz26 said:
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the dealer doesn't make a new key for your car. Rather the car is programmed to accept another fob. If you're referring to the backup physical door key, that's a good question. I think any lock smith or the dealer can make those relatively cheap. If you buy it from them I believe most dealers will do the programming and door key cutting at no extra charge but they will rape you when buying a new fob/key. When I saw on Ford's owner website that you needed 2 already programmed keys and provided DIY instructions, I bought a 3rd used fob with identical part numbers on the PCB. Rumor has it that there are different PCBs and they're not all interchangeable. Only after I bough my fob did I realize that the instructions on Ford's owner site are wrong and there are no DIY instructions for new key programming on our '14 and earlier FFE's I believe you must go thru the dealer to program another key. My local dealer wanted $50. I declined since I only bought the 3rd fob as a backup and I supposedly needed to program a backup before I lost one of the 2 fobs. I guess if I ever lose a fob I'll pay as I have no other choice. FYI I think when they do the programming they need all fobs as I believe the procedure involves clearing all fobs from the PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System) module and then adding all the existing fobs back plus the new one(s).

Is there a specific part number for the 2017 Ford Focus Electric key fob? Something like M3N5WY8609? I couldn't find the BT4T key in the site you provided.

Pop off the door key. The part#'s are along the top edge of the pcb. If you don't have good eyes you may need a magnifying glass to see them.

Description says it's CJ5T key.
I assume you need to tell them to send BT4T key instead? (mine has this part number)
Why did they send you wrong keys at first?

Edit: Just sent email to carandtruckremotes and they replied that they don't have keys for FFE 2017 with BT4T part number. Weird...

I would call them at Car & Truck Remotes. I think I talked to Brian, he was very helpful. He should remember the issues he had with my remote and get the right part to you. They were confused because that BT4T is listed for another Ford model car, not the FFE. Just say you want the BT4T with the square laser cut key.

Back