Should I have Ford dealer service at 10,000 miles?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomEV

I just reached 10,000 miles on my 2016 FFE. So far I've had absolutely no problems. The manual advises getting the tires rotated, fluids topped off and a general inspection. Does anyone have an idea how much this would run and is it really necessary?

I am cheap and I was thinking of just taking it to my nearby service station and having them rotate the tires. I can add washer fluid myself.

I was hoping to have the Differential Recall work done at the same time but apparently no parts yet.

Any advice for me? Am I too cheap?

Like any car (gas or electric), every 10,000 miles really should have brakes, CV joints, suspension, etc.; all stuff you can see and feel on a lift, inspected for anything loose or wrong.

You can top off brake fluid and anti-freeze coolant reservoir yourself. On the anti-freeze coolant top-off, make sure you only had a pre-mixed 50-50 anti-freeze/water mix (distilled water please), because adding straight full-strength antifreeze is a problem with the small aperture internal passages, really weird but critical according to Ford/Magna.

electrons said:
Like any car (gas or electric), every 10,000 miles really should have brakes, CV joints, suspension, etc.; all stuff you can see and feel on a lift, inspected for anything loose or wrong.

That is a good point about all the other things that they will likely do during the inspection. Probably worth it. My experience with the dealer is that I never get out of there without spending a bunch. If I go I will report back on the cost and what I got for it.

Plus anything they find will be fixed under warrantee. If any bolt left the plant without the right torque applied, it would be loose by 10,000 miles.

That said, the last five ICE cars I bought new never went back to the dealer for an inspection. All logged at least 150,000 nearly-trouble-free miles before being sold, one over 300,000. Just changed fluids, filters, and spark plugs at the recommended intervals and checked the brake pads now and then.

Hmm. Since the FFE doesn't require any of that...not planning on a dealer visit unless something breaks or sounds/feels wonky.

I have taken my 2014 FFE in for annual Ford dealer service (tire rotation, inspections) twice and they have only charged about $12 each time.
Took less than an hour with no appointment too.
I think its worth it at that price...

NightHawk said:
I have taken my 2014 FFE in for annual Ford dealer service (tire rotation, inspections) twice and they have only charged about $12 each time.
Took less than an hour with no appointment too.
I think its worth it at that price...

Wow, that is cheap. Will try it out and see if my Southern California dealer will do it that cheap. Thanks!

On the antifreeze - don't mix your own. Don't do it. Buy Motorcraft Orange antifreeze already mixed.

OK, go ahead and mix your own. Use a knock off brand. And if you have trouble with the $14,000 battery - well you saved a few dollars on cheap anti-freeze.

I discovered the antifreeze on our newly purchased used 2013 was low. About a quart, maybe a little more. Just didn't want to take a risk with that battery using something other than real live honest to goodness Ford orange.

Tom - I would say it is well worth having the dealer take one look at your car. It's still under warranty so any repairs would be covered (isn't the warranty bumper to bumper 3 years 36,000 miles?). If you bought the car there, they will probably do the inspection and tire rotation for good will.

You know there aren't any muffler bearings or Johnson rods to repair or tune up (like there are on ICE cars), so they can't really charge you for those things.

EVA said:
I discovered the antifreeze on our newly purchased used 2013 was low. About a quart, maybe a little more. Just didn't want to take a risk with that battery using something other than real live honest to goodness Ford orange.

Did you have a low coolant warning light or you just noticed it was low?

kalel14 said:
EVA said:
Perfect example of absolute complacency on an electric car. People think they are maintenance free.
That said, I do think that if you just open the hood and look at fluid levels once ever 6 months (not too much to ask, right???), and also roll down the windows, drive next to a brick or concrete wall at 30 mph so you can hear every little noise reflected to your ear, you can at least detect most weird noise problems.

And then you do have all the on-board dashboard warnings the computers give you, so all taken together isn't bad.
Just be diligent once in a while.

kalel14 said:
EVA said:

No light. Noticed it looking under the hood while adding windshield washer fluid. We bought the car three months ago. It was the first time I looked. Honestly, I never looked at our 3 year old leased FFE.

The level was very low - it just covered the bottom opening, so the system didn't get air in it.

Be careful when you open the reservoir - do it in the morning after the car cools down. The coolant does get warm and the system is pressurized when warm.

Back