You can't program a Spare Key fob?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triangles

So on the owner.ford.com website: https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehi...w-to-program-your-intelligent-access-key.html It provides instructions for programming a spare fob. It says you must have 2 programmed keys to make a 3rd. So I figured I better pick of a cheap spare before I have to go get raped at the stealership when I lose one of the keys. So I buy a used fob off fleabay and then I print out the instructions. I head down to my car only to see in the instructions it says to use the "lock" and "unlock" buttons on either the drivers side or passenger side doors. Funny my car doesn't have those and I'm pretty sure no Focus does. Long story short I wasted money on a fob that I can't program and have to go the stealership to program a new key fob. So I'm basically posting this as a warning so no-one else wastes money like I did.

If anyone knows how you can program a 3rd key without involving the dealer I'd love to hear about it. I wonder if a locksmith can reprogram these?

According to the 2014 owner guide and the workshop manual, it looks like a scan tool is required. If you're ever in my neck of the woods (Livonia/Redford, MI, or Allen Park/Dearborn depending on the time of day), I'd gladly assist though.

(edited to add comments below)
Looking at a 2016 (presumably 2015 also), there is a procedure in the owner guide, but it's probably related to some of the interior updates the vehicle received during it's refresh. The spot where you're supposed to hold the key for instance has moved from the side of the column (where the key normally would be), to the console. So I doubt it'd work, but you can try the steps below, though I'd still hold the key to the side of the column, as it certainly won't have the key receiver in the console area for pre-2015 cars. If that doesn't work, then you're only bet would be using a scan tool for PATS access.

1. Open the floor console storage
compartment lid.
2. Remove the tray.
3. Place the first programmed intelligent
access key flat on the symbol at the
bottom of the floor console storage
compartment.
4. Press the START STOP button.
5. Wait five seconds and then press the
START STOP button again.
6. Remove the intelligent access key.
7. Within 10 seconds, place a second
programmed intelligent access key flat
on the symbol.
8. Press the START STOP button.
9. Wait five seconds and then press the
START STOP button again.
10. Remove the intelligent access key.
11. Within 10 seconds, place the
unprogrammed intelligent access key
flat on the symbol.
12. Press the START STOP button.
Programming is now complete. Check that
the remote control functions operate and
your vehicle starts with the new intelligent
access key.
If programming was unsuccessful, wait 10
seconds and repeat Steps 1 through 12. If
programming remains unsuccessful, have
your vehicle checked by an authorized
dealer.

Cutler03gt, Thanks I may take you up on that sometime this spring when it's warm enough for me to comfortably make the drive. I might see if I can get my dealer to do it for me when I take the car in for the door latch recall. I tried your steps but held the key up to the spot on the steering column. No dice.

These are the steps listed on Ford's website:
1) Put the new unprogrammed Intelligent Access key in the center console pocket.
2) Press the driver or passenger power door unlock control three times.
3) Press and release the brake pedal once.
4) Press the driver or passenger power door lock control three times.
5) Press and release the brake pedal once.

The indicator on the Start/Stop button should begin to flash quickly, indicating that the programming mode has been entered and two programmed Intelligent Access keys have been detected in the vehicle.

6) Within one minute, press the Start/Stop button.

A message will be displayed on the message center indicating that the new Intelligent Access key was programmed.

7) Remove the Intelligent Access key from the center console pocket and press the unlock control on the newly programmed Intelligent Access keys to exit the programming mode.
8) Verify that the new Intelligent Access key’s remote entry functions operate by pressing lock, then unlock, and then starting the vehicle.

Your new Intelligent Access key is ready to use.
Obviously this fails because we do not have a separate "lock" and "unlock" button. I tried anyway using the lock unlock button to no avail. Just lots of horn honking.

For your amusement this was my conversation with Ford's support:

A Ford representative will be with you shortly.
Melissa says:
Hello Brian. My name is Melissa how can I help you?
Brian says:
I bought a spare intelligent access key for my car. The instructions here: https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehicle-features/locks-and-security/how-to-program-your-intelligent-access-key.html do not work. How do I program my key?
Melissa says:
I'm happy to check my resources to see if I can find information for programming your spare intelligent access key. Just a moment, please.
Brian says:
FYI the instructions given at the link above for a 2014 Focus Electric say to use either drivers side or passenger door "Lock" and "Unlock" buttons in the process. This car has no door "Lock" or door "unlock" buttons. It only has a button on the center console/dash that acts as both lock and unlock buttons.
Melissa says:
I appreciate your patience, Brian. I was not able to find any information for programming a spare intelligent access key for your vehicle. According to your Owner's Manual, you have to see your authorized dealer to program this. Did you purchase the spare from a Ford dealership? If so, they should have programmed it for you.
Brian says:
NO I DID NOT PURCHASE IT FROM A STEALERSHIP. I PURCHASED IT USED ONLINE. I ONLY PURCHASED IT BECAUSE FORDS WEBSITE SAID I COULD DO IT MYSELF. NOW YOU'RE TELLING ME I CAN'T!! IF THE STEALERSHIP CHARGES ME TO PROGRAM IT I WILL BE EVEN MORE PISSED AT FORD THAN I AM NOW AND BELIEVE ME I WILL REMEMBER THIS EXPERIENCE THE NEXT TIME I PURCHASE A VEHICLE!!!
Brian says:
PLEASE HAVE SOMEONE REMOVE THE FALSE INFO FROM YOUR WEBSITE SO SOMEONE ELSE DOESN'T HAVE THIS SAME PROBLEM TOO!
Melissa says:
I can certainly understand your frustration. In order to program additional intelligent access keys, you must already have two programmed keys for your vehicle. Do you have two programmed intelligent access keys?
Brian says:
YES! I saw the instructions that said I needed two. Since the car came with only two I figured I'd buy a cheap spare in case I lost one so I could still program a replacement. Apparently I cannot even do that and I've wasted good money and time thaks to bullshit information on Ford's website.
Melissa says:
If you did not purchase the key from a Ford dealership or from the Ford Accessories website, there is no guarantee that it is truly a Ford product and would work with your vehicle. That may be the issue.
Brian says:
LOL Please! I am not that stupid. the car doesn't have separate "lock" and "unlock" buttons so it would be impossible to followin the instructions ford provides for programming the key. I am only sorry I didn't read the instructions more closely before wasting money on a fob.
Melissa says:
I understand where you're coming from, Brian. I can document feedback about the instructions. I am not sure why the configurations on the vehicle in the link are different from yours. I can only recommend that you go to a Ford dealer to have your spare key programmed.
Brian says:
The fob I purchased was a spare from another Focus with Intelligent access key. All 3 ID numbers on the fob are identical to the ones on mine so I am certain it would work if only there were a way for me to program it. Next time I take my car in for the door recall I will see if they will program it. If they want to charge me for the "service" Ford has lost me forever as a customer. Why does a key have to be so F'ing expensive. Please do send it up the chain so you don't have to deal with an
Brian says:
another pissed off customer

I'm thinking that's a generic procedure for various other vehicles. I'd always refer to the owner manual procedure, since they put a lot of scrutiny there.

Back