Anyone running winter tires with smaller wheels?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone! I'm now the proud owner of a 2013 FFE in Blue Candy Metallic. The car was a lease and it has mismatched tires. With winter approaching here in the Midwest, I'm thinking of getting a set of winter tires for the car so I'm not sliding around as much.

On my other cars, I have bought a second set of wheels for the dual purpose of having a skinnier tire and more sidewall to better protect against the inevitable potholes that appear on the road. Since the FFE has a unique wheel and tire size, I'd like to hear if anyone else has successfully run a smaller size. Looking at getting a set of 16 inch steel wheels from tire rack with size 215/55 R16 as found on the conventional Focus SE. Thanks.

I purchased the recommended Winter Tire/Wheel package (at the time) from Tirerack. Bridgestone Blizzak 215/60R16 on Steel wheels for my C-Max Energi, which has the exact same stock wheel and tire as the Focus Electric. The Blizzaks have performed quite well on the C-Max and I expect the same results on my Focus Electric.

Thanks. Yeah now that I look at it the 215/60 size more closely matches the diameter of the OEM tire (26.1 vs. 25.9). Glad to hear its feasible.

I just put on 205/60 R16 Pirelli Ice Zero FR winter tires I got from Tire Rack. The wheels are Ford alloys that I think were OEM on some model of Fusion. According to the math I ran, the 205/60 R16 will be within 0.17" diameter of the stock 225/50 R17 Michelins. The number of revolutions per mile is off by only 5.26. I've never used these Pirellis before, so this winter will be the test.

Thanks, yeah I found 16 inch Dorman steel wheels on Rock Auto for cheap so I may go for those. They are supposed to accept the OEM wheel covers from the Focus SE.

I was contemplating 15" wheels since the tires are even cheaper. 205/65/15 is just a fuzz smaller than the stock 225/50/17's Since they put 15" wheels on the lowest base Focus I would think they would fit the FFE since to my knowledge the spindles, calipers, etc are all the same so there should be no problem with 15" wheels. Someday I will confirm this... I just need to find someone with 15" wheels to verify.

triangles said:
I was contemplating 15" wheels since the tires are even cheaper. 205/65/15 is just a fuzz smaller than the stock 225/50/17's Since they put 15" wheels on the lowest base Focus I would think they would fit the FFE since to my knowledge the spindles, calipers, etc are all the same so there should be no problem with 15" wheels. Someday I will confirm this... I just need to find someone with 15" wheels to verify.

From what I can tell, 15" wheels do not fit on the FFE. I would have liked to go smaller because both tires and wheels are cheaper.

Magnetoreluctance said:
triangles said:

From what I can tell, 15" wheels do not fit on the FFE. I would have liked to go smaller because both tires and wheels are cheaper.

Not sure why it wouldn't, unless rotors are larger on the Electric version. The S model Focus comes standard with 15" wheels.
http://www.discountfordpartsfromsoundford.net/FPSS-2013-Focus-S-Wheels-Trim-s/434308.htm

Nope, I've verified rotors and calipers are the same on all mk3 focus. There's no reason I'm aware of that a 15" won't fit. Only reason I think it isn't listed as an option is because all hatchback focuses came with either 16" or 17" wheels. Either way I'd like to know for sure whether or not a 15" wheel will fit. Someday I will find out unless someone beats me to it.

triangles said:
Nope, I've verified rotors and calipers are the same on all mk3 focus.

Except for the RS. I wanted to see if my 17" wheels would fit on the RS I bought for my son, and they wouldn't clear the calipers. (was thinking this might be an inexpensive way to get him winter tires, since the RS is in Colorado Springs where he is going to school)

15 inch wheels aren't an option on Tire Rack and they do measurements for each vehicle. The FFE has different suspension and steering parts v. the gasoline model due to the added weight of the battery. This is verified by the FFE having a wider turning circle compare with base models.

I'm still waiting to hear from someone who has physically tried to put a 15" wheel on or eventually I try it myself before I give up on the idea of putting 15's on my FFE. I may hold up one of my spare 15" wheels to see if it might fit. Different bolt pattern but I figure I should see if it at least stands a chance at fitting.

Note that the very bottom of the barrel Focus (The model "S" ironically! LOL) comes with drum brakes in the rear and maybe different discs in the front. It is possible that it is the only Focus that 15" wheels fit on.

http://www.ford.com/cars/focus/trim/ssedan//viewall/
From the page above: "Front disc/rear drum and Anti-Lock Braking System"
Also from the page above: "15-Inch Steel Wheels with Silver-Painted Covers" Standard

I bet there is your answer: 15 inch wheels can only fit the S trim level.

Note that the hatchback is an option and thus isn't available in "S" trim.

I just did a little research on this. On TireRack, the 2012 Focus 5-door Titanium has a 15" winter wheel and tire package available for it. According to RockAuto the front rotor is 11" and is the same rotor on the standard 5-door as the Electric. So I think you could extrapolate that the FFE should be able to accept a 15" wheel.

Another option (if your Ford dealer is nice) would be to see if your local dealer has a Focus on the lot with 15" wheels and see if they would be willing to swap a wheel and see if it fits or not.

Omen87 said:
I just did a little research on this. On TireRack, the 2012 Focus 5-door Titanium has a 15" winter wheel and tire package available for it. According to RockAuto the front rotor is 11" and is the same rotor on the standard 5-door as the Electric. So I think you could extrapolate that the FFE should be able to accept a 15" wheel.

Gas powered models have different wheels/tires; 215/50 R17 instead of 225/50 R17. I don't think its a rotor size issue, its probably another part. While I'm sure you can run 15s on a conventional Focus Titanium, I can't find any source that says it works on a FFE. But I won't tell anyone how they should spend their money. :D

Yep as I posted earlier, I verified the rotors and calipers are the same part numbers on all MK3 focuses so the "S" sedan does have the same calipers/rotors as the FFE. Therefore the FFE should fit at least a 15" steelie. Since alloy wheels have thicker material, it is possible that 15" alloy wheels won't fit. I'll have to wander over to the focusfanatics.com forum to see if anyone has put 15" alloy wheels on an S trim sedan or any MK3 focus for that matter.

Omen87,
I also played around a little on tire rack and found a few more versions of mk3 focuses that had a 15" winter tire package option. I wonder why they list it as available for some but not all. FYI to anyone curious I found this awesome tire size calculator. It allows you to get a rough idea of how different tire/wheel sizes will or won't fit. You can also play with the offset. I've read on focus fanatics that the offset on the factory 17" wheels is 50mm the wheel/tire calculator I linked above also indicates 17" diameter, 7" wide and 50mm offset. Oddly it lists the Cmax as 52mm offset. I though we had the same wheels as the Cmax. I guess it would make sense that our wheels are 52mm offset vs the ICE focus having 50mm. We do have a 225 tire where the ICE tire is 215 wide. When my tires wear out I'm gonna try a 15" wheel with a narrower tire. I wonder if the reduction in rotational mass will have more than a negligible effect on range.

Follow up: I decided against a second set of wheels at this time due to the exorbitant price of TPMS sensors on top of the cost of wheels. So I ended up getting a really good deal on a set of Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme S tires in the standard FFE size.

dyrwORx.jpg

Ford TPMS Sensors can be had for FAR less than exorbitantly priced, btw.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SALE-FOR-FORD-MOTORCRAFT-SET-4-TIRE-PRESSURE-MONITORING-SENSORS-TPMS-Genuine-/331815415386?fits=Year%3A2013%7CMake%3AFord%7CModel%3AFocus%7CSubmodel%3AElectric&hash=item4d41bd6e5a:g:1rgAAOSwImRYMExJ&vxp=mtr

Also, I'd rather buy some cheap steelies and pay to mount the snows ONE time, instead of paying mounting/de-mounting every time the weather changes. Even at Walmart, mounting will cost $80 per set, per time. Even at once per season, that's $160 a year.

Not sure I'd trust those eBay sensors are genuine. Cheapest on RockAuto is $30/unit. Other cost on non OEM wheels are lug nuts which add up at $3/pop.

I go to Discount Tire and they charge $45 for a changeover. I'm not sure I'll keep this car more than 5 years so it just didn't make sense for me. YMMV.

If I'm able to source some OEM wheels for cheap, I might go for it but the timing didn't work out this year before the snow hit.

I was gonna forgo the TPMS sensors. I've never had a use for them in my over 2 decades of driving. But then again I'm not your average idiot. I actually check my tire pressures periodically. I'll either remove the bulb or just ignore the dash idiot light.

Edit: I went with some cheap 15" volvo wheels from craigslist. Offset is slightly less which isn't a big deal. I also figured out how to disable TPMS so no annoying light. :D

Back