Sync 3 Apple Carplay update

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMP40

Called Ford Sync team today (800.392.3673 option1,3,1) about the update. The representative stated all the information they had is that it will be a hardware upgrade done at the dealership, available before the end of this year. She had no information on if there would be a cost charged by the dealer.

When I pressed that I was told by the dealer it would be a no cost software update she did not offer any other information. I guess now I will wind up arguing with the dealer about spending money to "upgrade" a leased vehicle.

Why should Ford foot the bill for this? My car didn't have CarPlay when I bought it. That's the way it was manufactured. Getting it would be an upgrade, not a repair. Was it promised on the 2016?

It would be great if Ford offered upgrades! I'd buy the upgrade for sync 3. Would probably pay a lot of money for it too! It would be great if Ford had a credit card I could put the cost of the upgrade on.

I will not buy an entire new car to simply get updated software, or minor hardware upgrades. But, I would consider buying a new car for major uogrades...i.e. Autopilot. Although, if upgrade options for my 13 FFE were robust, I would put off buying a new car with major upgrades in order to offerd lots of minor upgrades. Not sure exactly where the line is drawn. Currently have a 2013 FFE, and Tessa model 3 reservation.

I too was told by the dealer that it would be a free update when I purchased my FFE in late 2015. Throughout 2016 we were provided different dates of when to expect it with the last being the end of 2016. I had my car at the dealer replacing the outdated 2.5G Telematic Control Module (recall) and I was informed that some 2016 FFE can get the update (software) others will require a paid for new module. Very frustrating, as I even saw support of this listed on the Ford website...something like all Sync 3 will support Car Play.... now they change their story. Nothing quite as nice as a bait and switch...

Hi,

I have a question about the Ford navigation system with CarPlay / Android Auto integration on 2016 models. Can you use both navigation system in the same time to benefit of the Guess-O-Meter features and a better navigation system (Apple Maps / Google Maps) ?

Thanks in advance.

Joey

joeyfraser said:
I have a question about the Ford navigation system with CarPlay / Android Auto integration on 2016 models. Can you use both navigation system in the same time to benefit of the Guess-O-Meter features and a better navigation system (Apple Maps / Google Maps) ?
If it works like it does in my C-Max: probably not.

When I have my Android phone plugged in on Android auto it takes over the radio. Even when you navigate back to the Ford screen pressing the Nav window brings you back to Android Auto. Don't know how it works on CarPlay.

:shock: Do you still have access to the flow screen when Android auto is on ? I know that some Sync 3 features are replaced by CarPlay or Android Auto when it is used.
Thanks for your input.

jmueller065 said:
joeyfraser said:
If it works like it does in my C-Max: probably not.

When I have my Android phone plugged in on Android auto it takes over the radio. Even when you navigate back to the Ford screen pressing the Nav window brings you back to Android Auto. Don't know how it works on CarPlay.

Carplay takes over the nav and some options. You can still use your Sync3 radio and such. I agree sometimes its nice to use your ford nav instead as wife playing with the phone takes nav off the screen! You can probably still view your flow screen. I can check.

With the right LCD display in my dashboard on my C-Max 2014, I have access to my Ford navigation system. I was under the impression that this screen was not part of CarPlay or Android auto integration, so I would be able to use both navigation system in the same time. Thanks for checking the available Sync 3 options ;)

shniestEV said:
Carplay takes over the nav and some options. You can still use your Sync3 radio and such. I agree sometimes its nice to use your ford nav instead as wife playing with the phone takes nav off the screen! You can probably still view your flow screen. I can check.

Since the flow screen is under the APPs section in Sync3 I have confirmed it does not work when carplay is enabled...sync3 app/mobileapp menus are greyed out.

What happens to the right display in your dashboard when CarPlay is enable ?

Do you still have access to the same menus and does it displays CarPlay features instead of Sync 3 original features ?

- Entertainment
- Phone
- Navigation
- Surplus

Thanks a lot of your input.
Joey

I know the entertainment piece still seems to work... navigation does not... I believe it just shows you the compass when car play is enabled.
I dont normally use it for anything else so i dont know about phone and surplus

Just installed the USB module in my 2016 but now having second thoughts about doing the SYNC upgrade.

If I am understanding correctly, if you use CarPlay you are forced to use the Apple maps navigation. Does that mean the car is not aware of the destination (will you charge here?) and there is no budget status available on the left nav? That would be a deal breaker for me. That feature has saved me more than once when I needed to slow down & conserve power to make it to my destination.

Can anyone confirm? Thanks.

My understanding is you will be able to use Apple Maps or Ford Sync Navigation with the Sync 3 upgrade.
I don't have my car yet, maybe someone else can confirm it.

henryfocus said:
Just installed the USB module in my 2016 but now having second thoughts about doing the SYNC upgrade.

If I am understanding correctly, if you use CarPlay you are forced to use the Apple maps navigation. Does that mean the car is not aware of the destination (will you charge here?) and there is no budget status available on the left nav? That would be a deal breaker for me. That feature has saved me more than once when I needed to slow down & conserve power to make it to my destination.

If you plug in your phone and enable carplay then it will take over your navigation, phone, etc.... If you wish to use your Sync3 navigation then you must disable carplay or unplug your phone.

SO yes you can use both... but you cant use carplay and use Sync3 nav at the same time....

henryfocus said:

You are correct. With both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, once they're enabled Sync 3's Navigation won't operate, and the car itself isn't aware of any routing you're doing. On the right mini screen in the instrument cluster you just get a compass displayed and a message saying something like "See main screen for Navigation". The Entertainment, Phone and Butterflies all still work on the right screen, but not Navigation.

On the left screen, "Range + Surplus" no longer appears when using either Android Auto or Apple CarPlay for Navigation. You can still get the Range screen, which shows plus and minus depending on how you drive, but you unfortunately no longer get the "You've gotta slowdown if you wanna get home" Range + Surplus screen :(

To get access to the Range + Surplus screen, I have to either disconnect my phone from the USB hub in the car, or turn off Android Auto. Then Sync 3 Navs comes back to replace the 'Maps' option. I then can Navigate using that, and it works as before.

BTW if people need part numbers for the USB hub (only needed if you want to use CarPlay - Android Auto works fine without it), they are:
HU5Z-19A387-A for the 2016 Ford Focus w/Sync 3 &
HC3Z-19A387-B for the 2016 Ford C-Max w/Sync 3

This is kind of a deal-breaker.

One trick I almost always do is set "Home" as my destination (and answer "yes" to the "Will you charge?" question) even when just "driving around". Then, no matter where I go, the car is always trying to estimate whether I can make it "back home" or not from wherever I am. I just need to watch the Surplus number to feel confident that I can keep motoring around and still have enough charge to make it home.

WattsUp said:
This is kind of a deal-breaker.

One trick I almost always do is set "Home" as my destination (and answer "yes" to the "Will you charge?" question) even when just "driving around". Then, no matter where I go, the car is always trying to estimate whether I can make it "back home" or not from wherever I am. I just need to watch the Surplus number to feel confident that I can keep motoring around and still have enough charge to make it home.

On our 2016, there's an option enabled where it'll pop up an alert saying that you're approaching the limit to get back home. I can't remember the exact name of the feature, but since we turned it on, even without an active navigation running, we get a yellow pop up on the left mini screen saying "Approaching limit to return home" (or words to that effect).

Back