New FFE owner with a question

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moparmarc

Hello, I just picked up a 2013 candy blue Focus with a bit over 16,000 miles. It's a good car to complement my 67 Plymouth GTX (license plate 8MPG GTX), amongst other vehicles.

So far so good, except I can't find how to lock the trunk. I can lock the doors and, if the keys are outside the 1m distance, they stay locked. The rear, however, can be opened with the button hidden behind the license plate light without the key. What gives? Is there a trick to disabling the hidden button? I'm nervous about parking it in my driveway overnight knowing that anyone can pop the rear hatch and go right in.

It almost seems like there's a loose key somewhere nearby affecting only the rear hatch, though I can't see how that would be possible. Googling this reveals the exact opposite: people who can't get the hatch opened at all.

Help, and thanks for all the great information you've already provided throughout the forum.

Marc

jmueller065 said:
Have you tried it with both keys further away than 1m? (and not on your person)
Yes, both keys are in the house, about 50ft away. I also let it sit for a while, thinking maybe there was a time-out setting that allowed you access the rear hatch for X minutes. No difference.

Wow never seen that, but never really tested it either. For all I know for the entire 3 years I had my FFE you could open the rear hatch with the doors locked.

jmueller065 said:
Wow never seen that, but never really tested it either. For all I know for the entire 3 years I had my FFE you could open the rear hatch with the doors locked.
If you get the chance, try it and let me know what you find.

For me, once I lock the car remotely, the rear hatch can only be opened if I unlock the car remotely, or press the button on the hatch with the key close to the car.

If the key is far away from the car, and the car is locked, none of the doors or the hatch can be opened.

Maybe the previous owner lost a key in the trunk area?

I have a 3 month old car that is doing the same and I can't find the key (I know I lost it inside)

any keyless key detector?

I have a 2013. If doors are locked the rear latch button will not work. If I have the key fob with me it will open.

mdfocus said:
I have a 2013. If doors are locked the rear latch button will not work. If I have the key fob with me it will open.

That's how my 2015 works.

2016 build - If I have the car running and leave with the key the car will honk at me when I close the door

Perhaps if you try turning on the car at a place away from your house (and the other key), leave the car on and exit. If it doesn't warn you - maybe you do have another key close.

Back