hybridbear

Re: Quality of Key Fob

Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:59 am

WattsUp wrote:Mine has some of the fake chrome rubbed off near where it attaches to the key ring, but the rest of the remote doesn't seem too shabby for three years of use.
This is really the only wear I see on my fob. However, it doesn't get much use with intelligent access & push button start. The main use my fob gets is remote starting the car to run the HVAC. Thos buttons show some signs of wear, but not much.
2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm - leased through 8/15/16
Replaced by a 2016 Tesla Model S 60D

WattsUp

Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:58 am

hybridbear wrote:However, it doesn't get much use with intelligent access & push button start.
That's true! I only really use mine to lock the car as I walk away. So, the fob mostly spends its life going in and out of my pocket, and not really getting "used".

I "occasionally" use it to unlock when I finally get frustrated with the "intelligent" handle not recognizing that my hand is there (after sticking it in and out like an idiot about five times).
2013 FFE, Platinum White, Delivered January 2013
2017 MS, Midnight Silver Metallic, Delivered February 2017
Use my referral code (http://ts.la/matt4377) to save $1000 on your next Tesla AND get free unlimited Supercharging!

NightHawk

Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:29 pm

WattsUp wrote:
hybridbear wrote:However, it doesn't get much use with intelligent access & push button start.
That's true! I only really use mine to lock the car as I walk away. So, the fob mostly spends its life going in and out of my pocket, and not really getting "used".

I "occasionally" use it to unlock when I finally get frustrated with the "intelligent" handle not recognizing that my hand is there (after sticking it in and out like an idiot about five times).
Yep I've hardly ever used any of the buttons on the FOB for the past nearly 2 years I've had my 2014 FFE.
I use the inside button or door button to lock the doors and the automatic open doors works well for me, rarely have to do it a couple extra times, but haven't had to use the FOB button to open the doors.

I have used my android smartphone with the My Ford app to do things like auto-start easier than the FOB anyway.
So my FOB is in good condition except for the same little bit of chrome removed by the key ring attached.
I've recently removed that key ring to keep it from getting any worse, but its very minor chrome wear anyway - hopefully the lease end inspector doesn't mind that small wear.
I've kept the 2nd FOB pristine, stored in a drawer in my house, soley as a backup which I haven't needed to use.
2014 Ford Focus Electric - Oxford White, Cloth Seats (Lease ended 9/28/2017)

WattsUp

Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:38 pm

NightHawk wrote:I use the inside button or door button to lock the doors and the automatic open doors works well for me, rarely have to do it a couple extra times
Doesn't your FFE auto-lock when you hit 7 mph?

I hardly ever have need to manually lock from the inside (thanks to auto-lock). I'm more likely to manually unlock from the inside (in order to let someone in).
but haven't had to use the FOB button to open the doors.
Really? The handles always sense your hand?
Use my referral code (http://ts.la/matt4377) to save $1000 on your next Tesla AND get free unlimited Supercharging!

hybridbear

Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:40 am

WattsUp wrote:
NightHawk wrote:but haven't had to use the FOB button to open the doors.
My car is pretty close to always working. It's rare that I need to use the fob to unlock. Usually when there's an issue with the handles sensing my hand it's because a passenger grabbed their handle first. The car seems to then disable the handle unlocking to prevent unauthorized access to the car.

campfamily

Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:55 am

hybridbear wrote:Usually when there's an issue with the handles sensing my hand it's because a passenger grabbed their handle first. The car seems to then disable the handle unlocking to prevent unauthorized access to the car.
I've noticed exactly the same thing......one of those "unintended" features??

Keith
GONE - 2015 FFE, Magnetic with leather interior, debadged & tinted
38,500 miles (since May 2015), average 246 Wh/mile

REPLACED WITH - 2018 Tesla Model3, LR RWD, Obsidian Black
20,000 miles (since Nov 2018), average 235 Wh/mile

NightHawk

Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:06 am

WattsUp wrote: Doesn't your FFE auto-lock when you hit 7 mph?
I hardly ever have need to manually lock from the inside (thanks to auto-lock). I'm more likely to manually unlock from the inside (in order to let someone in).
Yes the auto-lock works but I usually manually lock it anyway when I get in the car before I start moving.
Also I can open the car door but before leaving, press the inside lock button and then the doors will stay locked after I leave and close the door - again never need to use the FOB button!
If I forget and already outside the car, I just press the button on the driver side car door to lock it up.

The handle senses my hand most of the time, if not I just try it one or two more times and then it works for me.
2014 Ford Focus Electric - Oxford White, Cloth Seats (Lease ended 9/28/2017)

hybridbear

Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:45 am

campfamily wrote:
hybridbear wrote:Usually when there's an issue with the handles sensing my hand it's because a passenger grabbed their handle first. The car seems to then disable the handle unlocking to prevent unauthorized access to the car.
I've noticed exactly the same thing......one of those "unintended" features??

Keith
I viewed it as a designed feature. It could help prevent carjacking where someone is hiding alongside your vehicle, waiting for you to unlock it so that they can jump in. Who knows if that's actually the design...

WattsUp

Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:07 pm

hybridbear wrote:Usually when there's an issue with the handles sensing my hand it's because a passenger grabbed their handle first.
Yeah, I know that can happen too. But, it happens to me a lot when I'm by myself.

Pearl

Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:28 am

if my iPhone is in my left pocket, and I grab the door handle with my left hand, 30% of the time the door will not unlock. If I try my right hand, it works. Interference.
2013 Focus Electric
2013 C-Max Energi
2013 Escape

Return to “General / Main Focus Electric Owners Forum”