An online Ford Focus Electric Forum discussion group

It is currently Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:20 am 

J_PATT wrote:
It scares me, I am not sure there are a lot of FFEs in Kansas City so hopefully the tech doesn't have issues when it comes time for me to get it done.
At least this is entirely mechanical, not electronic. Changing a differential is simple to these folks. Techs may simply need to consult Ford instructions anyway. Not this one, but the modem replacement recall, is the strange new electronic module one for Techs.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:34 pm 

I just had this transmission recall work completed (after over a week at the dealer) and boy am I upset. My Focus now sounds like someone put a baseball card in its spokes! It had no problems before, so I feel like an idiot for fixing it when it wasn't broken.

After picking up the car, my first clue that something was wrong should have been how much force it took to shift it out of park.

As I drove home I kept thinking, "is that sound my car or the ICE cars around me?" Finally, when I got onto an empty street, I confirmed it was my Focus.

During acceleration only, there is a rhythmic knocking sound that increases its pace as the car gets faster. After about 30 mph you can't make out the individual knock anymore and it is just a dull hum. Something is likely hitting something else internally as this car was silent aside from the high pitched electric whine. I turned right around and dropped it back at dealership.

Has anyone else had this problem so I can point the service tech in the right direction? Concerned.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:41 am 

henryfocus wrote:
My Focus now sounds like someone put a baseball card in its spokes!

A guess: They forgot to put in lubrication fluid inside the differential. Or maybe not enough. Who knows.

Please write back when you find out what they messed up. Could even be just a bad part, since technically all the Ford dealership had to do was put some mechanical pieces together.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:51 am 

They put the car up on the lift and confirmed the sound was coming from the transmission area that they worked on. They agreed the sound should not be happening, the tech had done this recall before, but they didn't immediately know the cause. After a few days of back and forth with Ford for advice, they re-opened the transmission or electric motor (this was never clear to me, I heard both).

The technician found a bearing that was rough to turn by hand and metal debris in the gears.

I heard this from two service people there: one called the debris metal and the other called it magnet shards when he read it from the service notes. If it is magnet shards, to me that sounds like something motor related. I don't know where else there are magnets. But I have no idea why this would appear after differential work. So, I'm thinking calling them magnet may have been a mistake.

They are taking pictures and working with Ford for advice. They hope to have a solution in 10 days. After some initial delay, they are now definitely making me feel like it is a priority and are giving me regular updates every couple days. They also provided an ICE loaner for free.

To others with this problem, please forgive the ambiguity in the details. I am relaying things reported up through a few layers of people and have never been able to talk directly to the technician.

I'll keep posting as I hear more.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:35 am 

henryfocus wrote:
I heard this from two service people there: one called the debris metal and the other called it magnet shards when he read it from the service notes. If it is magnet shards, to me that sounds like something motor related. I don't know where else there are magnets. But I have no idea why this would appear after differential work. So, I'm thinking calling them magnet may have been a mistake.

Quite a story. As for the "magnet shards", they could mean metal shards found sticking to the differential body's pan magnet, similar to magnetic drain plugs (I use them on my ICE car's engine sumps and factory differential plugs are often magnetic to attract small debris).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:58 am 

A Ford engineer from the Wayne Plant in MI where the Ford Focus Electric is made talked to me yesterday at the Denver Auto Show.
I was surprised Ford sent actual factory people to our "usually not respected" auto show here! LOL

Anyway, he remembered the problem with our differentials, and did confirm that Magna, the supplier, simply failed to heat treat (harden) the pinon shaft (between the spider gears) properly. I should have talked to him longer, as it seems maybe a bit odd the 'cure' is to put on DLC coating instead of just proper heat treating processes. Whatever the case, I guess they want the assurance of the very solid DLC treatment to prevent any further problems.

Another Ford factory worker was at the Denver Auto Show, a very cute young lady who works on Mustang & Continentals at another Ford plant in MI. We walked around and she showed me what she did to put parts on the cars, a rare demonstration.

We all should visit the Wayne Ford plant for a tour before they change over to Ranger production. Most take a tour before April 2018 to catch the last Ford Focus Electrics coming off the line. After April 2018, no more. Ford is going to new models of electric cars. (Maybe the European Ford Focus Electric plant will continue on for a while, don't know for sure.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:06 am 

After cleaning out the debris inside the differential, the tech discovered that the gears were damaged after all. Ford had them replace the entire differential and the bearings holding it.

Unfortunately, they reported that the original noise remains and confirmed that at low speeds it sounds like a baseball card in the spokes. They have it up in the air trying to locate the source somewhere between the differential and the motor.

At this point, they are trying to get a tech from Ford to come out and see it.

Anyone have any ideas I can forward to them?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:01 pm 

They are replacing the electric motor next. It's still not clear how it went from recall work to this point, but here we are.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:16 am 

did you car run great before the recall?

I have not done the recall yet at 20k miles and no noises..but again I think the risk was a catastrophic failure of the differential.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:17 pm 

Yes, the car was running great before the recall work was done: silent and quick, probably just like yours. Which is what makes me so curious how this recall work resulted in a wrecked differential and replacement motor.

At this point, even if replacing the electric motor solves the noise, I'm not sure I'm ever going to feel confident in this car not breaking down under acceleration. Which is a shame, I was a big promotor of it whenever I received questions about it.

Will continue to keep this thread updated for anyone else who has to go through the same.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next