fbitz777

Re: New Recall - Differential Assembly

Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:09 pm

I will be getting close to 20,000 miles by the time they figure out how to get the parts.
2014 FFE ..replaced with a 2016 FFE by Ford. Loved it...sold early 2017
2017 Tesla X75 2017 Bolt EV Premier

shniestEV

Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:36 pm

I called in summer when it first came out... they told me Q4 2016 for parts... i called back in January 2017 when i never heard back and they said we will order parts... its now almost end of Feb and i'm told they still are waiting for the parts and have no ETA.
2016 Magnetic FFE - Canada

triangles

Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:46 am

Didn't ford send out a notice that said you'd get a second notice when the parts were available? Wait I think that was the door latch recall. I would have though they'd do something similar with this recall.
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)

electrons

Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:40 am

triangles wrote:Didn't ford send out a notice that said you'd get a second notice when the parts were available? Wait I think that was the door latch recall. I would have though they'd do something similar with this recall.
That's what they should have done with this Differential Replacement recall. They didn't. No transparency means we don't know what the hold-up is.

Since this is an official NHTSA recall, Ford needs to justify inaction to the feds and to customers ASAP.
shniestEV wrote: i called back in January 2017 when i never heard back and they said we will order parts... its now almost end of Feb and i'm told they still are waiting for the parts and have no ETA.
Same here. I still need to ask my Service Advisor (and parts dept.) at the local Ford propaganda dealership about what I can do to ask nicely what is happening.

electrons

Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:57 am

I can't remember getting two notices (one original, and then one when parts are finally available). Some text below indicates there was a parts supply issue at some point. There is a Ford customer service number to call in the paragraph below.

From https://www.cars.com/recalls/ford-focus_electric/ we have:

NHTSA Vehicle Safety Recalls
Recall Number
16V479000

Recall Date
06/28/2016
Component
POWER TRAIN:DRIVELINE:DIFFERENTIAL UNIT
Summary
Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain model year 2015-2016 Ford Focus Electric vehicles manufactured August 20, 2015, through April 13, 2016. The transmission's differential pinion gear shaft may overheat and fracture.
Consequence
A fractured pinion shaft could cause a loss of motive power and loss of the transmission park function, increasing the risk of a crash.
What Owners Should Do
Ford will notify owners, and dealers will replace the transmission differential assembly, free of charge. Remedy parts are currently unavailable. Ford mailed interim notices to owners on July 28, 2016. Owners will receive a second notice when remedy parts become available. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-866-436-7332. Ford's number for this recall is 16S28.

electrons

Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:32 am

From the NHTSA website: NOTE: Parts are currently not available in sufficient quantities to repair all vehicles. Part orders can be requested through the Special Service Support Center (SSSC) using the SSSC link at the bottom of the OASIS VIN report screen to repair vehicles that meet the following criteria only:  Customer vehicles that arrive at your dealership with the symptoms described above.  New in-stock vehicles with a customer sales contract. It is anticipated that parts will be available in sufficient quantities to repair all vehicles in the first quarter of 2017

It looks like we get another letter very soon:
Also from NHTSA disclosures: OWNER NOTIFICATION MAILING SCHEDULE Owner letters are expected to be mailed in the first quarter of 2017.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2016/R ... 9-5205.pdf has the complete detailed parts list and some insider info.

Dealers will be notified via a DOES II communication if circumstances warrant a change in part supply strategy and when open ordering resumes. Parts Available – Open Ordering:
Part Number Description
Order Quantity
Claim Quantity
4S7Z-4B422-A Inner circlip - input shaft 1 1 CM5Z-1177-A Seal 1 1
W715491-S442
Ball joint bolt (1 package includes 4 bolts – 2 bolts required per vehicle)
W520415-S442
Ball joint bolt nut (1 package includes 4 nuts – 2 nuts required per vehicle)
1 2
CV6Z-3K050-A Ball joint seal shield 2 2
W790276-S900
Roll Restrictor bolts - horizontal (1 package includes 4 bolts – 3 bolts required per vehicle)
1 3
W717349-S442
Roll Restrictor bolt – vertical (1 package includes 4 bolts – 1 bolt required per vehicle)
1 1
DL3Z-19B596-B Air conditioning seal kit 1 1 6E5Z-19B596-A Air conditioning seal kit 1 1 TA-29 Silicon sealant 1 1 XT-10-QLVC Mercon ® LV 1 quart 1 quart

electrons

Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:41 am

Background on what happened: Ford found this problem during their own durability testing and pointed the finger at Magna:

Supplier Identification :
Component Manufacturer Name : Magna Powertrain of America, Inc. Address :1870 Technology Drive Troy MICHIGAN 48083Country : United States
Chronology : February – May 2016: A future model Focus Electric vehicle encountered issues with differential pinion shaft wear and fracture during routine vehicle durability testing. As part of the normal development process, Engineering initiated an investigation into the issue.
On May 19, 2016, Engineering reported to Ford’s Critical Concern Review Group (CCRG) that this issue may pertain to transmission differential components that had been used in prior vehicle production. Engineering was requested to continue their investigation into the scope of this issue.
May – June 2016: On-going engineering analysis and development testing found that the supplier’s removal of a friction-reducing coating on the pinion shaft gear bores would result in increased heat and wear, which could lead to a fracture of the pinion shaft. Engineering and our supplier concluded that this coating issue could affect components used in certain production vehicles.
On June 20, 2016, Ford’s Field Review Committee reviewed the concern and approved a field action.

ev4db

Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:18 pm

Just to give an update on this, I have now had the recall done. I may have noticed a little clunkiness on a couple occasions from the transmission before the service, but I'm not really sure if it had anything to do with the recall (I only have about 5k miles). In any event, everything is fine after the service. Supposedly the technician had done several others before mine, but there was some delay and confusion about getting the parts.

If anyone's interested, here's the section from the invoice:

2016 FFE, Platinum White

electrons

Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:49 am

ev4db wrote:Supposedly the technician had done several others before mine, but there was some delay and confusion about getting the parts.
http://www.wavpack.com/page1.jpg
http://www.wavpack.com/page2.jpg
Awesome, thanks, we should make a copy of that service report and give one to our Service Advisor, along with the parts list from the following PDF document to push them in the right direction: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2016/R ... 9-5205.pdf has the complete detailed parts list and some insider info.
Trying to get them to order all these RARE parts (at least here in Colorado) ahead of time so no waiting.

Your CA location means the techs there have seen these, not so in the middle of the country as much.

J_PATT

Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:09 pm

electrons wrote:
ev4db wrote:Supposedly the technician had done several others before mine, but there was some delay and confusion about getting the parts.
http://www.wavpack.com/page1.jpg
http://www.wavpack.com/page2.jpg
Awesome, thanks, we should make a copy of that service report and give one to our Service Advisor, along with the parts list from the following PDF document to push them in the right direction: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2016/R ... 9-5205.pdf has the complete detailed parts list and some insider info.
Trying to get them to order all these RARE parts (at least here in Colorado) ahead of time so no waiting.

Your CA location means the techs there have seen these, not so in the middle of the country as much.
It scares me, I am not sure there are a lot of FFEs in Kansas City so hopefully the tech doesn't have issues when it comes time for me to get it done.
2016 - FFE Magnetic Born 2/2016 <-- Traded in :(
2017 - Focus ST Magnetic

Return to “General / Main Focus Electric Owners Forum”