TomEV

Re: New Recall - Differential Assembly

Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:55 pm

Has anyone had this recall work done yet? Just wondering how long it will take. I got a notice last week but I am not in a hurry. Probably schedule it at 10K checkup in a few months.
2016 FFE Ruby Red

fbitz777

Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:01 pm

My car is close to 15k and what worries me is the language of the notice that I could be liable if I don't bring it in immediately

I'd like too to schedule it with my annual inspection in a few months
2014 FFE ..replaced with a 2016 FFE by Ford. Loved it...sold early 2017
2017 Tesla X75 2017 Bolt EV Premier

TomEV

Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:13 pm

I think that is common language in all safety recalls. They warn you that doom is right around the corner. I think it is partly because so many people ignore the recalls. I'm willing to do it...I just want to be assured that when I bring it in they will get it fixed promptly. Parts..check...mechanic who can do it and is scheduled...check..
2016 FFE Ruby Red

ev4db

Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:11 am

Has anyone actually had this done yet, or even tried to make an appointment for it?

I received the second letter and called my dealer to set up appointment. The first thing I was surprised about it that I was told that there were actually no parts required because this was just an inspection (and presumably parts would be ordered if required). That certainly does not match what the first recall letter stated.

Then I was told that the first available appointment was December 20! I made the appointment, but I'm a little curious if this is normal. The dealer I bought from is one of the largest FFE dealers in the bay area.
2016 FFE, Platinum White

electrons

Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:46 am

Question: See picture below of a typical pinion shaft and notice its rolling on bearings, much like wheel bearings you may have seen, with an inner ring and outer race, so the pinion shaft does NOT rub the bores/shaft.. So why the "...friction-reducing coating on both the pinion shaft and pinion gear bores." as they say?

It just can't be they are using Plain Bearings (non-roller). Doesn't seem right, yet does anybody know what this is?

Answering some of the posts above: No, its not just an inspection only. They must replace the differential.

I made an appointment yesterday, and its scheduled for November 2, a couple of weeks from now. The service adviser is going to order the parts ahead of time so the car doesn't sit around at the dealership waiting for the parts. (I've had parts ordered in advance before from another Ford dealership before the car goes in for service, and usually you can talk them into this.) They should be able to do this in a day.

electrons

Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:12 am

I think I see where I misunderstood. They meant spider planet pinion gear bores/shaft, not the pinion gear. They do ride on plain bearings. See them in blue below, but remember a shaft actually connects them (not shown in cartoon below).

Wonder what coating they are adding? Proper surface hardening would seem to be enough, not a new coating. Anyway, could it be DLC? Anybody know?

Weird they are failing. Those bearings aren't usually under very continuous motion at all. Hard to see how they overheat from friction unless you're running a slalom all day long on a hot day.

triangles

Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:57 am

Could be that a batch a parts wasn't properly hardened and they are simply using the friction reducing coating as a layman's term?
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)

electrons

Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:11 pm

triangles, Surface hardening problems would be my guess, since I've heard of that happening with steel timing chains (recall on recent GM V6's) and some cam lobes too, causing early failures. Yet, a coating is a coating. Ford is secretive. We may never know. Wikileaks, where are you?

brogult

Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:16 pm

@Electrons--there is no "pinion" as such--it is a transverse drive. The spider gears must be what they mean. Keep in mind that even though they might not be turning much, the entire driving force of the motor is transmitted through these gears and the shaft that runs inside them. So even if they are moving very slowly, they have a lot of force exerted between the gear and the shaft. This may actually cause more wear than if they were turning more rapidly, because turning draws the gear oil into the area between the gear and shaft while the motive force squeezes it out. I suspect that they need the anti-friction coating because they use thinner gear oil than some past designs--although I would be surprised if it were thinner than ATF. I wonder how big the parts actually are--is anyone willing to try to get a look at them when the recall is done?

electrons

Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:51 pm

brogult wrote:--there is no "pinion" as such--it is a transverse drive. The spider gears must be what they mean. Keep in mind that even though they might not be turning much, the entire driving force of the motor
The recall specifically named pinion shaft/bores, and I learned the word pinion sometimes gets applied to those spider gears, certainly what Ford really meant to say. Other techies have called those spider gears "pinions", so Ford followed. The ring gear can turn from a spur gear, so no pinion is required.

They are going to replace the entire differential, and they probably want the core back. Maybe a Magna part? Dana perhaps?

Return to “General / Main Focus Electric Owners Forum”