Field Service Action 16B02

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sefs

Ford released Field Service Action 16B02. It addresses a corrosion issue on the lower battery connectors. Specifically, the connectors behind the rear driver side wheel. It addresses inspecting the connectors, cleaning corrosion, and adding a shield to protect the connectors from salt spray. I would definitely get this done, as my connectors cracked and it required my battery to be sent back. The cracked connectors on mine allowed salty water to enter the battery, eventually causing an isolation loss and SSN to appear. However, it first manifested itself as a high voltage transducer malfunction (due to partial shorting of the high voltage probe). They are sending out owner notifications this week. If your connectors are already cracked, they will require a send back to be fixed. And as a general FYI, make sure you clean your undercarriage in salt prone areas.

The FSA is applicable to 2012-2016 FFE's in Connecticut, Delaware, DC, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.

sefs said:
The FSA is applicable to 2012-2016 FFE's in Connecticut, Delaware, DC, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.
Do they send the notification to you even if your car was not purchased in and/or is not registered in one of those states?

I can see the FSA notice at owner.ford.com for my FFE, which was bought in and is also currently registered in California. But, if I go in and try to have it done, I will be rejected?

----

EDIT: Actually, owner.ford.com is showing 16A01 for my car, but the title is shown as, "16B02 BATTER PACK CONNECTOR".

d9d182c.png

Which is it? 16A01 or 16B02?

The FSA posted to OASIS last week, and for a while it was messed up with 16A01 and 16B02 showing up for me. However, the link for 16A01 never worked, and now it is gone. Only 16B02 exists on OASIS for my FFE. All documentation also has 16B02 on it.

I'm in Canada...

My FFE 2012 is at the dealer for 16B02... It took 5 weeks for 15B23 & 15N03... Ford technical hotline was recommending changing the high voltage battery, but it will be sent to be repaired if repairable...

Hey all...

The website still shows both recalls for my 2014 FFE. I had the 16A01 recall done just before the 16B02 recall was posted.

I've confirmed with my dealer that they ARE different. One is under the hood. One is at the battery.

Plan to have done next week. 16B02 is supposed to take most of the day (they haven't done one yet), where the 16A01 took about an hour.

noflipping said:
Hey all...

The website still shows both recalls for my 2014 FFE. I had the 16A01 recall done just before the 16B02 recall was posted.

I've confirmed with my dealer that they ARE different. One is under the hood. One is at the battery.

Plan to have done next week. 16B02 is supposed to take most of the day (they haven't done one yet), where the 16A01 took about an hour.

The Ford owner's website only shows one FSA for my 2014 FEE, but it lists both 16A01 and 16B02 in it:
FSA Title: 16B02 BATTER PACK CONNECTOR
Field Service Action Number: 16A01

So is that considered really two different tasks to the dealer?

Haven't been around for a long time, other things got in the way.

My 2014 FFE has 4 FSAs listed. 16B02, 16A01, 12M02, and 15N03 (live in Illinois)

Several weeks ago the car was in for the high voltage wire harness recall (can't remember if it was the A or B recall), and after getting the car back, figured everything was done and fine.

I just got a call from my dealer that the shield arrived and they will install it now. Funny, I've gotten so used to service describing everything to me in detail. I had no idea they ordered a part - the service guy never explained that to me.

In the meantime the 12V battery died on the car. One morning, just up and totally died flat - the car would not start even with jumpers. Had it towed to the dealer and they replaced the 12V battery. Dead cell in the battery.

So for those of you who have had 16B02 completed how long did it take. Montgomery went in for 15C06 and 16B02 today. After having my wife wait all day, 10:30 to 15:30 they are finally giving her a loaner to get home so obviously they are holding Montgomery at least overnight. Seems rather excessive when the service advisor said it would be a couple of hours.

Also, the service advisor did not see 16A01 on her screen when this was all scheduled even though I saw it on owner.ford.com It seems like a separate work package unless 16B02 subsume 16A01. Any comments/recommendations

Thanks and Cheers

Carl

If your connector plate is corroded and the connectors are cracked, they send it back to Piston in Michigan to have that plate and connectors replaced. If it is getting sent back, be prepared to be out of commission for a month. My FFE had the same issue happen before the FSA was a thing, and I haven't seen my FFE for over 6 weeks now..

@sefs, Thanks for your input and sharing your personal experience, painful as it may be. It seems I got off lucky and the FSAs were completed with no issues other than the dealership being very unfamiliar with the FFE. Apparently mine was only the second FFE on which they have conducted this work. So, in spite of the work order indicating a total of only 2 hrs labour (15C06 = 0.2 hrs, 16B02 = 1.8 hrs) the car was being worked on for in excess of 10 hrs. No doubt a big part of my good fortune was that Montgomery is a 2015 model who has just completed his first winter which, by our standards anyway, was relatively mild and saw a lower than usual amount of road salting. The connectors were cleaned and inspected. No problems were found so an anti-corrosion coating was applied and an extra shield was installed. It sure is good to have him back home here I know what is happening to him and can ensure he receives proper care.

On a different note, did Ford make any comments regarding warranty etc in light of you installing the DCQC system in your car?

Thanks and Cheers

Carl

cpwl said:
On a different note, did Ford make any comments regarding warranty etc in light of you installing the DCQC system in your car?

Thanks and Cheers

Carl

I remove my system before I take it in for servicing. It only takes about an hour and a half to return the car to stock, and eliminates any questions. On a practical note, the system does limit access to doing stuff under the hood; so I'd say it's practically necessary as well.

PS: I'm picking up my FFE today. That will make the total time at the dealer 6 weeks and 3 days.

Sort of relevant: Was just at my dealer taking my C-Max in for some Fit & Finish warranty work (the overhead console popped out and fell down!) when I happened to look into the service bay.

Sitting up in the very first lift...a silver FFE! Most likely in for the recall.

sefs said:
If your connector plate is corroded and the connectors are cracked, they send it back to Piston in Michigan to have that plate and connectors replaced. If it is getting sent back, be prepared to be out of commission for a month. My FFE had the same issue happen before the FSA was a thing, and I haven't seen my FFE for over 6 weeks now..
This is why I will NOT be taking mine in. I have had no issues and there are only 3 months left on my lease. I do not want to bring it in and lose it for many weeks. This close to lease end I'll just take a chance that it's okay.

Anyone have a recent experience with this FSA? Dealer just told me that my FFE failed the test and they are "sending out the battery pack for repair or possible replacement."

Says it should only be a "couple days" :roll:

Ugh...wondering if the process has improved at all since the FSA was first issued when it sounds like sefs was out of commission for weeks.

I had this done. It was actually surprisingly fast. Once they inspected, and found the corrosion, the dealer has to request a shipping container to return to the battery pack to the manufacturer ( I cannot recall their name right now). A day or two to get that, then a few more days to return it to the manufacturer. Supposedly they repair it and send it back, and that takes a few ore days as well as the return shipping time.
However, I think they may just send the dealer a pack that had already been repaired, so they can repair yours and have it ready for somebody else that needs it.
When view my battery age, via FORScan, it now appears to be "younger" than the one I had previously.

Mine's out for this right now. Took the local shop 3 weeks to even work on it, and was told the turn around on the batteries was 7-14 business days.

My only concern is that I get a battery pack back with more usage on it, and a diminished capacity. Guess I'll cross that bridge. . . .

I took mine in a month or two ago for this and the software update. They were done about 4 hours after getting the car. My connector was not broken and corroded though. So I'm guessing they just greased it and put on that splash shield.

Back