Brake wear

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmen

So about a year ago I took my focus to Sears to plug a nail hole in a tire. The guys did the complimentary multipoint inspection and noted at least one rotor (the one on the nailed wheel) had grooving outside of acceptable specs, and they wanted to replace them. I checked it out and sure enough they felt pretty groovy. I was just about due for my yearly Ford service check, so I kindly declined their recommendation but I asked the Ford guys about it the following week. They said it looked fine to them. I thought it was odd the rotors would wear out while still on my oroginal pads, but reassured by the Ford guys I put it behind me.

So now I'm about due for the annual check again, and planning to go in for the recall work anyway. And lately I'm noticing the braking is a lot rougher when not regenerating. It feels like my wife's car did recently just before she got some new brake pads. It's spring and kind of rainy here, and in the past when the car would sit out in the rain the brakes would feel like this for a stop or two, then seem to rub off some rust or something and be back to normal. But this time it seems more constant. The rotors seem maybe a little more grooved/ worn. I'll have them checked out of course but thinking at least the pads are going to be replaced.

I've got 27000 miles on this car, over 3.5 years, with a lifetime braking efficiency of 98%. I'm wondering if anyone else has had to replace pads or rotors on their FFE, and at what mileage. This seems too soon considering how little the friction brakes need to do. Could the lack of work make them wear too? Like if they arent scrubbed of road salt/slush/rain/whatever by braking, could that lead to early deterioration?

If you have 98% brake efficiency, you are barely using the mechanical pads. Give it a couple good speed run ups on open road and hit the brakes a couple times harder and longer to "clean stuff up" . Then don't worry about it. I'm at 27K in 2 years and there's little wear, just some crud build up because the car rarely uses it's capabilities.
The rotors will build up some oxidation and residue when not used. Sit for a week with some rain and they rust. All Surface stuff that initially feels funny, but once used it is fine.

Back