triangles

Recall / Field Service Action; Where to find more info?

Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:55 am

I was looking for info on etis.ford.com site and put my vin in and found this recall notice:

FSA Title: HIGH VOLTAGE WIRE HARNESS UPDATE AND REPROGRAM POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE
Field Service Action Number: 15B23

I googled the FSA 15B23 and found nothing. I'm not worried as I'm not having any problems with the car. I just wanted to find more info to see what this was all about.
2014 Blue Candy FFE
http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/focus/2014/triangles/303811 (since this forum doesn't allow BBcode in sigs)

hybridbear

Re: Recall / Field Service Action; Where to find more info?

Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:59 am

triangles wrote:I was looking for info on etis.ford.com site and put my vin in and found this recall notice:

FSA Title: HIGH VOLTAGE WIRE HARNESS UPDATE AND REPROGRAM POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE

I googled the FSA 15B23 and found nothing. I'm not worried as I'm not having any problems with the car. I just wanted to find more info to see what this was all about.
OASIS would have more info. Unfortunately, no one on the forum has shared that they have access to OASIS & no one seemed interested in my idea to buy a shared subscription amongst a few forum members.
2013 Ford Focus Electric - Ice Storm - leased through 8/15/16
Replaced by a 2016 Tesla Model S 60D

sefs

Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:25 pm

It's available to all FFE's. Basically, they separated the two high voltage cables under the hood and put them in separate convolute instead of sharing one. They also replace some contact springs withing the connector going to the TCM. The shorting pins for the HVIL also get replaced with new gold plated ones. This is done with the aim of fixing SSN warnings. They also reprogram the TCM and PCM. Free of charge, no need for warranty.
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD Multicoat Red Metallic
2012 Ford Focus Electric Ingot Silver - Sold
BRUSA Boosted to 46A at 240V charging, 11kW
Chademo DC Quick Charge Enabled!
Home Quick Charger --> 33.8 kW AC / 31.3 kW DC

NightHawk

Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:15 pm

sefs wrote:It's available to all FFE's. Basically, they separated the two high voltage cables under the hood and put them in separate convolute instead of sharing one. They also replace some contact springs withing the connector going to the TCM. The shorting pins for the HVIL also get replaced with new gold plated ones. This is done with the aim of fixing SSN warnings. They also reprogram the TCM and PCM. Free of charge, no need for warranty.
This shows up at the Ford owner site under the recall list after signing in for my 2014 FFE now too:

Is this a brand new fix from Ford for FFEs, better than the previous wire harness replacements?
Does this mean Ford has finally come up with a full solution for SSNs due to cable wire harness issues?

Can we schedule this fix for any FFE at a local Ford electric dealer now or is there going to be a new cable harness supply issue for awhile?
I wonder how long (assuming the dealer has the parts first) to do the work and if more than a day if the dealer would give a free rental vehicle for the duration of the work?
2014 Ford Focus Electric - Oxford White, Cloth Seats (Lease ended 9/28/2017)

NightHawk

Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:28 pm

If any FFE owner here gets this new FSA done at a local Ford dealer soon, please report it here in this thread with details including how long it took the dealer to get the parts and perform the work. Also if the dealer gave a free rental car if the work took more than the same day.

joejoe317

Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:38 pm

Oh shoot, I forgot to mention this to you guys in my other thread (thinking about buying a focus ev). The day it came out (last friday), I was actually on the phone with ford customer care and the lady said it was due to some of the focus EV's that would show the red hazard light. I was going to call my local ford dealer today after work but completely spaced it. I feel bad, should have let everyone know.

I am not sure what CAD tools Ford was using at the time for harness, but I now know they use a really high quality tool as of this year. This is probably what they were waiting for in order to fix their harness issues.

The ford dealership that I bought this from let me know they would lend me a car while they did the work. They didn't mention how long it would take (probably because it is so new).'

I would recommend to call your local dealer just in case a shortage later on does happen, at least you will be one of the first on their list (hopefully they will have one) and can get it fixed quickly.

WattsUp

Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:21 pm

sefs wrote:It's available to all FFE's. ... Free of charge, no need for warranty.
Seems like another new FSA, 15N03 (Title: HIGH VOLTAGE WIRE HARNESS EXTENDED COVERAGE) which also recently appeared for my FFE, is likely related to 15B23?
2013 FFE, Platinum White, Delivered January 2013
2017 MS, Midnight Silver Metallic, Delivered February 2017
Use my referral code (http://ts.la/matt4377) to save $1000 on your next Tesla AND get free unlimited Supercharging!

NightHawk

Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:30 am

WattsUp wrote:
sefs wrote:It's available to all FFE's. ... Free of charge, no need for warranty.
Seems like another new FSA, 15N03 (Title: HIGH VOLTAGE WIRE HARNESS EXTENDED COVERAGE) which also recently appeared for my FFE, is likely related to 15B23?
Is that a special warranty for the wire harness?

joejoe317

Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:00 am

On the phone with my local ford dealership. So far he has told me that no parts are necessary and that it is all software related. He said the longest procedure is an hr and a half and the shortest is 30mins. He said the most time needed is about 2hrs because of paper work etc. He then retracted and said that some modification by applying electrical grease to harness to the high voltage interlock. The harness also needs to be separated from a different part of the harness.

The reason there is a fluctuation in time is because it is conditional. The conditions will be based on a checklist they have, so 30 minutes is the shortest time it will take a tech and an hr and half is the longest if everything on the list needs to be done. I believe he said there will be a software update as well. Hopefully for some reason this update will allow for better battery performance :)

So to answer every ones question, there is no physical parts that need to be added.

sefs

Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:49 am

joejoe317 wrote:On the phone with my local ford dealership. So far he has told me that no parts are necessary and that it is all software related. He said the longest procedure is an hr and a half and the shortest is 30mins. He said the most time needed is about 2hrs because of paper work etc. He then retracted and said that some modification by applying electrical grease to harness to the high voltage interlock. The harness also needs to be separated from a different part of the harness.

The reason there is a fluctuation in time is because it is conditional. The conditions will be based on a checklist they have, so 30 minutes is the shortest time it will take a tech and an hr and half is the longest if everything on the list needs to be done. I believe he said there will be a software update as well. Hopefully for some reason this update will allow for better battery performance :)

So to answer every ones question, there is no physical parts that need to be added.
For vehicles built before May 19, 2014
If the high voltage harness connecting to the TCM is currently in two seperate convolutes, then yes, nothing physical is required. If you have both conductors in the same convolute, parts are required. They consist of abrasion sleeves (x2), terminal springs (x4), and HVIL shunt (x1) with electrical grease. After completion, reprogram modules. If they are already in individual convolute, only module reprogramming is required.

Vehicles build after May 19, 2014
Apply electrical grease to the HVIL shunt. Reprogram modules.

Estimated time given for both, 0.5 to 1.1 hours. 1 day car rental is pre-aproved. Owner notifications begin week of January 25, 2016. Applies to all vehicles. Program in effect through December 31, 2016. No mileage limit for program. Affects Focus Electrics built September 15, 2011 through August 15, 2014. Changes must be performed on all affected vehicles at no charge to the vehicle owner. All of the parts for the harness upgrade are in Part Number: CM5Z-15K607-A.
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR AWD Multicoat Red Metallic
2012 Ford Focus Electric Ingot Silver - Sold
BRUSA Boosted to 46A at 240V charging, 11kW
Chademo DC Quick Charge Enabled!
Home Quick Charger --> 33.8 kW AC / 31.3 kW DC

Return to “General / Main Focus Electric Owners Forum”