So I'm pretty sure Ford has given up on us...

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

douglas685

Well, sucks to say but I'm looking to offload my FFE in the next handful of months. I bought it with the intention Ford would be proactive about EV's but I'm guessing it will be years until Ford gets to that level.

I understand Ford's thinking about this; they would rather wait and focus on their 20 mile range Energi hybrid's than work with pure EV, but honestly our FFE's are already dinosaurs and I just don't see Ford doing anything to improve them in the future.

The range is low, and while this isn't uncommon to other EV drivers, other EV drivers can do something about it. Tesla offers quickcharging and battery upgrades; Nissan Leafs soon too will get battery upgrades to accompany their ChaDEMO charging; the i3 has a gas engine and 80 miles range in electric mode; and of course, the new Volt has 50+ miles with gas backup to accompany the Bolt's 200.

I guess maybe I expected too much. I figured Ford would offer a retrofit kit for the SAE frankenplug quickcharger (which would have an adapter for ChaDEMO), and maybe around 2016-2018 offer a battery upgrade to 150+ miles range. That alone would make the Focus Electric ready for the EV future. But sadly, I just don't see the Focus Electric ever getting upgrades in its current form. I think I have bought an original iphone.. novel, but not very useful and without updates by the second generation.

It's a shame. I love my FFE but 50 miles winter range is just brutal. No quickcharge makes it worse as I know my EV without updates is fading into obscurity compared to battery upgraded leafs and newer/better EV's in the future. I guess I shouldn't complain; but it's just annoying to see all of these other manufacturers trying to support and improve their products and Ford sits around acting totally clueless regarding their FFE. I'm sure owners at the Fiat 500/Smart Car/"insert obscure EV here" owners clubs feel the same way but it just sucks seeing how my very awesome FFE is already limited and I am looking to sell it to avoid getting stuck with an EV with no updates limited to grocery runs. Am I the only one who feels this way? :(

The FFE will get the same battery upgrades as other EVs since the batteries come from the same source. The only thing lacking is CCS charging.

Yeah. Unfortunately that's like saying the only thing missing on your gas car is a hookup to filling stations. You'll have to fill it up by hand. That takes three hours (no road trips for you). And the tank is 2 gallons.

Ok, looks like forum people are already on the aftermarket CHAdeMO projects. I feel better now. I guess if we don't have Ford we still have each other.

http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2548&p=20730#p20730

I am far, far more interested in more range than in fast charging. As best I can tell, you cannot depend on availability of fast chargers...half of them don't work. I'm much more interested in being self dependent with a bigger battery.

But I agree, looks like Ford isn't going to offer the next generation...they have fallen behind Chevy and soon will be behind Nissan I'm afraid.

I keep hoping, hoping Ford will offer a 200 mile car, but it looks like Chevy will be the first with a reasonably priced one.

I still think the FFE is a great car, but the day of the 80-mile class car is closing. They would have to do nothing but increase the range and I would happily buy another.

I'm disappointed but I'm not ready to give up on Ford yet. This year has been a "performance" year for Ford and thus all their big splashy reveals have been about the new performance cars (new GT, new Focus RS, new spiffy Mustang, etc.). I blame Mark Fields for that--I think he is more of a performance guy than EV/plugin (all the green initiatives in Ford have come from Bill Ford and since his name is still on the building and he is still the chairman of the board I think they will get there eventually anyway).

Another thing to think about is the CARB requirements in CA are simply going to go "up" forcing all OEMs into this EV game. Much like with the FFE Ford will do something but it will be after everyone else does.

3rd: Ford has already shown an FFE with CCS charging--they just really haven't shouted it. The CCS FFE is discussed along with their "sustainable experiments". Thus somewhere within Ford someone put forth the effort to get CCS working on an FFE and from the outside of the car it looks like its production ready (and the stupid twisty charge cover seems to be gone on those FFEs). Look here: https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/2015/01/08/ford-working-on-ccs-for-the-ffe/

4th: Ford has just spent a ton of $$ and time putting charge stations everywhere in all their facilities. They wouldn't do that if they were going to ditch the plugins.

I don't think the Energie models are getting any more love than the FFE is...none of them have had any updates lately either.

Although I am also disappointed at Ford's lack of a leadership position when it comes to alternative fuel vehicles, I certainly don't allow that disappointment to negatively impact my current satisfaction with owning a FFE. I bought the car based on the abilities and qualities it has right now, not what I hoped it might have in the future. The fact that Ford may not be offering in the future electric or hybrid vehicles with capabilities that keep up with the competition moving forward disappoints me as a Ford shareholder, but not as a Ford owner. In no way would this disappointment cause me to possibly sell my current car. Discourage me from buying one in the future, yes, probably. Ford's lack of support going forward will likely impact depreciation of my current vehicle, but that's bad already, and was factored in when I did the financial analysis before buying this car. So long as my car continues to meet my needs, I'm satisfied. When I'm ready to buy another one, then I'll start looking at the new capabilities.

Keith

Hello all,
It's nice to know that I am not alone in some of my disillusionment with Ford. I have been a life long Ford owner and I jumped into the FFE experience with both feet. After the newness of the EV ownership wore off, I am starting to feel like a second class citizen. I get monthly coupons from my local ford dealer for oil changes, brake fluid change/inspection, etc. .. I am all for marketing to get me back into the dealership but at least know what type of car you sold me.. I wouldn't mind getting a coupon for a car wash/detail or other EV related diagnostics, but I have no use for an oil change.

Also, I am starting to realize that most EV owners are a-holes (Probably myself included :p ), the EV forums (not this one so much) are full of trolls, Politically Correct Activism and paid fudsters That and the government is starting to renege on it's support and obligations ( Illinois and other states bailing on EV owners rebates, or special taxes on EV's ).

I love the car and it is perfect for me (3 mile commute), fast and fun to drive. even so, I am starting to sour on the EV experience. The depreciation is off the charts with the current generation of EV's a car with a MSRP of $41500 is now worth 14K with only 12,000 miles on it. The Federal and State rebates were supposed to take some of the sting out of ownership for us early adopters, but some of those promises have been broken.

While I am disappointed with Ford, I still think the FFE is a good car, just obsolescent. More battery and I would be fine with it for another three years. All 80 mile class cars are obsolescent. (Note..I didn't say obsolete, it's not)

I would suggest that EVs are not at their best for people with three mile commutes, however. People who drive very little don't get the savings. I drive mine 80-100 miles a day, and it's doing a great job for me. I am, however, totally at the mercy of home and workplace charging both being available. If I had 30 or 35 kWh usable capacity, I would be in a much more self-controlled situation.

I really don't care if the car goes 250 miles....if I need to do that, my Volt does the job better. I really don't care if it has fast charging...I don't want to be dependent on getting access. But I do feel the lack of range, particularly now that capacity fade is beginning to be noticeable. Please, Ford, stuff more batteries into a car and I'm happy,

michael said:
...I would suggest that EVs are not at their best for people with three mile commutes, however. People who drive very little don't get the savings. ,

I would agree with you except.. That this is my only car ( I have a BMW motorcycle for interstate & pleasure travel ), so in addition to commuting I also have to use it to visit family friends & general errands. In the summer I plug in about every Tuesday, Thursday & Weekends, I am not shy about speed ( did you know that with the throttle ( rheostat ?) pegged at 87 MPH you only get about 32 miles ) or comfort (The AC is excellent & the Heat works great too although at considerable expense to the range). I can get to just about anywhere in Chicagoland and charging is generally available .. Yes it sucks to have to rent a car to go to Indianapolis or Milwaukee which I need to do several times per year but, it is still cheaper then a single oil change to rent a car. In the winter, I plug in every day, more so for go times and battery maintenance then need.

As much as I like the car I would rather have a big AWD EV (escape or explorer) with 50 miles range & all-electric drive train and a range extender generator.. if you are listening ford.. I would think that this setup would be a no brainer for city police vehicles also.

Max said:
As much as I like the car I would rather have a big AWD EV (escape or explorer) with 50 miles range & all-electric drive train and a range extender generator.. if you are listening ford.. I would think that this setup would be a no brainer for city police vehicles also.

I would think the Tesla X would suffice

Max said:
I get monthly coupons from my local ford dealer for oil changes, brake fluid change/inspection, etc. .. I am all for marketing to get me back into the dealership but at least know what type of car you sold me.. I wouldn't mind getting a coupon for a car wash/detail or other EV related diagnostics, but I have no use for an oil change.
A couple of weeks after I purchased my FFE, I got a coupon for my first oil change free. I sent my sales advisor an email about it, pointing out (humorously) exactly what you say here. About a week later, I received a $20 giftcard from Starbucks in the mail, along with a handwritten card (as opposed to something that was obviously a mass mailer) from the GM of the dealer thanking me for my purchase. Not sure if the two are related, but I certainly appreciated the gesture. I didn't get that much when I bought my last BMW a few years ago!!!

Keith

michael said:
While I am disappointed with Ford, I still think the FFE is a good car, just obsolescent. More battery and I would be fine with it for another three years. All 80 mile class cars are obsolescent. (Note..I didn't say obsolete, it's not)

I would suggest that EVs are not at their best for people with three mile commutes, however. People who drive very little don't get the savings. I drive mine 80-100 miles a day, and it's doing a great job for me. I am, however, totally at the mercy of home and workplace charging both being available. If I had 30 or 35 kWh usable capacity, I would be in a much more self-controlled situation.

I really don't care if the car goes 250 miles....if I need to do that, my Volt does the job better. I really don't care if it has fast charging...I don't want to be dependent on getting access. But I do feel the lack of range, particularly now that capacity fade is beginning to be noticeable. Please, Ford, stuff more batteries into a car and I'm happy,

Yes, I feel the same way.

Ford, stuff an extra battery pack in my 2013 FFE that will give me 25 more miles to handle the winter drain. Use the entire trunk space if necessary. I'll pay cash!!!

michael said:
I agree! And this is why ours is a lease... One day it will be obsolete. For now it's just on its way...

I hope Ford has not given up on us!!! I was looking to see if there was going to be any changes to the FFE in the near future. Hopefully with Chevy bringing out the Bolt Ford will get moving and upgrade the Focus. I enjoy driving my car and have driven over 5000 miles since 4-29-15. I am leasing the car. I have only needed to drive my gas car 6 times. I do not now what the cold weather will do to my range. My commute is 23 miles (most of it is speeds over 55) one way. I love having only to bring the car back to the dealer to rotate the tires.

tapperjimd said:
I hope Ford has not given up on us!!! I was looking to see if there was going to be any changes to the FFE in the near future. Hopefully with Chevy bringing out the Bolt Ford will get moving and upgrade the Focus. I enjoy driving my car and have driven over 5000 miles since 4-29-15. I am leasing the car. I have only needed to drive my gas car 6 times. I do not now what the cold weather will do to my range. My commute is 23 miles (most of it is speeds over 55) one way. I love having only to bring the car back to the dealer to rotate the tires.

I agree, hopefully they will. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any positive indication of either of these things happening. By contrast, GM has been specific about the Bolt being available in the reasonably near future. I'm betting on the Bolt beating Tesla 3 to market.

Unless the dealer is rotating the tires for free, if you have an America's Tire Company nearby they will rotate the tires for free, plus they will fix flats for free, I've had very good luck with them.

if your commute is only 23 miles, you are in absolutely solid shape even during cold weather.

The May issue of Car and Driver had a list of "25 Cars Worth Waiting For". The 2018 Bolt was on the list, and they said that competitors included used BMW I3s, the next gen Leaf, and the upcoming Tesla 3. They didn't list anything from Ford.

michael said:
They didn't list anything from Ford.
To be fair Ford hasn't announced anything that would even be considered for that list (at least EV wise). Other than the GT, and the Focus RS which are on that list (http://www.caranddriver.com/features/25-cars-worth-waiting-for-20162019-feature ).

I think that is what has most of us frustrated with Ford: They haven't said a peep about any future EV plans (not even dropping a hint or two).

I'm guessing the stopper is: Mark Fields. When Mulally was in charge since he wasn't really "a car guy" he probably took a lot of advice from Bill Ford and we all know Bill is the big green driver in Ford. Mark Fields *is* a car guy and most likely takes less advice from Bill. Thus fewer plug-ins appear in the product lineup and more performance cars. The board is happy as long as Ford reaps profits so they probably also ignore Bill. Ok yeah pure speculation on my part but "informed" speculation :).

I would think Ford does have some development work going on. I beleave this because of the increased personel Ford has taken on over the last year. It is yet to be seen if such efforts will result in a vehicle being brought to market.

Back