What is the farthest you have gotten on a charge.

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triangles

I was wondering. What is the farthest distance you have driven on a charge and still made it home or to your charging destination? I have not had the opportunity yet to push the limits and was wondering what other people have gotten.

I'm lame and haven't pushed it too far.

I think the farthest we've gone is about 35 miles out (and thus 70 miles total). Our furthest trip was a bit over 120 miles which included a charge to full somewhere in there.

A 104 miles is the longest I have driven on a single charge. The longest planned trip is 80 miles on a single charge. This is done with two people in the car and loaded down with camping gear. This is done at 45 mph on country roads, and hill climbing at the end of the trip.

Commuting and running errands around town over 4 days, I plugged in last nite with 85.8 mi. on the clock and 4 mi. remaining on the GOM.

This is my wife's car so she drives it most of the time. Her round trip commute is about 34 miles with 2 significant hills. She babies the car and can usually bring it home with 60+ miles left. She gets really nervous when the miles fall under 30. Whenever I get in the car it usually shows a range of 104 to 110 miles.

My commute, on the other hand, is about 70 miles round-trip (with the same two big hills). I tend to be more aggressive on my driving partially due to ICE drivers who pull right up on EV drivers bumpers, even when we are in the slow lanes, if they feel you're going to slow.

Part of the fun for me on driving the FFE is to see how fast I can actually go and still make it home with the least amount of reserve miles. It adds a little spice to the driving experience. For those of you who are wondering i've actually been able to drive almost 1 extra mile on a totally depleted battery with all the warning lights flashing while driving uphill. I was just able to make it to the crest of the hill and by the time I got to the bottom of the hill I had gained 2 extra miles which was just enough to get me home and in the garage.

In rush hour traffic I once left work with less than 37 miles showing on my FFE and was able to make it home with 7 miles to spare just by using the regenative braking.

MirEgal said:
This is my wife's car so she drives it most of the time. Her round trip commute is about 34 miles with 2 significant hills. She babies the car and can usually bring it home with 60+ miles left. She gets really nervous when the miles fall under 30.
My wife also gets really nervous when the remaining range gets under 30 miles even when she's only 5-10 miles away from home. Part of it is that she often doesn't realize how close she is to home from a miles perspective because she's thinking about her distance in terms of minutes of driving and relating minutes to miles too closely.

hybridbear said:
MirEgal said:
This is my wife's car so she drives it most of the time. Her round trip commute is about 34 miles with 2 significant hills. She babies the car and can usually bring it home with 60+ miles left. She gets really nervous when the miles fall under 30.
My wife also gets really nervous when the remaining range gets under 30 miles even when she's only 5-10 miles away from home. Part of it is that she often doesn't realize how close she is to home from a miles perspective because she's thinking about her distance in terms of minutes of driving and relating minutes to miles too closely.
One trick to ease range anxiety is to simply turn on the navi. When driving around town, set the destination to "home", answer "yes" to the "will you charge there" question, and then the estimate display will switch from a "status number" to "surplus number" (i.e., how much range you'll have left after reaching your destination). Just turn off the voice prompts, and just drive around town doing your errands. You don't even need to keep the MFT screen on navigation... switch it back to entertainment if you like.

The point is, with the navi engaged, no matter where you drive around town, a positive surplus number will always reassure that you have enough to make it home, plus that much more. For example, when the surplus is something like +30 by the end of your errands, this also begins to put in perspective how far away (er, how close) home really is.

About 90 miles without climate control and about 35-45 mph roads.

I have a 50 mile daily commute in Texas with full climate control. If you count lunch jaunts I hit 60 often. Never an issue. Winter with heater it can be a little close for comfort.

Back