AC smells like fish when starting up

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbeasst

i drive 75 miles round trip per day to work so i never use the AC on the ride, but when i turn it on after sitting all day on the trip home the first 30 seconds the smell that comes out smells like fish or wet dog or something.

any thoughts as the car isn't even a year old?

Likely the reason it stinks is because when you just shut it off the car with the AC on your evaporator is wet from condensation. Letting something wet sit in a warm environment tends to promote stinky things growing. If you turn off the AC while leaving the blower going on high before arriving at your destination, it has a chance to dry out the moisture on the evaporator so things don't get stinky.

blackbeasst said:
i drive 75 miles round trip per day to work so i never use the AC on the ride, but when i turn it on after sitting all day on the trip home the first 30 seconds the smell that comes out smells like fish or wet dog or something.

any thoughts as the car isn't even a year old?

This is typical with any car. A/C condensation produces stagnant water that can smell first few seconds if the water is allowed to sit. If you use AC continuously, the water buildup doesn't get too bad. This topic is extensively discussed on http://community.cartalk.com forums -

Back