Sudden power loss on new 2015

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob6894

My FEE suddenly lost power tonight while driving and a wrench came on that said see manual. All the manual says is power train issue if problem persists see dealer. Pressed the power button tried to drive a and car got about 5 feet and stopes again I then tried again and all is working fine. I am obviously going to bring the car to the dealer. I know earlier modle years had a stop safky now but I never saw that message. Anyone else with this problem?

Thanks

My wife and I just experienced this problem 3 weeks ago while driving our 2014 FFE with only 7k miles on it. Luckily I was in the car and told her what to do and she didn't panic. The immediate fix for this to get you driving is the following:

1) Safely pull over to the side of the road
2) Turn car off
3) Open the drivers door (this resets something)
4) Close door and restart car and drive home/dealer

The car will run but you may have another SSN (Stop Safely Now-Wrench) error and will have to do the same thing over again. Because it's my wife's car I chose to drive the car home and then to take it to the dealer the next day as i did not want my wife to loose confidence in the car as that can be a disaster.

Unfortunately when I parked the car in the garage somehow it was left on and the regular 12volt battery also drained. Luckily we always leave the window open in the garage so it was easy to get into the car pop the hood and recharge the 12 volt battery.

So back to your question. I got a call from Ford dealer and the problem is with the "High Voltage Battery cable". This is a known problem with Ford; at my dealer alone 3 vehicles came in right after mine with the exact same problem. The problem is even though Ford is aware of it they haven't done any preparation for it. The cables are all on back order and there is not date as to when they will be shipping them.

In addition to that Ford does not "Offer" upfront to pay for the rental car. To get that you need to complain to ford 1-800-392-3673, option #4 (Customer service), #3 (Electric Vehicle) and ask for a case # and request that they provide a free rental car.

One last item. Everybody who is currently experiencing this issue should call up to Ford and complain about Ford knowing this issue and not being proactive about having replacements cable ready to install. This may help get Ford moving so that others can get their vehicles fixed in a more timely fashion.

Thanks.

Has this issue been fixed in produced cars at some point? Mine was built on 5/12/15.

scottt said:
Has this issue been fixed in produced cars at some point? Mine was built on 5/12/15.

Apparently not. The original post in this thread is a 2015 model. Mine is a 2014. I had read about the 2012-2013 having a SSN (Stop Safely Now) problem but it appears that it was more software related. Mine (and the 3 FFE's that came in right after mine) are all hardware (High Voltage Battery cable) related and according to last call from my dealer the part is "still" on back order from the OEM part vendor with no scheduled delivery date.

http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=900&start=570
Be sure to check out the big SSN Warning thread here that features photos of the wiring harness.

Recent posts give details:

"what they're trying to fix with the harness replacement is the failure of the High Voltage Interlock pins in the main battery feed connector. There is really nothing wrong with the harness, but the little shorting pins are breaking their connections and causing the car to think you unplugged a high voltage connector.
They are replacing a $1k+ harness for $0.02 of shorting pins...
TSB 15-0031 addresses cleaning these pins. I would have the dealer try that if you're having SSN issues."

scottt said:

One thing to keep in mind is that this isn't just 'one issue'. These symptoms can occur from a number of problems, and not just the wiring harness. Loose wiring anywhere in the car, especially common grounds can cause all sorts of issues including SSN, which happened to my 2015. But those usually include the SSN. It's strange that the OP gets a stall and just a wrench.

Steve

Hi everyone,

My wife has the exact same issue on our 2017 FFE. It only had 600 kms on it when it happened last Friday and the dealership still has it at the moment to do more testing. Instead of the SSN notification, she received the yellow wrench notification on the dashboard.
I cannot believe that this issue has not been resolved for 2017 model years. I hope that they resolve this quickly.

Back