Fan while charging

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trey

I just need to gut check something. Do I have a fault with my vehicle if a fan runs sometimes while the car is plugged in and charging? Has anyone that has an FFE experienced it last year? I have not owned the car during the warm seasons yet as mine was delivered in January.

I had it happen again last night in Atlanta. The fan was running and the charging cable was a bit warm as well. It was hot in my garage so I hope it was just to keep the battery cool, but I do not want to assume. Is it normal for the fan to run when the car is hot and plugged in to charge? It was at least 90 degrees in my garage last night.

Trey said:
I just need to gut check something. Do I have a fault with my vehicle if a fan runs sometimes while the car is plugged in and charging? Has anyone that has an FFE experienced it last year? I have not owned the car during the warm seasons yet as mine was delivered in January.

I had it happen again last night in Atlanta. The fan was running and the charging cable was a bit warm as well. It was hot in my garage so I hope it was just to keep the battery cool, but I do not want to assume. Is it normal for the fan to run when the car is hot and plugged in to charge? It was at least 90 degrees in my garage last night.
Sounds like you were hearing the TMS (thermal management system) for the HVB. It works like an AC unit by running coolant through a radiator to remove heat from the HVB & on-board charger.

When you hear this noise, smile to yourself and be glad that your FFE has a decent thermal management system for the battery, unlike some other EVs (*cough*) Leaf.

Having an effective TMS should lengthen the usable lifespan of your battery.

Thanks for putting my fears to rest. I noticed it did not make the noise this morning when it was cooler in the garage, and it did not make the noise when I got to work and plugged in.

The technology Ford put into this vehicle is easily overlooked and when compared with other EVs. It often comes out on top in areas few people would notice. Thanks again for the replies.

I recently noticed the fan coming on when I switched from my 110V to 220 in my garage. It never happened with the 110V. Now a couple times the fan kicks on near the end of the charging. My garage is warm but not hot. Maybe 75-80 F. What exactly triggers the fan?

TomEV said:
What exactly triggers the fan?
Battery temperature. The Level 2 charger you recently installed causes the battery to heat up far greater than a Level 1 charger thus the fan will run more--especially at the end of a charge cycle. This is normal.

Back