Recommendations for warranty extensions

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olagon

Anyone have advice for a new FFE owner? Dealer wanted $1,700 for a warranty extension (Ford PremiumCare). I see the same package for a lot less at http://www.floodfordesp.com/. There are so many options. What's best for a FFE? I'm looking at getting the 8 year 75,000 mile option noted below. Anyone look more into the value of these extensions for this type of vehicle?

Thanks!

nFS0uOh.png

I got some info from this thread http://www.myfocuselectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=844&hilit=ford+esp. Trying to figure out what an extended warranty means for the FFE. Does it cover everything mechanical and electrical other than the battery? I'll call around and share what I learn.

Online you can read the full description of what's covered. PremiumCare is basically bumper to bumper. Remember than the battery & EV drivertrain are covered for 8 yrs/100k miles (or 10/150 in CARB states). The regular powertrain is covered by Ford's 5/60 powertrain warranty.

Also, you have until the day before your 3/36 warranty expires to purchase an ESP from Flood Ford or anyone else. You don't need to buy it now.

Anderson-Koch Ford here in Minneapolis also sells the Ford ESP at prices similar to Flood. It appears that certain vehicles/plans are cheaper at Anderson Koch and some are cheaper at Flood.

hybridbear said:
Online you can read the full description of what's covered. PremiumCare is basically bumper to bumper. Remember than the battery & EV drivertrain are covered for 8 yrs/100k miles (or 10/150 in CARB states). The regular powertrain is covered by Ford's 5/60 powertrain warranty.

Also, you have until the day before your 3/36 warranty expires to purchase an ESP from Flood Ford or anyone else. You don't need to buy it now.

Anderson-Koch Ford here in Minneapolis also sells the Ford ESP at prices similar to Flood. It appears that certain vehicles/plans are cheaper at Anderson Koch and some are cheaper at Flood.

Thanks! That clears up a bunch of things for me. I just plugged in a 3 year old Fusion Electric with 35,000 miles into the Flood website. I got a quote just $40 more than a plan for the current model. Doesn't seem like pricing jumps much for getting the warranty later.

If the car gets totalled before three years, I'll lose our warranty value (and hopefully nothing else!). But I know I may forget to add it so probably just going to pull the trigger this weekend and pick up coverage.

BTW I just checked if someone on eBay sells ESP and found a whole lot of nonsense being sold! Who buys this stuff?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=ford+extended+service+plan&_sop=16

Olagon said:
hybridbear said:

Thanks! That clears up a bunch of things for me. I just plugged in a 3 year old Fusion Electric with 35,000 miles into the Flood website. I got a quote just $40 more than a plan for the current model. Doesn't seem like pricing jumps much for getting the warranty later.

If the car gets totalled before three years, I'll lose our warranty value (and hopefully nothing else!). But I know I may forget to add it so probably just going to pull the trigger this weekend and pick up coverage.
You do pay $40 more to buy later. I think it's after about 5k miles or so. You are correct that you'd lose coverage if your car is totaled. However, if you read the fine print you may be able to get a refund from the ESP selling dealer in that case minus a processing fee and minus any use of the warranty.

I'd still think it's better to wait. By 35 months or 35k miles you should be pretty sure if you're going to keep the car a long time or not and if it's prone to problems. A lot can change in that time.

hybridbear said:
Remember than the battery & EV drivertrain are covered for 8 yrs/100k miles (or 10/150 in CARB states).
Although California is a CARB state, as far as I could tell, only PZEVs, and not full-battery electrics, qualify for the CARB 10/150 battery/drivetrain warranty coverage. We're only covered for 8/100 here in California for our FFEs, right?

"According to Nissan North American Director of EVs, Mark Perry . . . 'No battery warranty requirement/regulations from CARB for ZEV . . . Nothing for the air resources board to regulate.'" --from GM-Volt.com.

studio460 said:
hybridbear said:
Remember than the battery & EV drivertrain are covered for 8 yrs/100k miles (or 10/150 in CARB states).
Although California is a CARB state, as far as I could tell, only PZEVs, and not full-battery electrics, qualify for the CARB 10/150 battery/drivetrain warranty coverage. We're only covered for 8/100 here in California for our FFEs, right?
I was going to point this out also. It is a common misconception about the CARB warranty extension applying to EVs. It does not, for a rational reason:

The CARB is solely concerned about emissions. The failure of a hybrid battery could effect emission controls and actual emissions from a gas engine. Since an EV emits NOTHING, the CARB does not care if a battery fails.

unplugged said:
The CARB is solely concerned about emissions. The failure of a hybrid battery could effect emission controls and actual emissions from a gas engine. Since an EV emits NOTHING, the CARB does not care if a battery fails.
That is true and makes a certain sense from the point of view of a single PHEV car.

However, you'd think the CARB regulation would also be concerned with keeping BEVs on the road, and helping convince more folks to buy a BEV by guaranteeing longevity.

After all, if your battery fails and leaves you unable to drive your BEV, or afford the necessary repairs or another BEV, you might need to resort to buying a polluting gasser once again.

WattsUp said:
However, you'd think the CARB regulation would also be concerned with keeping BEVs on the road, and helping convince more folks to buy a BEV by guaranteeing longevity.

After all, if your battery fails and leaves you unable to drive your BEV, or afford the necessary repairs or another BEV, you might need to resort to buying a polluting gasser once again.
Again from CARB's point of view, they aren't in the business of extending manufacturer warranties for any reason other than emissions. That is beyond their mission scope.

unplugged said:
they aren't in the business of extending manufacturer warranties for any reason other than emissions
And by "emissions", do you mean "equipment added to an emitting vehicle that reduces its emissions"?

I can see how the battery/motor of a hybrid would fit that qualification, but not the battery/motor of a pure electric vehicle.

WattsUp said:
unplugged said:
they aren't in the business of extending manufacturer warranties for any reason other than emissions
And by "emissions", do you mean "equipment added to an emitting vehicle that reduces its emissions"?

I can see how the battery/motor of a hybrid would fit that qualification, but not the battery/motor of a pure electric vehicle.
Exactly right. CARB is concerned about the increased emissions resulting from a depleted hybrid battery. The automaker certified the hybrid to meet certain emission standards when new, and under California law, that certification must be maintained for 10 years or 150,000 miles. Thus, the hybrid battery must maintain a minimum performance standard throughout that term.

Back