2012 FFE 150 miles. What's it worth?

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I recently purchased a 2012 Focus E that was a dealer leftover. White platinum. Loaded. Currently has 150 miles with a new warranty. Purchased for my wife but she may need a larger vehicle w the kids. What would you all think I could resell the car for?

Thanks much.

The second owner cannot claim the tax credit so it won't be worth much for resale. Considering that a new 2014 goes for around $20k with the new Ford MSRP, incentives and tax credit it sounds like you'll be somewhere less than that.

Focus12titanium said:
Thanks. I'm thinking of listing for around $16k. We'll see!
Do you have any more details about the car? I wish we were in the market to buy a used one like that because it could potentially be a great deal. Especially since the 2012s had some extra features which aren't available on 2013s & 2014s such as rain sensing wipers and HomeLink. Do the 2012s also have the auto-dimming rear view mirror?

So you bought the car, put 150 miles on it and are already selling it? Also, where are you - I may know some one who might be interested.

I love the car and would keep it if I could use it for my DD. I bought it for my wife and she loves it but after much discussion it won't be big enough for her. Located in Orange County, ny. I have the window sticker and photos I can email. Just send me your email address. Thx.

Focus12titanium said:
I love the car and would keep it if I could use it for my DD. I bought it for my wife and she loves it but after much discussion it won't be big enough for her. Located in Orange County, ny. I have the window sticker and photos I can email. Just send me your email address. Thx.
I've reached out to my friend to see if she's interested. You're only about 165 miles from her, so distance is manageable. I'll let you know if this is something she'd like to pursue.

hybridbear said:
Focus12titanium said:
Thanks. I'm thinking of listing for around $16k. We'll see!
Do you have any more details about the car? I wish we were in the market to buy a used one like that because it could potentially be a great deal. Especially since the 2012s had some extra features which aren't available on 2013s & 2014s such as rain sensing wipers and HomeLink. Do the 2012s also have the auto-dimming rear view mirror?

Yes, it has the auto dimming rear view mirror. I like it a Lot. along with the rain sensing wipers. I have the home link too but no door opener on my garage to use it on.

Focus12titanium said:
So I recently purchased a 2012 Focus E that was a dealer leftover. White platinum. Loaded. Currently has 150 miles with a new warranty. Purchased for my wife but she may need a larger vehicle w the kids. What would you all think I could resell the car for?

Thanks much.
It's too bad you weren't selling back in June when we were looking because we likely would've bought it.

Leather or cloth interior?
With leather, you also get a power driver's seat.

The rain sensing wipers and auto dimming mirror make the 2012s slightly more desirable than the later model years.

What's a fair price? I'm surprised I haven't had any calls w the autotrader listing... I think $16800 is a really good deal.

Car is like new w a full warranty and in mint condition. Anyone have any suggestions for other sites to list for sale? Right now I have it on CL and autotrader. I'd like to avoid eBay because it costs $125 to list if I can...

Thx all.

So here are some thoughts from a former car guy. Dealer, trader, mechanic, etc...

1. Remember that the FFE sells very slowly in the first place. Nationwide Ford sells a few hundred per month. A lot, perhaps half, are in California. The vast majority are in the west, including California, Oregon, Washington. So there isn't a whole lot of demand in your neck of the woods.

2. In your case, you have even fewer potential customers to sell to because anyone who qualifies for the Federal tax credit ($7500) and any state program (GA = $5000, CA = $2500, etc) could buy a brand new FFE locally from their dealer for less than what you are offering. At least they could have up until very recently in my area. So your potential customers are those that want an FFE but can't take advantage of the tax credit for some reason -- not enough taxable income -- but still have the money to spend. Them's slim pickins....

3. You need to expose your car to as many people as you possibly can. You also need to get the point across that the car is NEW (or almost new) and that the warranty has almost 3 years left on it. It does, doesn't it? To do that, people have to read the description. If they search on AutoTrader for a 2013, 2014, "certified" or "new", they'll never even see your car. I think the right platform for this is, in fact, e-Bay. I have found that for unusual and high-end stuff, e-Bay is the best method because it reaches the widest possible worldwide audience. With the limited special interest cars, you need widest net possible. You may sell your car to someone in Hawaii or Finland! People use e-Bay as their first or second place to look for stuff, as an appraisal tool and as a buyers guide to all sorts of stuff. If you doubt me, go to e-Bay and type in "Ferrari 430", then narrow the search down to "Cars and Trucks". There's a lot of 'em on there--that is where they are bought and sold. There is also an 2012 FFE with 228 miles, search for item # 321612143179

4. It is going to be very difficult to get people to see a 2012 model as a new car. In fact, a large part of competing offers are actually lemons--buybacks being marketed by dealer(s) as used cars. Apparently they don't reveal the lemonhood until after they've shown you the car and you drive it, but title checks show the buyback status on quite a few of these. Obviously a lemon, fixed or not, should sell at a discount to your car. Still, a 3-year old car with no miles raises questions.

In your shoes, I would put it on e-Bay for $16,900 with a "Best Offer" option and see what sort of responses you get. Best of luck to you!

Absolutely agree. Such a shame though that this car could be the perfect option (and a great deal) for someone local if the awareness was higher.

Ebay is my last option, as I wanted to avoid the shipping mess if I could. Would prefer a local sale.

I stopped by a random dealership today, and after much conversation, they offered $14k. I think I can do better than that though, so turned it down...

Thanks for the comments!

Back