New Golf E - FFE prime competitor

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epaminondas

Interesting - the new Golf E considers the FFE, the Leaf and the Volt in its "competitive set"

http://insideevs.com/2015-volkswagen-e-golf-gets-epa-rated-83-mile-range-116-mpge/

Since the FFE price cut

http://insideevs.com/report-ford-slashes-focus-electric-price-6000-now-starts-29995/

it is about 6k more however and doesn't have a battery cooler which could be a problem in southern lattitudes.

Great cargo area but is it worth 6 k more?

Whats the HV battery size and estimated range?
Another competitor is the new Kia Soul EV that has a little bigger battery and 90+mile range in comparison, plus lots more cargo space.

In my opinion, any EV that lacks a liquid cooling system should not be considered until and unless it proves itself over a multi-year period. VW's claims that the electric Golf doesn't require liquid cooling sound just like Nissan's did several years go.

Show me then I'll believe. Until then is simply an assertion.

I'm just thrilled to see these EVs coming on the market and being advertised and promoted. We're seeing incremental improvements in battery chemistry and the more LG Chem and Panasonic can sell, the better their economies of scale get.

I give a thumbs up to every Leaf driver I see, and in Seattle that's quite a lot. The other day I was in traffic on the I-5 northbound and found myself in a string of [Leaf - Model S - FFE - Leaf] electric vehicles.

That's exactly the thought process I went through last month....while I would have loved the better cargo space, I just didn't think it was worth $5-6K more than the price of the FFE after the Ford incentive (or the several month wait for the eGolf to become available).

Added bonus was that personally I just like the styling of the Focus much better than the Golf...

We just took delivery on a FFE... purchased, not leased. The logic was that there are robust incentives now supporting the purchase. By the end of the useful life of the car, we expect EV/battery development and market to be sufficient enough to afford to replace the one we just bought (we were not so sure this would be the case in three years). Recent entries by Benz, VW and BMW into the EV market as well as Tesla's jump into battery manufacture all support this assertion. The more the merrier!

Jenny

jenjc said:
We just took delivery on a FFE... purchased, not leased. The logic was that there are robust incentives now supporting the purchase. By the end of the useful life of the car, we expect EV/battery development and market to be sufficient enough to afford to replace the one we just bought (we were not so sure this would be the case in three years). Recent entries by Benz, VW and BMW into the EV market as well as Tesla's jump into battery manufacture all support this assertion. The more the merrier!

Jenny

We purchased with the same reasoning. With all of the incentives - plus we got 0 interest for 5 years - it is a really good way to go I think. I had originally planned to lease but the purchased penciled out better I thought. O interest, dealer incentive, no sales tax, 7500 federal rebate - wow - pretty darn good deal

Back