So far so good.

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Jodice

I have had my focus 2 months, 8430 miles and it is everything I hoped it would be. I bought this car solely for my 54 mile each way commute, if it did nothing more I would be happy. In reality I have only driven my other car ( Ford Excursion) when the reason for the drive was to tow or carry something that needed a truck. Everything else the focus did. I have found my commute in my opinion is perfect for this car. Driven conservatively I get to work with +/- 40% left. Driven like everyone else (to fast) in the Boston MA area with the climate control on auto 72 degrees I still get to work with +/-30%. I have my fingers crossed that my 30-40% reserve will be enough to make up for the energy needs in the winter. Knock on wood, I have had no problems with anything on the car, batteries have been very predictable always giving me the range I expect without exception. Yeah, I love the car.

Tim Jodice said:
I have had my focus 2 months, 8430 miles and it is everything I hoped it would be. I bought this car solely for my 54 mile each way commute, if it did nothing more I would be happy. In reality I have only driven my other car ( Ford Excursion) when the reason for the drive was to tow or carry something that needed a truck. Everything else the focus did. I have found my commute in my opinion is perfect for this car. Driven conservatively I get to work with +/- 40% left. Driven like everyone else (to fast) in the Boston MA area with the climate control on auto 72 degrees I still get to work with +/-30%. I have my fingers crossed that my 30-40% reserve will be enough to make up for the energy needs in the winter. Knock on wood, I have had no problems with anything on the car, batteries have been very predictable always giving me the range I expect without exception. Yeah, I love the car.
Same here. I have had my FFE for about three weeks now and I the only time I've driven my other car (Cadillac Escalade) was to move it to the other side of the garage so I can install my 240 charger. Lol. We got it mainly for taking our kids to school (long commute) and found us driving it every where. So far we love it and not having to put $100 in gas every week has been awesome. We plan on seeing how that Tesla Model X turn out and setting our sites on selling the Escalade to get that.

Snowball 14 said:
So far we love it and not having to put $100 in gas every week has been awesome.
Just wait until your electric bill comes in: I went from a daily driver F-350 to our FFE over the course of a few years. My monthly fuel bill for driving went from $350+/month to $30 (in summer, closer to $50 in winter).
People I talk to are astonished. They ask "What is your electric bill like?" expecting some outrageous figure only to be met with my "$30" reply! (The $30/$50 figures for me are also when I value charge most of the time. I have a ridiculously low $0.035/kWhr overnight rate.)

We have three EV's (Focus plus two Volts) in the family and our electric bill has risen only about $100/month. Gasoline is almost nil and among the three cars we are driving around 4000 miles a month.

I have had my FFE 5 months now driven 17400 miles. In my opinion theses cars are great! With the cold here my reserve is down around 15% when it is in the 20s. That is with the CC set to 72 auto and driving around 65MPH. If the margins get below 10% I can always slow down and turn the CC down. No issues and based off the display the battery has 18.8-19.1kwh of power. Twice I pushed it too far and got down to 0% and it continued to drive almost 1 mile to my house at reduced power. I have never driven it until it would not drive so I don't know how much is really available.

I have now had the car 16 months and driven 39800 miles. I have had no problems whatsoever. It hasn't needed any work except for rotating the tires and replacing the windshield wipers. My route is still the same 54 miles each way and there is the same battery margin there was when it was new which is about 30 in the summer and 5-10 in the winter. 80% highway. Having a known route I know if I keep my Wh/mi under 340 I will make it so I usually set the climate control to 72 auto and adjust my speed to keep consumption under 340. Of course in the summer there are no limits on how I drive. When it is below 0 I need to drive about 55-60 mph so I can keep the heat on 72 auto. I will be the first to admit that I am a bitch and I like being warm with out dressing up like I am outside. Some might think it is crazy cutting the margin so close in the winter but I have 13 charging on the way so if I come up short I just stop for a bit. I haven't needed to do that. Still lovin the car like I did when I bought it. The only thing I worry about is the batteries degrading to the point I can't use it to go to work.

Thanks for the update. I laughed reading it when you mentioned about bundling up. I think I'm the polar opposite. I'm that idiot you see out there riding a motorcycle when it's 6F.

triangles said:
Thanks for the update. I laughed reading it when you mentioned about bundling up. I think I'm the polar opposite. I'm that idiot you see out there riding a motorcycle when it's 6F.

Your anything but an idiot because if you were what would that make us that ride snowmobiles????

LOL :lol: that's funny because whenever one of my coworkers or friends give me grief about riding in the cold I always shut them down by asking them how it's any different than riding a snowmobile. Some day I will have one of these bad boys: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1c6W8xbF_s

Back