My random thoughts/comments/questions/concerns as I go

Ford Focus Electric Forum

Help Support Ford Focus Electric Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbeasst

figured i'd make a thread about things that come to mind and clump them here instead of making numerous threads :D

first things first.....

#1 can the cup holder doohickey things be removed that "help" cups stay in? they are in no way styrofoam friendly :evil:

#2 why is it one night of charging yields 105 to empty, but the next night i top out 85?

#3 does anyone else have a problem with moths/other bugs making the interior of the car their personal living space? i woke up to 3 moths hanging out on the ceiling this morning. i've also noticed a lot of spiderwebs strown about the car :lol:

thats all for now. check back later for more :!:

#1. Not sure, but I totally agree. I'm absolutely certain that there will be a massive spill because of them.

#2. Guess-o-meter. Based on some guessing about your driving habits.

#3. I haven't had that experience.

#2 Deserves a little more explanation. The range on the guess o meter is based on your most recent trip or trips if they are short ones. That number can move around a lot if you drive in different conditions or drive differently.

Conditions are - use the heater (even accidently if the outside temperature is very near the temp you set in the car), use the air conditioner, drive really fast, get really bad brake scores in the brake coach screen. Those can all negatively impact range.

What doesn't matter - the radio, the headlights, the windshield wipers, the interior lights, the Nav system, something plugged in the 12V outlet. The seat heaters don't use a lot of energy either - especially compared to the heater.

Your big energy user is the heater by far - like an order of 10 far.

The other thing you can control - braking - anticipate and get 100% every time. Acceleration isn't a really bad thing. But going over like 65 or 70 MPH does kill your range. Stop and go traffic, range loves that, you'll add range like crazy. City driving is also good for range.

To a certain extent hills kind of matter. Actually mountains matter, hills a lot less. 6% grades matter. You also get a lot of energy back on the down side.

blackbeasst said:
figured i'd make a thread about things that come to mind and clump them here instead of making numerous threads :D

first things first.....

#1 can the cup holder doohickey things be removed that "help" cups stay in? they are in no way styrofoam friendly :evil:

#2 why is it one night of charging yields 105 to empty, but the next night i top out 85?

#3 does anyone else have a problem with moths/other bugs making the interior of the car their personal living space? i woke up to 3 moths hanging out on the ceiling this morning. i've also noticed a lot of spiderwebs strown about the car :lol:

1) What center doohickey? We don't have anything in our cup holders? Do you have a picture?
2) Everyone else has answered this thoroughly already.
3) No issues for us. Do you park with your windows opened? We always park with our windows closed.

hybridbear said:
1) What center doohickey? We don't have anything in our cup holders? Do you have a picture?
I believe that he is referring to the two flaps that protrude out from the rear side of each cup holder that are there to hold whatever is put in the cup holder in place.
Our 2012 ICE Focus did not have those. They are pretty stiff and are not really "soft cup" friendly (paper, styrofoam, solo, etc.).
Don't have a picture off hand...

hybridbear said:
3) No issues for us. Do you park with your windows opened? We always park with our windows closed.

1. see below
2. yeah that makes sense. always a good read from jmueller!
3. nope im always in the garage with windows up. no biggie, just found it odd :)

jmueller065 said:
hybridbear said:
I believe that he is referring to the two flaps that protrude out from the rear side of each cup holder that are there to hold whatever is put in the cup holder in place.
Our 2012 ICE Focus did not have those. They are pretty stiff and are not really "soft cup" friendly (paper, styrofoam, solo, etc.).

correct. the black flaps that don't play nice at all with paper/styrofoam cups in the least bit. had a couple spillages before i learned my lesson

16k2lav.jpg

blackbeasst said:
hybridbear said:

1. see below
2. yeah that makes sense. always a good read from jmueller!
3. nope im always in the garage with windows up. no biggie, just found it odd :)

jmueller065 said:
hybridbear said:

correct. the black flaps that don't play nice at all with paper/styrofoam cups in the least bit. had a couple spillages before i learned my lesson

16k2lav.jpg
Now I get it! Those things are very annoying! They catch my water bottle too.

blackbeasst said:

first things first.....

#1 Yeah I am paranoid about my Chick-Fil-A cups puncturing when I pick up breakfast. I put a piece of paper between the cup and 'holder' which helps a bit.

#2 Guess-o-meter is changing the Wh/mi used to calcualate range between days.

#3 Yes. Spiders seem to love the FFE. My wife is used to leaving the window down, and her keys in the car (paranoid about locking them in the car) when it is parked in the garage. Now she leaves everything sealed up and hangs her key on the hook inside.

The cupholder flaps seem to soften over time but 19 months in, I still don't trust a Dunkin Donuts cup of hot coffee there. A paper coffee cup with a cardboard sleeve is the safest disposable cup style I've found for hot drinks in the holder. The sleeve stays in the holder allowing the cup to easily slide in and out. Perhaps a second styro cup would work similarly?

I have definitely had some spiders but that doesn't seem any different than my previous car. No other bugs or critters.

ha! 19 months? i think i'll be taking a razor blade to mine before that!

and i had 2 more moths on my ceiling this morning :(

#4. is it me or does this thing feel like you're driving a boat when you're at about 65-70mph? seems to be swaying back and forth and won't keep a straight line.

blackbeast said:
#4. is it me or does this thing feel like you're driving a boat when you're at about 65-70mph? seems to be swaying back and forth and won't keep a straight line.
It may be your car. Take it in for the dealer to look at for that.

At speed I can take my hands off the wheel and it will track straight and true.

#5. not sure when it actually does this but i find it quite annoying....when i have the car running, but in park, once i get out and close the door the horn honks twice. not the best option for when you have sleeping kids inside and you don't wanna wake them.

any idea why it does it or how to disable it?

Turn off the car, or leave the key in the car.

The horn honks twice because you exited the car (with the key) and left it "running". It is a warning that anyone could hop in and drive away. This is a feature found in all Ford's with "Intelligent Access with push-button start".

Text from the 2014 Escape's Owners manual:
Keyless Warning Alert (If Equipped)
Sounds the horn twice when you exit the
vehicle and the keyless vehicle is in RUN,
indicating the vehicle is still on.

jmueller065 said:
Turn off the car, or leave the key in the car.

The horn honks twice because you exited the car (with the key) and left it "running". It is a warning that anyone could hop in and drive away. This is a feature found in all Ford's with "Intelligent Access with push-button start".

Text from the 2014 Escape's Owners manual:
Keyless Warning Alert (If Equipped)
Sounds the horn twice when you exit the
vehicle and the keyless vehicle is in RUN,
indicating the vehicle is still on.

that would explain sometimes it doesn't do it if i leave the key in the car with the wifey vs having it in my pocket!

that leads me to my next 2 part question then...

#6a if i leave the car running and take the key with me is there a range that i have to stay in to keep the car running?
#6b if someone did hop in the car while running and i have the key what happens? can they actually drive it away? is there a distance it will go without the key near?

#6a/6b: According to the owner's manual the car will continue to run until shutoff. Thus someone could drive away and then be stuck wherever they stopped at.

cwstnsko said:
The real answer for me, If I want the AC to keep running for several minutes or somewhere other than home is to shut it off, climb out, and remote start it with the fob.
This is what we do as well.

Cut the top off a cup and insert the base into the cup holder. This will help prevent the rubber flap from damaging a foam cup that is placed into the cup holder.

unplugged said:
blackbeasst said:
i had 2 more moths on my ceiling this morning :(
Have you parked your car in the direct sun for any amount of time? The super-heated interior should kill any insects and their eggs, I would think.

not really. but this is getting pretty damn annoying. almost daily since i last posted i come out to a minimum of 2 moths (i think anyway) with sometimes 4 on there. if you barely touch them its like they explode and leave a smudge mark on the nice light tan headliner :evil:

where the crap could they be coming from? i park it a closed garage every night

Back